Hurley's Gold

Self actualization and self sacrifice cannot both dwell in the sovereign self.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Personal autonomy, personal convenience, self determined meaning, own moral code, own reality, own goals, own romantic definitions, own lives in every respect, family is giving way, marriage is giving way, parenthood is giving way, even where marriage is happening, it might not happen for long, even where children are born, they might be accepted as a life long responsibility, they might not even be accepted as a short term responsibility to see them raised to adulthood, worldwide flight from family represents a victory of self actualization over self sacrifice.

This is a conscious pursuit of happiness that is without husband and is without wife, it is without permanence and is without kin, is without family and is without children, it is without parenthood and is ultimately is without responsibility to anyone other than the sovereign self.

Paraphrased: Albert Mohler 2-24-2015 podcast
    DK Firearms

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    They can both dwell in the same person in a very joyous way when they align their own actualization with serving others.

That alignment, if ever obtained, represents the ultimate freedom and happiness a human can have in this life.

I understand what he's "trying" to say, but he's not completely right.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They can both dwell in the same person in a very joyous way when they align their own actualization with serving others.

That alignment, if ever obtained, represents the ultimate freedom and happiness a human can have in this life.

I understand what he's "trying" to say, but he's not completely right.
    Thats a theological difference. Albert Mohler is a Calvinist. Read about Calvinism and TULIP. T is for total depravity.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know I'm just messin with you ;-p

It is sad that people appear to be becoming more self centered. I couldn't imagine life without family.
    It isnt just US either. Europe and Japan are in a real bad way.

This is the article he was discussing. The Global Flight from the Family http://www.wsj.com/articles/nicholas-eberstadt-the-global-flight-from-the-family-1424476179

As much as some cannot imagine life without their families many cannot imagine life without living as the unbridled version of their self.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I can't really say much more without going full bore theological up in heya!
    Apparently "they" dont care so long people arent arguing, insulting and attacking each other.

PM me if you think this discussion will be a banable offense.

It is a theological thing. I lived life my way, selfishly. That person is dead now.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Guess my overview is it's the death of a grateful heart and born in its place selfishness. People lose track what it is like to help another.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So, self-actualization is all about manifesting in our lives what we think we can be, who we see ourselves truly as if we could just break free of all the things holding us back.

So it really touches on a lot of topics.

Very interesting conversation to be had around this.

Some would saying, being self-actualized, can be compatible with being self-sacrificing. "If I didn't have this mortgage to pay I'd go run an orphanage in Kenya."

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    They both start with C, come on man.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425088325.557002.jpg

Lol. I love Calvinists too. I just disagree with them.

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    Very interesting conversation to be had around this.

Some would saying, being self-actualized, can be compatible with being self-sacrificing. "If I didn't have this mortgage to pay I'd go run an orphanage in Kenya."
    Just a thought but could the sacrifice one makes as a provider, protector and spiritual leader be considered as noble as doing missionary work.

Also I believe that there's a difference in being introspective and self centered.

Govern wisely and as little as possible~Sam Houston

Top Bottom