• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deftonesdea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    heres what i would do in this EXACT order. go to the vancejackson walmart on i10 ...7am-8am ish...IFFFFF you dont get the good bulk (100 count) FMJ ammo cheap...(which u probably WILL!)..at 8am go to the vance jackson and 410 academy (they open at 8am) and get ammo there. but walmart would be ur best bet (ive gone there at 8am ish and gotten lucky..but they stock around 7am i thnk!) walmart/academy. walmart= u can buy up to 300 rounds per caliber (or MORE), but academy= 1 box per caliber per day. (unless u go later on in the day) ...so..yea.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Local Wal Marts are a crap-shoot.

I'd rather be drinking coffee at 8:00 a.m. than standing in line for ammo.

Best advice is to chill for a couple of months and let the supply catch up to demand.

Not likely, however!

OlyMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    The Walmart closest to me doesn't even stock weapons/ammo that I can tell (Austin Highway, by Fort Sam). Which local SA Wallies are the best bet for ammo?

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    I went out yesterday and figured I'd post my results.

Academy at 281 and 1604 had a 30+ person line by 7:30am so I skipped that and went to the walmart next door. They had a few .223 and rifle rounds, but it was pretty slim pickings.

Went from there to the Academy at 1604 and NW Military (it might not be exactly there, but in that vicinity), they were out as well, nothing on their truck.

Bass Pro after that, Nothing on their truck.

Drove out to Boerne and went to Wheelers. Let me tell you, if you've never been to Wheelers, I HIGHLY recommend you make the trip. They have a great selection of guns, ammo of course is being bought off their shelves, but they had more than Academy, Wally world or bass pro.

The people who work at Wheelers were absolutely amazing, friendly, and willing to not only help, but shoot the shit with you. Hell, they even took the time to chat w/ my 4 year old son and make him feel welcome. They had 25 Kimbers left in stock, and plenty of Sigs, and other models. I must have spent about and hour and a half just chatting with the guys, and would drive from bulverde to boerne again in a heartbeat. ++ For them, I know where my pistol purchases will be from here on out. They're on I-10 and business 87 I believe, it's a feed/tack store primarily.

Treyg73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the tip, deftonesdea. I'm going to try the Vance Jackson Walmart first and if I don't find anything there then I'll try the one off DeZavala and 10 by my work.

deftonesdea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    I haven't seen much ammo from the walmart website this week. Are you guys seeing any when you go? What brands?

i dont think the website stock-thing works. (i actually check after midnight...ya know, cause it always says 'last updated midnight') anyways...

i know i went like...a few days ago at 8am and i was the only one. i bet they had MORE ammo before i got there but the lady was stocking... handgun ammo

i got winchester white box 9mm 100 rounds for like $20. (the federal redbox 100 count is the stuff u want to get!) its the cheapest, always great, reliable, great brass etc etc.

i got 50 rounds of the tulammo in 45 (figured WHY NOT?)

and i got a 50 round box of 40 for a stupid price but i wanted it ($19 or so). pre crazyness i stocked up on 40 and 45. 40 was like $23 for 100 rounds, and 45 was like $28 for 100 rounds. its the stuff i most desire lol.

In-Yo-Grill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Texas
    i dont think the website stock-thing works. (i actually check after midnight...ya know, cause it always says 'last updated midnight') anyways...

i know i went like...a few days ago at 8am and i was the only one. i bet they had MORE ammo before i got there but the lady was stocking... handgun ammo

i got winchester white box 9mm 100 rounds for like $20. (the federal redbox 100 count is the stuff u want to get!) its the cheapest, always great, reliable, great brass etc etc.

i got 50 rounds of the tulammo in 45 (figured WHY NOT?)

and i got a 50 round box of 40 for a stupid price but i wanted it ($19 or so). pre crazyness i stocked up on 40 and 45. 40 was like $23 for 100 rounds, and 45 was like $28 for 100 rounds. its the stuff i most desire lol.

Its been very accurate for me the past couple of weeks. This week has been real dry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

OlyMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    I've done the Academy thing, but waiting in line for 20 rds of 5.56 is pretty lame. I'm on night shift atm, working from 1900 to 0700, so I can't get there early enough to get the bulk boxes.

What/where is Wheelers? *heads off to google*

Edit: Their web site leaves something to be desired. By that I mean it blows. Are they really worth a 40 minute drive?

Last edited:

In-Yo-Grill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Texas
    WM on Nacodoges and in Pleasanton both got in Federal ammo cans (420rd) of 5.56 last night. Naco got 4 and Pleasanton got 7. Can't make it out myself this morning so I thought I'd pass this info along.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    I've done the Academy thing, but waiting in line for 20 rds of 5.56 is pretty lame. I'm on night shift atm, working from 1900 to 0700, so I can't get there early enough to get the bulk boxes.

What/where is Wheelers? *heads off to google*

Edit: Their web site leaves something to be desired. By that I mean it blows. Are they really worth a 40 minute drive?

I drove an easy 40 mins there, I think so, they are actually a feed and tack store in boerne, but they carry guns and ammo. If you're looking for ammo, I'd suggest just calling them first to see if they have any. They seemed pretty open to taking calls looking for ammo when I was there.

As far as buying guns go, I'd say they are definitely worth the drive.

In-Yo-Grill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Texas
    I drove an easy 40 mins there, I think so, they are actually a feed and tack store in boerne, but they carry guns and ammo. If you're looking for ammo, I'd suggest just calling them first to see if they have any. They seemed pretty open to taking calls looking for ammo when I was there.

As far as buying guns go, I'd say they are definitely worth the drive.

They used to have an Archery department too. I've bought a gun from them in the past. Great store to deal with but not cheap by any means.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    I get it, yeah I'm not associated with them in any way, but it's a breath of fresh air after visiting Nagels and dealing w/ their attitude. Or Drury's and their amazing customer service, but ridiculous pricing.

Treyg73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    So I went to the Walmart at Vance Jackson and 10 at around 7:45am, no 9mm or .40, didn't notice any other handgun ammo because that's what I'm looking for but the case was pretty empty. Went to the one on Jones Maltsberger next and before I even got to the case a guy told me "no ammo" and then explained they didn't get any last night and didn't know when they would again. Sent the gf to the DeZavala store and she called to let me know she found one 100 round box of WWB so that'll be going to the range with me tomorrow. Still no look on the .40 though.

RugerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Academy on Perrin Beitel usually sells out of 9mm first, you have to be there by 715 to get any at all.. they had a lot of 223 and 762 around 830 when I got there... wal Mart on Austin Highway is sporadic.. the customer service at the front desk lies.. so ask for sporting goods if you call and don't take anyone but the sporting goods emoloyees

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Academy on PerrinBeitel has .308, 7.62x39, Independence .556, and Monarch steel .223. I am here right now.
    qetu4a5e.jpg

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    For reasons other than for looking for ammo, I had to visit the east side of town (groceries). On my way home I stopped at the Wally World and found a full case of Winchester White Box 9mm sitting in the ammo case. Looked for a clerk, but there was not one in sight.

Finally, I found an assistant store manager and told her I would like to buy some ammo.

In short order, a gal from the hardware department showed up with the keys. She had no clue how to sell ammo, so she unlocked the case and asked me how many boxes I wanted (Even Though There Was A Sign That Said Three Box Limit).

I told her I would only take three boxes (after having shown her the sign). Since she could not check me out at the sporting goods counter, she told me to take the ammo to a register in the front of the store.

On the way, I picked up a 1/2 pound of Swiss Cheese at the deli, and no one ever took note of me strolling around with 300 rounds of 9mm.

Gotta love this place! Where else can you buy beer, bullets, and cheese in one place?

Top Bottom