• ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    >
    Yes, I always advise new folks to not start-out with too large of a gun. It is essential that you realize that "sometimes carry" is extremely dangerous. Therefore, carry all the time you legally can. Remember that a smaller gun, which is more comfortable to carry & won't be left home, is better than a too-large gun which won't be there when needed. Don't get too carried away by all the technical talk. ANY GUN is always a lot better than no gun !

I was caught unarmed by a violent ex-con ONCE; that cured me of the "I'll carry when I think I need to" mindset forever.

Invest in good belts ! Belts will "make or break" your experience. In recent years, I use GALCO belts almost exclusively. You'll end-up with a "holster box" just like the rest of us. IWB's are easier to conceal. Not knowing your type of weapon, can't advise further.

Good Luck & may GOD Bless !

leVieux
    EXTREMELY good advice!

SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    >
    Yes, I always advise new folks to not start-out with too large of a gun. It is essential that you realize that "sometimes carry" is extremely dangerous. Therefore, carry all the time you legally can. Remember that a smaller gun, which is more comfortable to carry & won't be left home, is better than a too-large gun which won't be there when needed. Don't get too carried away by all the technical talk. ANY GUN is always a lot better than no gun !

I was caught unarmed by a violent ex-con ONCE; that cured me of the "I'll carry when I think I need to" mindset forever.

Invest in good belts ! Belts will "make or break" your experience. In recent years, I use GALCO belts almost exclusively. You'll end-up with a "holster box" just like the rest of us. IWB's are easier to conceal. Not knowing your type of weapon, can't advise further.

Good Luck & may GOD Bless !

leVieux
    "Remember that a smaller gun, which is more comfortable to carry & won't be left home, is better than a too-large gun which won't be there when needed."

I agree with this completely. If I were trying to carry around a full-size like some guys, I'd probably get sick of it and leave it at home. Pocket pistol is better than no pistol.

Also IMO, shot placement, faster follow up shots, and greater mag capacity pretty much trumps terminal ballistics every time. That's why I choose 9mm over .40 or .45 for both my carry piece and my HD pistol.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Mag capacity, in my own opinion, is somewhat overrated. Twenty rounds is great but I'd think very few of what us honest, non-criminal folks would not need that many. The key is shot placement. That said, I carry nine rounds of .45 in a semi-auto or sometimes only five rounds of .357 mag. I do not feel under-gunned. Just my own personal opinion.

SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    Mag capacity, in my own opinion, is somewhat overrated. Twenty rounds is great but I'd think very few of what us honest, non-criminal folks would need. That said, I carry nine rounds of .45 in a semi-auto or sometimes only five rounds of .357 mag. I do not feel under-gunned.
    9 round of .45 is pretty good. I don't want to ignite the 9 vs .40 vs .45 debate though.
    I will say that I definitely shoot faster and more accurately with a 9mm.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I don’t have much to add as others have pointed you in the right direction. I will only add: Train and pack with what you can hit with.

Don’t buy a gun just cause it’s the hotness of the month only to find out you suck with it. I went back to packing service or full size depending on who makes it, not because of capacity but for being able to shoot better. In turn I not only can defend myself better but I can improve my odds of not hitting something or someone I don’t want to.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I don’t have much to add as others have pointed you in the right direction. I will only add: Train and pack with what you can hit with.

Don’t buy a gun just cause it’s the hotness of the month only to find out you suck with it. I went back to packing service or full size depending on who makes it, not because of capacity but for being able to shoot better. In turn I not only can defend myself better but I can improve my odds of not hitting something or someone I don’t want to.
    Exactly! If you can shoot well with a .45, use it. If you shoot better with a 9mm use it. Accuracy is the key.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    I like deep cover pocket carry with camo pants from propper or Rothco. My g26 comes out easy.
    When its jacket season I'll use a galco or bianchi belt rig and maybe a g19, g19x. Maybe a g17.
    Or maybe my miami classic shoulder holster..

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Practice Practice Practice know your weapon.
    Ftf drills fte drills drop mag clear reload.
    No matter what you carry spare magazines. Period.
    If you carry 45 that shit is heavy. 9 I don't know about. I carry 45 3 spare mag.
    But I accept the weight. But like 99% here said your not here for a extended battle.
    Imho it's for escape.
    But if it jams etc you got to know what to do.

Carrying is serious business and now you have to ask yourself are you truly ready to take someone's life...??? You must reconcile yourself with this Period. Because if you are not don't carry.

The ramifications of this world change your life forever.
    P.s the law is important but thought is paramount

SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    Practice Practice Practice know your weapon.
    Ftf drills fte drills drop mag clear reload.
    No matter what you carry spare magazines. Period.
    If you carry 45 that shit is heavy. 9 I don't know about. I carry 45 3 spare mag.
    But I accept the weight. But like 99% here said your not here for a extended battle.
    Imho it's for escape.
    But if it jams etc you got to know what to do.

Carrying is serious business and now you have to ask yourself are you truly ready to take someone's life...??? You must reconcile yourself with this Period. Because if you are not don't carry.

The ramifications of this world change your life forever.
    P.s the law is important but thought is paramount
    If de-escalation is possible, I would greatly prefer that route, and I'm not just saying that. If it's a choice between drawing and firing on the bad guy, or myself or a family member being injured or killed, I'll draw and fire without a doubt.

I thought about carrying at least one spare mag, and I might, but I'm thinking that if I need more than 10+1, I'm either a terrible shot, or I'm in deeper shit than a pocket pistol can resolve.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    If de-escalation is possible, I would greatly prefer that route, and I'm not just saying that. If it's a choice between drawing and firing on the bad guy, or myself or a family member being injured or killed, I'll draw and fire without a doubt.

I thought about carrying at least one spare mag, and I might, but I'm thinking that if I need more than 10+1, I'm either a terrible shot, or I'm in deeper shit than a pocket pistol can resolve.
    Point but what happens when you have a mag problem or ftf t fte and you in the middle of some shit? Do you holler time out so you can clear your weapon ?
    Or do you drop mag clear and move on?
    What happens if your mag fails and you have only one
    Asking for a friend

SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    Point but what happens when you have a mag problem or ftf t fte and you in the middle of some shit? Do you holler time out so you can clear your weapon ?
    Or do you drop mag clear and move on?
    What happens if your mag fails and you have only one
    Asking for a friend
    That is indeed a valid consideration. I'd expect anything I carry to be able to cycle hundreds of rounds of the shittiest ammo (I test with steel case, crappy JHPs, and the ammo I plan to carry of course) without a single failure, which my P11 has done. But anything is possible.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    That is indeed a valid consideration. I'd expect anything I carry to be able to cycle hundreds of rounds of the shittiest ammo (I test with steel case, crappy JHPs, and the ammo I plan to carry of course) without a single failure, which my P11 has done. But anything is possible.
    What's the old saying the best plans don't survive first contact

rcvasquez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2016
    I keep mine in it's holster unless Im on the range or cleaning. The holster is it's new home. I also take my holster off put it in it then attach it to my belt. Since I'm not an leo I don't see the need to reholster while it's on my belt. Seems that's when most nds happen.

Top Bottom