• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Any idea where I could dispose of old worn US flags? I have a 3x5 one displayed from my front porch/entry at all times, but they become worn after about 6 months. I fold them up and store them after I get a new one. I used to drop them off at the Home Depot or Lowes where the Boy Scouts had a box for collecting them for proper disposal. Now they don't have that any more. I live near Grapevine/Flower Mound/Lakeside area north of DFW airport. Anyone know of an organization nearby that collects and respectfully retires old flags?

ACCIII

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2022
    Ohio
    Any idea where I could dispose of old worn US flags? I have a 3x5 one displayed from my front porch/entry at all times, but they become worn after about 6 months. I fold them up and store them after I get a new one. I used to drop them off at the Home Depot or Lowes where the Boy Scouts had a box for collecting them for proper disposal. Now they don't have that any more. I live near Grapevine/Flower Mound/Lakeside area north of DFW airport. Anyone know of an organization nearby that collects and respectfully retires old flags?
    Where I am located in BFE Ohio, our VFW and American Legion accepts retired versions of Old Glory ;-)

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I have heard that but never confirmed until now, tks.

I did know that, I just don't have a place to do it since my BBQ grill is built in gas and the ash would be difficult to remove.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    U may burn a flag that has become unserviceable.
    We installed a flagpole on top of a 70' grain silo back home. I tried every flag I could find, finally settling on the printed Annon flags instead of the stitched. The wind up there chewed them up quickly, and I went through a minimum of 4 flags a year.
    We looked into it, and found that you could burn them yourself, if done respectfully. We did it a few times. But it never felt anything but wrong. No matter how "respectful" we tried to be, it never felt like enough.
    I don't think I'll ever do it again outside of some extraordinary circumstance.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My flag came from the shopping center where the store I was working replaced the American and Texas flags regularly. I was surprised how nice they both were in. That flag laid folded for damn near 40 years

It sure looked like a quality made flag, but it really did not last very long. I’m going to have find a better flag when I finally dispose of this one.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    My flag came from the shopping center where the store I was working replaced the American and Texas flags regularly. I was surprised how nice they both were in. That flag laid folded for damn near 40 years

It sure looked like a quality made flag, but it really did not last very long. I’m going to have find a better flag when I finally dispose of this one.
    Annon still makes them in America. The stitched flags are more expensive, and look like they'd look better hanging. But we found their cheaper printed flags, which are a tad cheaper, seem to last longer in high wind environments. And they're sorta translucent, so they almost glow in the bright sunshine..

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    I posted this today in the cool picture thread, might as well post it here too..
    1728609055057.jpeg

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    Our Lowe’s store has a drop box for old flags. They give them to a local scout troop who disposes of them properly (burned with proper protocol).

Top Bottom