• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Hey Austin guess who’s coming to town. Dickhead Biden and Shithead AOC.

They gotta think they’re being seen as the saviors and can show us heathens the light instead of remaining mesmerized in our wicked ways.

I get why King Abbot is taking advantage of fed help, but he’s going to be ridiculed and deemed incompetent to no end. I mean, not that he’s not incompetent, but I’ll take his incompetency over the federal “I’m from the government and here to help” level of incompetence.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    20210220_140654.jpg
    55° right now. Towel wrapped around this hose bib is still in deep freeze conditions.
    Heater has been on it for 2 hours.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You didn't have plastic around the towel to keep it from getting wet, or block the wind?
    I was out of state. She did what she could.
    We're lucky so far.

I went to Lowes last week to get some of those insulated faucet covers for cold weather, and they were totally wiped out of them. So I cut the sleeves off a couple of old sweatshirts, and then wrapped a couple of grocery store plastic bags around them, then secured that with some duct tape. Seems to have worked just fine.

I think anything is better than nothing.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    When Lowes gets more of those faucet covers back in stock, I'm going to pick up a couple of them. Also going to get some of that foam pipe insulation as well. I am planning on making a cold-weather kit for outside and keep it up in the attic JIC we might have need of it again in the future.

This was only the third or fourth time in 17 years of living here that I have thought the need to wrap the pipes was necessary. Another one of my preps that needs to be addressed and will be shortly.

Reactions: gll

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Insulated Cooler bags are awesome and cheap to have for not only taking food and drinks with you, but you can wrap them over top of the Spigot and/or spigot insulated caps and duct tape them on. It is what I did and all my spigots checked out and I had no leaks. I Will check under the house when things dry out a bit. When you tape it to the house you created an additional surface area of cooling away from the spigot. So you have a 1/2 foot buffer.

For reference, this type:

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    In addition to spigot covers, buy a cheap foam ice chest (mid-sized). Stuff it with insulation. Line the edges with foam weather strip. Use a cinder block to hold it up against the house over the spigot and spigot cover. Second layer can really help.

No busted pipes here or at kin's houses. Blessed.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    The New York and DC media is laughing their ass off and making fun of Texas because of this sub zero weather. I hope it hits 110 up there this summer and they all lose power and sweat to death.

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Insulation is great stuff, more of it is better, but the failing of any amount of insulation is that if it is cold enough, long enough, the cold will eventually penetrate it, unless there is a heat source contained within it. Witness how short a time it took for peoples well insulated houses to become unbearably cold inside when their electric heat failed along with their electricity.

An electric heater set too low to create much residual heat, and loss of electricity in the first rolling blackout, led to not only a freeze in my well house, but when water stopped dripping from faucets, to lines to them freezing too.

The easiest option, for an event like this past, would be a small propane or kerosene stove, but those both required stored fuel... Running electric heat off a generator also requires stored fuel and is inefficient. Another option, more suited to SHTF, would be wood as fuel, but heating with wood in a cramped for space 8'x8' well house has it's own safety problems.

Any thoughts?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    ....An electric heater set too low to create much residual heat, and loss of electricity in the first rolling blackout, led to not only a freeze in my well house, but when water stopped dripping from faucets, to lines to them freezing too.
    Any thoughts?

I lost power for 4 days. My well didn't freeze at all. What I did was insulate the well head very well, and it only comes up from the ground, 90's over, then back down into the dirt again. I moved the pressure tank, switch, and everything else inside the house to keep the temperature more constant. A fire in the fireplace kept the house above freezing.

But for our typical short term freezes, generator with heat lamps or a small propane heater would be your best options.

Reactions: gll

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Went in the local Brookshires yesterday. They were closed for 3 days with no electricity and our area is still struggling with low or no water (no water at our house now for 2 days)

I was shocked to find mostly bare shelves. Produces - empty, meat - not much, I grabbed a brisket but the pickings were extremely slim like I’ve never seen. Dairy - nothing. Bread - minimal, shelves were 80 empty on bread isle.

I’m sure this will normalize in a few days but it’s still visually shocking to see your local grocery in this state. I saw nothing to this extreme during the lock down last year.

If we haven’t realized anything over the last year and especially in the last week out supply chains (of everything from electricity to food to water) is extremely fragile.

I think all of us have re evaluated our own personal prep for these events. I know Jana & I have.

Top Bottom