• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Speaking of the S hitting TF... While I am not a gamer, my son wants the new xbox video game "Homefront". I always check out games before he gets to play them. Check it out, looks pretty interesting and pertains to this topic.

That game does look really cool. I'll definately rent it, if not buy it. The director of "Red Dawn" helped make this game.
    Lynx Defense

striker25

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Dallas/Plano Border
    I think every guy in here probably either has one or is now thinking of making one. I have a really good kit made up. I take it with me every time I go hunting, fishing, camping, hiking ect.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    i'm just curious - what kind of scenarios are any of you expecting - to need a bug out bag?

examples?

Pretty much anything where I need to get out of town quick, or stay at my house for extended periods of time. Such as...
    Big ass tornado rips thru Midland
    Prolonged active shooter stand off in my neighborhhod, and the popo evacuates us
    Civil unrest due to various reasons(un takes over, increased cartel violence spreading north)
    Mexican army decides to take back Texas (lol)

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    i'm just curious - what kind of scenarios are any of you expecting - to need a bug out bag?

examples?
    you car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, snow storm has you penned in, tornado knocks out your town, flood knocks out your town, or those on the border-cartel violence jacks up your town, nuclear plant has a meltdown, hurricanes, asteroid hits your town, aliens land, zombies attack, the list can be very long if you keep thinking.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Where are you going to "bug out" to? And how will you survive along the way, and when you get there?
    One of several locations, depending on the threat. Last time, it was Ike, and my home was the BOL. The BOB still came in handy for a minor flesh wound, and came with me when I went out to run support and rescue. Survival also depends on the threat and where I'm going. While I can deal with a very limited amount of it, I seriously doubt society will go full mad max overnight.
    Evacuate by foot or by vehicle? What about family that has to "bug out" with you? What about those who might be left behind?
    Ideally by vehicle. Sailboat, bicycle, or foot if necessary.
    Do you have a communications plan (kids at school, wife or husband at work, old folks in the nursing home)?
    Yes. Cell phones, radios, live drops, virtual dead drops, physical dead drops, staging strategy defined, etc.
    How much does that "bug out bag" weigh, and can you hump it 20-25 clicks in a day if dismounted? Then, when/if you arrive at your destination, how will you deal with predators that got there first?
    Fully loaded, my BOB weighs about 20 lbs plus water. I could easily do 25 km in a day on foot if pressed.
    In my simple mind, a "bug out bag" is nothing more than a collection of of essential disaster supplies that will sustain my family "in place" until services/and or public order are restored. It is far more than a "bag." Our supplies consist of one month's water, food, sanitary supplies, and fuels. If order is not restored by then, well, we are just pooped, and will have to resort to our primal instincts or be slain!
    That's not a BOB. That's a hurricane pantry. I think you have the wrong idea of what a BOB is. It's made to be small, portable, sustain you for up to 72 hours with very limited resupply (eg, a source of dirty water), and allow you to bootstrap your life in a new civilization if possible (eg real estate records, bank records, medical records).
    It is better to defend what you've got in-place, than to strike out only to find thousands of like-minded individuals crowding the same roads, pathways, and destinations you thought would be a refuge.
    Your threat matrix is unnecessarily narrow, but your conclusion is generally correct. Unless there's an imminent threat of severe danger or death, it's best to stay at home.
    I would suggest that instead of focusing on the ideal "bug out" bag, we all stock up on food, water, medicines, fuel, arms, & ammo. Get to know your neighbors, and establish "interlocking fields of fire."
    Both is even better. A moderately-well equipped BOB will cost much less than fifty gallons of stabilized gas.
    Yes, the "bug out" bag makes for good chatter. But even if it let you survive a day or two, did it include Chickens for eggs, or seeds for grain production? And what about shelter?
    No. It never will. That's far outside the scope of a bug out bag. A BOB is one component of a comprehensive preparedness thread. Just as it would be unwise to focus on only one component, it would be similarly unwise to ignore one component.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

examples?

Hurricane Ike, for one. Rising waters which posed a significant threat to housing and nearly certain destruction of vehicles left at the house, followed by days or weeks of utility outage.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    One of several locations, depending on the threat. Last time, it was Ike, and my home was the BOL. The BOB still came in handy for a minor flesh wound, and came with me when I went out to run support and rescue. Survival also depends on the threat and where I'm going. While I can deal with a very limited amount of it, I seriously doubt society will go full mad max overnight.

Ideally by vehicle. Sailboat, bicycle, or foot if necessary.

Yes. Cell phones, radios, live drops, virtual dead drops, physical dead drops, staging strategy defined, etc.

Fully loaded, my BOB weighs about 20 lbs plus water. I could easily do 25 km in a day on foot if pressed.

That's not a BOB. That's a hurricane pantry. I think you have the wrong idea of what a BOB is. It's made to be small, portable, sustain you for up to 72 hours with very limited resupply (eg, a source of dirty water), and allow you to bootstrap your life in a new civilization if possible (eg real estate records, bank records, medical records).

Your threat matrix is unnecessarily narrow, but your conclusion is generally correct. Unless there's an imminent threat of severe danger or death, it's best to stay at home.

Both is even better. A moderately-well equipped BOB will cost much less than fifty gallons of stabilized gas.

No. It never will. That's far outside the scope of a bug out bag. A BOB is one component of a comprehensive preparedness thread. Just as it would be unwise to focus on only one component, it would be similarly unwise to ignore one component.

Nice comprehensive answer....I agree with all of it.

kkinv1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    North Texas
    I like your nice broke down answer also... my wife thought i was nuts untill i broke out some scenarios now she has her own also, and have plans in great detail and when training practice these plans so there is no guessing when the real thing happens

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    you car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, snow storm has you penned in, tornado knocks out your town, flood knocks out your town, or those on the border-cartel violence jacks up your town, nuclear plant has a meltdown, hurricanes, asteroid hits your town, aliens land, zombies attack, the list can be very long if you keep thinking.

... jsut another day at the office for TC.

;)

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You guy really make me think I have to get a team together and if SHTF in reality be prepared to assault, conquer, fortify, defend and live it out in a Wal-Mart Super Center.

You laugh now, but think it through.....................

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Survival is a crap shoot and preparation may only sway the odds a bit in your favor. Some examples:

Tornado in Oklahoma. Missed my place by 100 yards it went down the road, creamed my rental storage building and trashed my stuff. A Mom and son jumped in a truck to escape the same twister. A roof blew off, landed on the truck and killed the kid.

I rode out Rita in my house. 200,000 people were trapped on the highways without food, water or gasoline. One neighbor has a rent house. He brought a huge trailer and moved completely OUT! He drove east and took a direct hit from the storm.

The eye of Hurricane IKE came up my road and passed right over my house. Most folks left. I rode it out here. We took damage but here's where I stayed.

A bug out bag makes sense if you have a destination and have a way to get there. Things, however change rapidly there are NO guarantees and I'd rather fight on my own turf.

Folks coming to hurt or rob me? I'll just stack their carcasses in the yard.

Flash

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Sorry, but it is a little known fact that WM contracts with a super secret private security contractor that deploys highly trained mall ninjas to WM supercenters after a disaster occurs. This is to prevent looting and guard their highly coveted line of "Great Value" products.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Kelty Redcloud 5600 that is big enough to pack for a few days self sustained. Longer if I hunt game or fish.

I'll have to post pics later AND I need to put it back together I had it ripped apart to configure it for a camping trip.

But basically I have some basic shelter with a sleeping bag and bivy sack and a sleeping pad. I usually pack a tent on the bag but I figure if I'm bugging out a low profile is best so it would probably stay on the pack. But it's a MSR Skinny II.

Food stuffs for 3 days a mix of parts of MREs and Mountain House meals. A small Coleman Max stove about palm sized that screws on top of a propane/butane mix can.

Water two camel backs worth along with a KATADYN water filter and a back up of a bottle of iodine tabs incase the filter fails for whatever reason.

100 rounds of spare pistol ammo, 200 rounds of spare rifle ammo on top of what I carry in magazines along with a fixed blade knife.

Two packs of baby wipes tooth brush tooth paste, small bottle of mouth wash.

Some small firestarting supplies. Nothing too fancy just some petroleum soaked gauze and magnesium fire-starter.

Spare AA batteries for my handheld GPS and Spare CR123 batteries for my LED Surefire.

Spare pair of pants, one spare shirt, 3 pair of underwear and socks.

That's all I can think off of the top of my head I'll have to take some pictures later.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    While staying in place is ideal, currently I live in the "burbs" of Fort Worth (Saginaw). Being in close proximity to a population center during a shit storm isn't my idea of a good time. I aim to get well away from this place to a family's place further west. If I can get out by car (or my dual sport lol) I will but this leaves me a by foot option if needed.

But I also don't have to move my whole family either. I'm pretty much on my own which is a deciding factor for me on moving.

Being in Saginaw also helps as I'm right on the edge of the city and it's not very far to get into farm/ranch area.

Top Bottom