Texas SOT

Sell me on a .22 for small game hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I was thinking either the Colt M4 .22 or the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, but I'm not limiting myself to just an AR style .22. I just want something that can accurately take down small game (rabbits, squirrels, oppossums, things like that).

I do like the Mossberg 702 Plinkster, but I don't know if I like the smaller magazine limitations.
    Target Sports

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I like the M&P, but the mags are proprietary to that gun and wont fit my CMMG conversion for my AR.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Check out the Chiappa .22 upper (assuming you have an ar). I got one a couple of month ago and am really pleased with it. Ruger 10-22 is hard to beat. I have 4 of them.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    The M&P's and Colts are lots of fun no dout.
    Me, Im fixin to get me a Henry lever gun. I have been wanting a small caliber/small game rifle that I can hunt with and not make any noise. I use a semi auto Savage for that right now. I shoot Super Colibri's in it. I have to action the gun every shot because they dont have enough recoil to operate the semi auto gun.
    Thats why I want a lever gun. BTW, that ammo makes NO noise in a rifle, none at all. Shoot a rabbit with them, he dies....
    Get yourself a couply of cases of that ammo and have fun, IN STEALTH MODE....

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    But do you think the M&P or Colt are viable for actually hunting small critters or would you rather use something that functions more like a standard semi-auto or bolt action rifle rather than an AR?

Side note: The Chiappa isn't an option, I don't have an AR. Shoot 'em for work, so it kinda loses its fun factor. Dying to get one of those Chiappa Rhino revolvers, though. :)

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I have the Browning .22 that breaks down. I have shot 100s of small animals with it over the years. At 75 yards I could regularly hit rabbits, ground squirrels, dove, Dr Pepper cans, etc. using the open sights. I haven't shot it in quite a while though. Can't speak to MOA, I have never been a big "paper shooter." It seems like most .22s open up a lot after 75yds for some reason...dunno...maybe just me.

You can break it down and carry it really easily in a backpack too. Only problem is that it ejects down and you can catch hot brass on your arm sometimes.

Found this picture on the interwebs....
    http://sammytaylor.net/?p=1231

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    But do you think the M&P or Colt are viable for actually hunting small critters or would you rather use something that functions more like a standard semi-auto or bolt action rifle rather than an AR?

Side note: The Chiappa isn't an option, I don't have an AR. Shoot 'em for work, so it kinda loses its fun factor. Dying to get one of those Chiappa Rhino revolvers, though. :)
    Sure the M&P or Colt will hunt. I use a 10/22 to shoot tree varmits.
    You might even look at the GSG's. " I head from several people the Colt is junk", but I never had one.
    If your looking for something to fit in a backpack, military surps. has some weird lookin stuff that breaks down. KelTeck has the sub2000 that folds up. Shoot, you got all kind of options.

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    i have been looking at the chiappa m four they sell the whole gun now with a lower i have been trying to find out what lower they use or if it a poly one

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I loves my Browning .22......no idea how many rounds down the pipe, it is old/older as/than I am & was bought new.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I have many 22s and they are great fun. The CCI Velocitor ammo is a step up in power. I think Aquila has something similar. From your description, you sound like you're looking for my future 22 purchase; a 22 WMR. I want one of the inexpensive bolt actions with a "good" scope. You can buy ammo with 30g to 50g bullets. I'm guessing that you move rabbit range out to 125 yards and coyotes easily to 75 yards. The 22 WMR isn't that far behind the 5.7x28.

Top Bottom