Self actualization and self sacrifice cannot both dwell in the sovereign self.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Islands in the stream, that is what we are.

No one in between.....something something something

Come away with me, to another place

And we'll rely(?) on each other, uhuh

I want to hear the words, but in my head all I see is big blonde hair and big healthy...

Not sure where that all fits in the pyramid.

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    No one is totally anything. Everyone has both good and evil in them.

I am sovereign in that I, and I alone, am responsible for my decisions. I may have difficult decisions to make but I possess the free will to make them. That also means I'm responsible for the repercussions. There is no such thing as freedom w/o responsibility.

Without free will their is neither sin nor charity. Without free will I'd essentially be a nihilist because nothing would matter.

I think the real discussion is why people have such widely varying needs to feel self actualized.

I just picked up on this thread a few minutes ago. Full disclosure; I'm a practicing catholic.

Question: I know very little about Calvinism. Isn't one of its main tenants predestination? If that's the case, doesn't predestination eliminate free will? And if it does, doesn't the absence of free will eliminate the possibility of sin? If all that is true; then what’s the point of anything?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up on this thread a few minutes ago. Full disclosure; I'm a practicing catholic.

Question: I know very little about Calvinism. Isn't one of its main tenants predestination? If that's the case, doesn't predestination eliminate free will? And if it does, doesn't the absence of free will eliminate the possibility of sin? If all that is true; then what’s the point of anything?

Hyper-calvinists do not believe in free will at all.

Calvinists believe in free will but the issue is we have free will according to our nature and our nature is sinful due to the fall.

Essentially, outside of Calvinism, other protestants view people as broken and injured, in need of mending. Calvinists dont believe man is broken, they believe man is dead.

An injured man can have the free will to choose to go to the hospital. The dead man cannot choose to save his life. He is dead.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

I'm Catholic too. That's exactly my thought process as well.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I guess the quasi-Calvinists are hedging? Lol

I have heard my friends that are Baptists say the same thing about Catholics and Purgatory though.

Just wanted to throw another twist out there.

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett

I'm Catholic too. That's exactly my thought process as well.

As I'm I. I just can't resist playing devils advocate. :p (pun intended)

Govern wisely and as little as possible~Sam Houston

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

I have heard my friends that are Baptists say the same thing about Catholics and Purgatory though.

There are hyper-calvinists (rare), 5 point calvinists (common in modern reformed congregations) and 4 point calvinists (common in the SBC). Calvinism is currently the major debate in the SBC.

That discord is something that troubles some people but as Albert Mohler pointed out, the SBC is having an internal dialogue about theology whereas most mainline denominations are having disagreements about the fundamentals of scripture.

It seems less polarizing to call Calvinism a belief in the doctrines of grace which describes the basics of reformed theology. I have to admit that while rolling deep with the Calvinists a great many of them put people off, especially new believers, due to their promotion of Calvinism almost in lieu of the gospel. It is a very interesting group to study. Search "hipster Christianity" and youll see both the good and bad of modern calvinism.

Overall I agree with Calvinism however I recognize there are mysteries I dont understand. Calvinists view many others such as evangelicals in general as essentially "baby Christians" who dont have such a deep theological understanding. Unfortunately I think in pursuit of accuracy and truth many go too far and dont yield to and revere mysteries we do not fully understand.

#realtalk

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Too many Baptists spend too much time being against Catholicism. In the culture war, Baptists and Catholics are on the same side.

Ive thought about that regarding my own views both spiritual and political. I need to spend more energy promoting what I am for and not what I am against.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Sacrificing joyfully is something I struggle with, especially when surrounded by indulgence (not those types Mexican Hippie).

I do it, because it is the right thing to do, but he selfish part of me (is that 100%?) doesn't always like it.

This seems like some papist trickery!
    LoL, no trickery here...in your previous post you mentioned self-sacrifice of certain indulgences was the right thing to do. I was asking why? And in other words, what makes not sacrificing wrong?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    LoL, no trickery here...in your previous post you mentioned self-sacrifice of certain indulgences was the right thing to do. I was asking why? And in other words, what makes not sacrificing wrong?
    Ah. Thanks for clarifying. Good question.

What makes not sacrificing wrong?

I suppose some would argue sacrificing for the wrong reasons is wrong. Like Lent. If you give up meat because you are supposed to vs you want to.

There is something to be said about a framework (Catholics observation of Lent and the associated deprivation) that encourages people to do what they would not choose or want to do.

Something to be said about being led by the Spirit as well.

Top Bottom