Reasons for buying guns— do you have any unique reasons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I got started with a collection of 9 bb guns by the time I was 9 years old. Always enjoyed some basic marksmanship. Got my first 22 at 11 and 12 gauge when I was 12 for birds and clays. First handgun was a janky rohm rg22 my mom had. I've enjoyed mechanical things from a young age, explains my career choice as an automotive tech now.

Since I spent a fair amount of my youth roaming around a friend's 800 acre ranch I've always loved the outdoors but just as much have the sense to protect myself. I still remember camping in the woods out there miles away from civilization with no cell phones and nothing but 22s and shotguns. Parents were ok with it too. Lol.

Now a days I'm just another well armed citizen ready to answer the call if our country or state is ever under threat. Ready to arm my community if I need to and churn out the reloaded ammo if the long term supply is threatened. As a reloader I'm always chasing smaller groups and still enjoy some high volume rimfire plinking. My gun purchases now are a bit more refined, holding out for the nicer stuff.

A majority of my collection now are functional defense guns, pistols, ARs and shotguns but I do have a hoard of 22s that always put a smile on my face. I'm finally gravitating towards some suppressed stuff so I imagine my next purchases will be targeted towards those applications. My 280 is still putting meat in the freezer year after year and I'm definitely an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    While I had hunted and had a shotgun when I was young, my first handgun I bought, S&W model 59, was for protection. I enjoy plinking and certainly I have bought guns to stretch my abilities in that endeavor, but protection is still my main concern. Most everywhere I go at home and about, I have a firearm nearby.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    While I had hunted and had a shotgun when I was young, my first handgun I bought, S&W model 59, was for protection. I enjoy plinking and certainly I have bought guns to stretch my abilities in that endeavor, but protection is still my main concern. Most everywhere I go at home and about, I have a firearm nearby.

<>

Breakdown of society & its moral mores !

Sadly, we today resemble your remarks.

<>

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    <>

Does the OP mean other than my 4 kids & 10 grandkids ?

For one reason or another, my guns keep going out the door, borrowed ‘’permanently”.

I can’t fault them, b/c I well recall doing the very same with my own grand-dads’ guns.

By grace of GOD, I have a lot more guns than they did, and more grandkids, too.

leVieux

<>
    Those (grandkids) are great reasons!

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I enjoy the mechanical aspect of firearms. I learn about the construction and manufacturing process from each different one I handle. The mechanisms are fascinating- I went down the Browning rabbit hole and still marvel at his mind. I like machines and enjoy trying to improve on some- bit of filing here, smoothing there.

Then there is the Historical component- guns make history come alive. Go out and shoot some black powder to appreciate where we are today. Carry around a wwII rifle for a bit. Each scuff and gouge in the stock tells a story.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I enjoy the mechanical aspect of firearms. I learn about the construction and manufacturing process from each different one I handle. The mechanisms are fascinating- I went down the Browning rabbit hole and still marvel at his mind. I like machines and enjoy trying to improve on some- bit of filing here, smoothing there.

Then there is the Historical component- guns make history come alive. Go out and shoot some black powder to appreciate where we are today. Carry around a wwII rifle for a bit. Each scuff and gouge in the stock tells a story.
    I‘ve owned several double revolvers that shoot rimless calibers (like 9mm) without moon clips and am intrigued by the way S&W, Charter Arms, etc. came up with different ways to retain the cartridges and permit extraction (S&W leaf springs vs CA detents)

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Anyone else here like breathing? I don't remember when I got into breathing but for some reason I just enjoy doing it. I especially like that oxygen flavor.

When did ya'll start breathing and why? Any particular reasons why you like breathing so much?

I had to give that habit up due to allergy season.....

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Anyone else here like breathing? I don't remember when I got into breathing but for some reason I just enjoy doing it. I especially like that oxygen flavor.

When did ya'll start breathing and why? Any particular reasons why you like breathing so much?
    Damn..I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that myself.
    Good show!

Top Bottom