APOD Firearms

Sell me on a .22 for small game hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I went with the Ruger 10/22 and added a Redfield (Leupold) 2-7x33 scope on it. Aluminum rings by Simmons but since it is a .22 I figure it isn't going to kick much so the rings aren't as important as on some higher caliber rifles. Thanks to all in this thread. :)

IMG00539-20110506-1751.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    you won't be disappointed. I have gone to strictly irons and if you get the bug i can tell you with experience that the tech sights are outstanding. Next then you might want to get is more mags. The convention is to go with OEM ten round box mags as they are proven. there is a thing i picked up which allows you to stick the mags together. first, the quad clip holder allows you to hold 4 mags at a time. the reviews have been that it is not that great as the mags just slide on and sometimes slip. the fix everyone does is superglue them on. I wanted the option to take them apart if i wanted. I found the best one to be :
    TriMag 10/22 Magazine Connector It holds three mags together and allows you to use them individually if you like. Holds mags in place super well.

then there is always the 25 round or more mags. I have gone with the tried and true butler creek (steel lips best). There are the Blackdog mags (plastic lips eventually wear out) and the much talked about tactical inc. mags. really nice but a little more than the butler creek. and lastly but not least the universal mag loader i again went with the butler creek and yes they will load your standard oem box mags.

now of course you will have to find out what ammo your weapon will like. this didn't seem to be a big issue with mine except for the winchester ammo. I don't know why but it seems like winchester's QC is poor. Like the winchester XX target ammo. i think it might also have to do with the bullet construction itself.

out the box accuracy: everyone usually gets a ruger and changes the barrel. I can't reremember where i read this but it has proven to be true. wait until you have fired at least 500 rounds down the barrel before you really start to judge the barrel.

i waited much more then that as money has been tight. I am glad i did as this barrel seems to be more accaccurate then i expected and serves me well for my needs.
    Still if you want ... shoot the head of a pin accuracy.... then there are tons of barrels that can be purchased. i think if you give the barrel some rounds down range you won't be disappointed. plus it will be easy to crank out a brick of 500 in no time.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    you won't be disappointed. I have gone to strictly irons and if you get the bug i can tell you with experience that the tech sights are outstanding. Next then you might want to get is more mags. The convention is to go with OEM ten round box mags as they are proven. there is a thing i picked up which allows you to stick the mags together. first, the quad clip holder allows you to hold 4 mags at a time. the reviews have been that it is not that great as the mags just slide on and sometimes slip. the fix everyone does is superglue them on. I wanted the option to take them apart if i wanted. I found the best one to be :
    TriMag 10/22 Magazine Connector It holds three mags together and allows you to use them individually if you like. Holds mags in place super well.

then there is always the 25 round or more mags. I have gone with the tried and true butler creek (steel lips best). There are the Blackdog mags (plastic lips eventually wear out) and the much talked about tactical inc. mags. really nice but a little more than the butler creek. and lastly but not least the universal mag loader i again went with the butler creek and yes they will load your standard oem box mags.

now of course you will have to find out what ammo your weapon will like. this didn't seem to be a big issue with mine except for the winchester ammo. I don't know why but it seems like winchester's QC is poor. Like the winchester XX target ammo. i think it might also have to do with the bullet construction itself.

out the box accuracy: everyone usually gets a ruger and changes the barrel. I can't reremember where i read this but it has proven to be true. wait until you have fired at least 500 rounds down the barrel before you really start to judge the barrel.

i waited much more then that as money has been tight. I am glad i did as this barrel seems to be more accaccurate then i expected and serves me well for my needs.
    Still if you want ... shoot the head of a pin accuracy.... then there are tons of barrels that can be purchased. i think if you give the barrel some rounds down range you won't be disappointed. plus it will be easy to crank out a brick of 500 in no time.

I picked up over a thousand rounds of the Remington .22LR ammo alng with it. I've had good success with that ammo firing .22s that belong to friends. That tri-mag connector looks really cool! I did get exactly three Ruger 10 round magazines for it, so that sounds like a perfect accessory. :)

Top Bottom