Sell me on a .22 for small game hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    checkout the remington 597.

it has a nice big stock, big game style, the barrely is relativley heavy compared to the stock barrel ont he 10/22, the magazine release is MUCH more comfortable, and i have experianced far less malf with the 597. its interior workings allow one to fine tune this weapon to your needs with little moe tha a screw driver. takedown and re-asssembly is a breeze, the plastic 30 round mags are cheap and last a good while. i ahve had good luck with mine. and the factory 10 round mags are a-ok in my book.

higly accurate, and they seem to feed everything i put in it. did a 5000 round torute test without cleaning and only had about 20 malfs. using 10 federal bulk packs. this admittedly was probably a case of extreme luck. that sucker was FILTHY. almost had to throw the parts in with a load of laundry! ;)

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    also, the nice beefy stock feels great!. points well ergonomics are splendid. this was my first rifle, and still my fav.

would love to get a .22 mag version, and a .17 hmr to complete the set.

and if you want to go tacticool about it, you can always get the archangel setup. they make one custom for the 597.

been meaning to get one. i loaned out mine.... and ia m regretting it.

also consider a bolt action. inexpensive and very versatile.

.22 short and super colibris and other sub munitions are excellent for preserving the most of what you harvest.

a nice clean headshot to a dove is very satisfying when you are looking for a snack. and a with some super colibri out of a bolt action, longish barrel, if you are a good shot, you can easily pluck 3-6 out of a tree before they all notice and fly off...

and in that case you can always slap a .22 shotshell in and grab one on the fly. without having to fiddle with a spring loaded bolt and all that nonsense.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    I've got a Belgian Browning ATD, Henry Frontier, Winchester 67 and a Marlin mod60SS. For the money, the Mod 60 is the absolute best bang for the buck. The ATD is my favorite and most accurate, but the mod 60 is not far behind. The old 67 is still darn accurate too. Henry's are solid guns, but get's circles ran around it when it comes to group size at 50yrds +. I picked up the Marlin for $140 and it had less than 200 rounds through it.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    i have to tell you that i have been shooting allot of 22 caliber in the past year. I have forgotten how nice it really is. there are a good choice of rounds for various purposes. The are easy to carry with allot of ammo... accurate as you will ever need... easy to work on .... no real recoil to speak of and that 22 caliber whether it be a lr or wmr is very effective. heck the more i shoot it the more i think why have i been concentrating on the bigger calibers.....wait what am i saying i love a big boom. seriously you won't regret it..whether you go with the 10/22 (beware the money you may spend on mod's) tube fed, or lever action. Now that might be another gun to add to the safe a lever action 22 wmr....wait thats after i get the ruger security six 22lr/22wmr revolver and find a black hawk 38,40,10mm. dam i need to win the lottery.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gun-accessories-ammo/23538-ak-saiga-parts.html

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    I have the Browning .22 that breaks down. I have shot 100s of small animals with it over the years. At 75 yards I could regularly hit rabbits, ground squirrels, dove, Dr Pepper cans, etc. using the open sights. I haven't shot it in quite a while though. Can't speak to MOA, I have never been a big "paper shooter." It seems like most .22s open up a lot after 75yds for some reason...dunno...maybe just me.

You can break it down and carry it really easily in a backpack too. Only problem is that it ejects down and you can catch hot brass on your arm sometimes.

Found this picture on the interwebs....
    http://sammytaylor.net/?p=1231

Can't say enoujgh good about the little browning. I picked one up a couple weeks ago for 200, a steal and will put the shots right on. I have a weatherby Mark XXII I have had for twenty years and used before that. That is the most accurate 22 I have ever shot. It makes the shots to easy. Dime sized groups are the norm with it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    10/22 is good rifle and inexpensive. I think it will be a good choice for what you are looking for.

Let me mention though, many autoloaders will limit you on ammo. That is, some won't function well on low velocity rounds. The 10/22 eats everything it the LR case size though. But even the 10/22 won't work on shorts or CB's. That's where a lever gun really shines. Tub magazine, and they feed and shoot anything from hyper velocity to 375 FPS colibri. Figure about $500 though for a Marlin, and about $270 for a Henry.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    I think I might go for the Ruger 10/22.

Anyone have any experience with the Sig 522?

i don't have any experience but this may help for what its worth....check out other videos of reviews: some negatives first which i am sure was initial production but looks like the bugs have been worked out.
    YouTube - SIG 522 - Done Wrong (Bolt Failure)
    YouTube - Sig 522 mag modification
    YouTube - SIG 522: "Tactical .22 Done Right" by Nutnfancy

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gun-accessories-ammo/23538-ak-saiga-parts.html

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I have several .22 rifles. If I am going to be shooting critters I typically grab a very old Remington bolt action I have because of its accuracy. I have an older tube fed Marlin and a newer Ruger 10/22. If I grab one of the semi-autos I will usually grab the Marlin. It is a little more accurate than the Ruger, but you wont be disappointed if you end up going with the Ruger.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    I think I might go for the Ruger 10/22.

Anyone have any experience with the Sig 522?

I liked my Sig556 a little better , but the 522 I have shot quite abit and never had any problems from them. I just don't care for .22lr black guns, but that's just me. Overall I'd say that the Sig was well fit and it functioned flawlessly; but way overpriced for anything I'd want. If I found a great deal on a used one, I'd pick one up for plinking fun.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    One gun that hasn't been mentioned is the Marlin 39. Probably the best .22 ever made. Accurate, dependable, and classic. They have somewhat increased in price over the years, they are still good bang for the buck.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I have a Sig 522, as well as more than a few 10/22s in various configurations.

If the only thing you'll do with the rifle is hunt, a conventional stocked 10/22 (or similar) will prove best, IMO, as it gets your optics down close to the barrel.

If you'll do more than just hunt, then one of the "black rifle" .22s can be a lot of fun! I like the Sig better than the S&W 15-22, and the mags interchange with most AR conversions, should you add one later on.

Of course, the 10/22 can morph into just about anything you can imagine, due to the huger after-market of parts availalbe.

My Sig Arms 522 with an ATN 1x reflex sight
    Sig522.gif

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The tactical .22s like the AR clones, GSG, and Sig are lot of fun, and sure you can hunt with them... but the traditional .22s are a lot lighter and more compact. I think you should go lay hands on a Marlin 795. You'll find it light and svelte. Perfect for hiking around with. A Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22 would be a good choice as well. The Marlin Papoose is another neat one that breaks down and stores in it's own stock. Perfect for backpacking...

BIGCOUNTRY01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Amarillo
    I really love the Ruger 10/22. I have shot a lot of Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums and other small game with the 10/22. Its a very accurate rifle at a good price. Id recommend a 10/22 with a good red field scope and it will last you a life time.

Top Bottom