• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    People just don’t know. Ain’t their fault. Military, le, security, many over dramatize because it’s human nature to love attention.

I’m nothing special. Just been good at surviving. My current job is a human target; armored driver/guard in South Dallas. I realized how little I knew before. A lot of it can only be taught by handling a situation and improving on it for the next time unfortunately.

I often tell people now that the best training methods aren’t always with guns. It’s working hard to be alert, see danger before it gets too close, learning patterns criminals have, NOT avoiding eye contact, all things that’s easy to say but methods can’t really be articulated until after dealing with them.
    >
    Excellent, and don’t belittle yourself. Our World needs folks like you and would definitely be better with more of you.

As I’ve heard for a very long time: “An Army could operate w/o its Generals, but would collapse w/o its Sergeants!”

Thanks, & have a peaceful Christmas,

leVieux
    Capitol Armory ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Thanks - and I agree re Harrell. Just watching him in that vid you can tell (well, I can anyway) that he's been there done that. I plan on watching more of him. Wannabees are easy to spot, too; no interest in that. How do y'all say it down here? All hat and no horse? LOL I'm so lovin Texas. :)
    >

Please clarify. You’ve told us that you now live on a rural place in E TX, having come from the N W Rockies; and that you have a .410 pump shotgun which you are learning to master.

This thread has drifted towards personal defense in replies. Tell us do you intend to use the .410 as a primary defensive weapon & home protector; or, is it a doves, fun, snakes, & squirrels gun ?

BTW, your o.p. was great.

leVieux

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    >
    That sounds like a delightful little gun to start with. Just ask around to find a pump-gun hunter and ask them to help you. Many of the available videos are from “Police Instructors” who have little actual experience or talent. Learn your .410 well before going on to a larger gauge. Good Luck !
    Why some folks want to rag on police instructor's on the whole baffles me. Most of instructors all compete and several do it at a very high level. It is insane how good they are with not only shooting but the tactics of using guns.

Please stop with this ignorant trope. It only makes you sound as if you cannot help but judge a group except on bias.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Why some folks want to rag on police instructor's on the whole baffles me. Most of instructors all compete and several do it at a very high level. It is insane how good they are with not only shooting but the tactics of using guns.

Please stop with this ignorant trope.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    >

I criticize them mainly (only) on topics of pump shotguns and tourniquets.

Our Baby is a Police Detective, firearms instructor, and alternate range manager. An Alum of Austin Westlake High.

We support our LEO’s and will back them in an emergency.

I watch & learn from Ayoub & others, love the videos. Just that I’ve never seen a Cop operate a pump properly in one of those videos.

And, from my standpoint, it is not “ignorant”.

I often use both PD & SO ranges, treat those Guys to lunch, and have them in our home w/ “Baby”. I get lots of advice on rifles from them.

BTW, “Baby” is a 46yo USMC M.P. Sergeant, now semi-permanently attached to ATF. He has 4 children and we finally talked him out of SWAT, but he still goes on “forced entries” for the Feds. And, Baby uses an 870SF properly when hunting. Back when he was a “Patrol” Officer & did traffic stops, I gave him my 870 Police Folder, which he sling carried up to stopped vehicles.

Thank you for your service in the PRoTC.

leVieux

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    >
    Excellent, and don’t belittle yourself. Our World needs folks like you and would definitely be better with more of you.

As I’ve heard for a very long time: “An Army could operate w/o its Generals, but would collapse w/o its Sergeants!”

Thanks, & have a peaceful Christmas,

leVieux
    Thanks. You too.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I don’t see the issue in thread drift to protection. I mean…if people train to use certain techniques it’s not for show. I don’t think the thread has drifted.

Techniques for shotguns means different things to different folks.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    >

Please clarify. You’ve told us that you now live on a rural place in E TX, having come from the N W Rockies; and that you have a .410 pump shotgun which you are learning to master.

This thread has drifted towards personal defense in replies. Tell us do you intend to use the .410 as a primary defensive weapon & home protector; or, is it a doves, fun, snakes, & squirrels gun ?

BTW, your o.p. was great.

leVieux
    Ok, I'll clarify - and apologies if this is TMI or gets too personal.

I lived off-grid, remote, on the mountain with my husband. He was killed in June 2021 (swarm of hornets, died in my arms 2 min later). Suddenly finding myself alone, and unarmed, I went to the closest pawn shop and bought the .410. With no one to show me anything, I figured it out, shot it a few times, and it came in handy scaring off the plentiful coyotes. The .410 was one of the few things I kept and brought with me when I left the mountain before winter set in, that same year. (My other 3 guns I bought down here).

Now, with my new guy, out here at Ten Oaks - I have the opportunity to shoot it again (couldn't for the time we were in Katy) and my shooting is now mostly just for fun. There's an arsenal here (LOL) but most of his are too big, too heavy, and knocks me on my butt - I'm a small statured woman - but I wouldn't hesitate to grab any of them if it came to protecting me and mine. We do what needs doing.

Also, fwiw, my 'all hat no horse' comment was not meant to insult anyone here, or folks who genuinely try to help others learn; rather it is based on a lifetime of knowing people who are like the guy who has read 100 books on carpentry but never held a hammer in his hand. It only takes a little while to recognize a lack of real world experience.

And...I'm not trying to 'master' anything; I'll be happy as hell just to not shoot something by accident. LOL

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Ok, I'll clarify - and apologies if this is TMI or gets too personal.

I lived off-grid, remote, on the mountain with my husband. He was killed in June 2021 (swarm of hornets, died in my arms 2 min later). Suddenly finding myself alone, and unarmed, I went to the closest pawn shop and bought the .410. With no one to show me anything, I figured it out, shot it a few times, and it came in handy scaring off the plentiful coyotes. The .410 was one of the few things I kept and brought with me when I left the mountain before winter set in, that same year. (My other 3 guns I bought down here).

Now, with my new guy, out here at Ten Oaks - I have the opportunity to shoot it again (couldn't for the time we were in Katy) and my shooting is now mostly just for fun. There's an arsenal here (LOL) but most of his are too big, too heavy, and knocks me on my butt - I'm a small statured woman - but I wouldn't hesitate to grab any of them if it came to protecting me and mine. We do what needs doing.

Also, fwiw, my 'all hat no horse' comment was not meant to insult anyone here, or folks who genuinely try to help others learn; rather it is based on a lifetime of knowing people who are like the guy who has read 100 books on carpentry but never held a hammer in his hand. It only takes a little while to recognize a lack of real world experience.

And...I'm not trying to 'master' anything; I'll be happy as hell just to not shoot something by accident. LOL
    >

You sound like a Great “Little” Lady, and again, Welcome to the South & to TGT.

The saying is “All hat & no cattle”, for describing a “Drugstore Cowboy” or any wanna-be.

When I was young (very long ago), I was the exact opposite; I had some 225 head of Hereford beef cattle to manage; but no hat, horse, pickup, etc. Just me and a 1953 Buick. Somehow, we made it through two Winters, then Dad sold the cattle.

And, a few years back, one of my lifelong best Friends at BrazosPort almost died of insect stings, and was in ICU for almost a week; so I can relate.

We here don’t need to know all your personal details, but you are welcome to tell. I was just trying to determine your intended uses for your shotgun.

BTW, sounds that you found yourself a good Man, too.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I don’t see the issue in thread drift to protection. I mean…if people train to use certain techniques it’s not for show. I don’t think the thread has drifted.

Techniques for shotguns means different things to different folks.
    OK,

but,

You sound a whole lot smarter than you claim to be ?

?

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    >

You sound like a Great “Little” Lady, and again, Welcome to the South & to TGT.

The saying is “All hat & no cattle”, for describing a “Drugstore Cowboy” or any wanna-be.

When I was young (very long ago), I was the exact opposite; I had some 225 head of Hereford beef cattle to manage; but no hat, horse, pickup, etc. Just me and a 1953 Buick. Somehow, we made it through two Winters, then Dad sold the cattle.

And, a few years back, one of my lifelong best Friends at BrazosPort almost died of insect stings, and was in ICU for almost a week; so I can relate.

We here don’t need to know all your personal details, but you are welcome to tell. I was just trying to determine your intended uses for your shotgun.

BTW, sounds that you found yourself a good Man, too.

leVieux
    Thanks for the fix on the wanna-be!

Yeah, that probably was more information in my post than needed to be - but I figured a bit of background gives you the info for where I am in this journey - so any advice/suggestions y'all might have might actually be better suited for me! :D

And yes, he is a very good Man.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Oh god no lol. I’m what you call wasted potential
    >
    OK,

Je le comprends.

My late “little” Brother was like that: Big, strong, handsome, smart, talented; looked much like an improved version of Tom Selleck. One helluva “chick magnet”.

But,

Couldn’t stay interested in anything or anyone for very long.

Numerous careers, affairs, jobs, financial windfalls, marriages, education, etc. all wasted; died alone & broke. Smoked himself to death, told me this: “Life is tough, then you die!”

leVieux

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    >

Numerous careers, affairs, jobs, financial windfalls, marriages, education, etc. all wasted; died alone & broke. Smoked himself to death, told me this: “Life is tough, then you die!”

leVieux
    Yeah...not buyin that, either.

If your brother lived his life the way he wanted, and it sure sounds like he did, it wasn't 'wasted' at all imo, except maybe by others' judgements.

If you want to know what someone wants - just look around at what they have.

Well, crap - now we're really off your topic, but it's your thread so there ya go. :)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Was thinking the same. Others can affect how we live our lives and in return for what? More judgment?

I don’t even like the word tolerate. It’s a dirty word. Listen to it. What I tell people is I accept them.

As for the original topic: lol shotguns are great. Can’t have enough. I ordered a maverick 88 security. I’ll have my 590a1 and 870 too. For how cheap shotguns are you can never have enough.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Was thinking the same. Others can affect how we live our lives and in return for what? More judgment?

I don’t even like the word tolerate. It’s a dirty word. Listen to it. What I tell people is I accept them.

As for the original topic: lol shotguns are great. Can’t have enough. I ordered a maverick 88 security. I’ll have my 590a1 and 870 too. For how cheap shotguns are you can never have enough.

I don’t think of a Maverick 88 as a cheap shoty. In-expensive yes, cheap no.

When used properly those things are like the Energizer Bunny. They just keep going & going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom