• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    I have long thought about getting a TX CHL, but never got around to it. Now that CC is legal in Texas, I plan to start carrying. With people going full on nutty at such a large scale, I don't think it has ever been more important to do so than it is now.

I was given a Kel-Tec P11 a while back by my parents who didn't want it after they inherited it from my grandfather. That's what I plan to carry until I can get something better like a Kahr CM9. I ordered an IWB leather/kydex holster from Foxx Holsters and plan to carry at the 5 o' clock position, right above my right-back pocket. Thinking is that bad guy demands your wallet, but the CCW comes out instead.

I have never carried concealed before, so I'm looking for pointers on anything. I figured I'll have to adjust my attire a little bit to make sure I don't print or show accidentally. Is there anything else I need to understand before I start carrying?

Also, do yall remove your CCW from its holster while in the car, or leave it?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I never unholster my weapon unless I am firing it or cleaning it. I'd also just make damn sure you always follow the firearm rules of safety, I know it sounds silly and redundant to mention them, but they should always be mentioned and followed. I even mention them to folks who have tons of firearms experience if its my first time dealing with them.

Always treat a gun as if it is loaded

Never point the muzzle at anything that you do not intend to destroy

Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire

Always know your target and what is beyond it.

I cannot stress this enough, practice. It makes a difference. And make damn sure you're familiar with the local and regional laws.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I have long thought about getting a TX CHL, but never got around to it. Now that CC is legal in Texas, I plan to start carrying. With people going full on nutty at such a large scale, I don't think it has ever been more important to do so than it is now.

I was given a Kel-Tec P11 a while back by my parents who didn't want it after they inherited it from my grandfather. That's what I plan to carry until I can get something better like a Kahr CM9. I ordered an IWB leather/kydex holster from Foxx Holsters and plan to carry at the 5 o' clock position, right above my right-back pocket. Thinking is that bad guy demands your wallet, but the CCW comes out instead.

I have never carried concealed before, so I'm looking for pointers on anything. I figured I'll have to adjust my attire a little bit to make sure I don't print or show accidentally. Is there anything else I need to understand before I start carrying?

Congratulations on making your decision.

Behind the hip carry has its pros and cons, as does your selection of holsters.

For years I carried behind the hip. When seated in a vehicle, you'll be resting on the gun. Not the most comfortable thing in the world!

More importantly though - you'll have to change how you reach for things. Bending over is going to show the world you're armed, either by a shirt riding up, or just the shirt coming tight and showing the outline of the gun. Learn to kneel down to pick things up!

Get some snap caps and practice your draws, and your draw & shoot. Watch some videos by firearms trainers (or better yet, take a class in person) and learn various methods for clearing your cover garment and drawing - two handed, and one handed. Figure out which works best with your body and how your dressing.

As for your holster... I personally loathe the "hybrid" kydex/leather holsters. You're relying on belt tension to keep the gun in place, because of the soft backer. They tend to wear in / wear out too, and unless you get a "combat cut" style, can interfere with getting a proper grip on the gun, and they will tend to collapse in when you've drawn the gun. If leather is your thing, getting a high quality, custom fit leather holster is the way to go, but i personally prefer kydex / themoplastic because they retain their shape, they don't collapse, and the retention is going to be a lot more consistent, and a good kydex holster doesn't rely on belt tension to retain the gun.

As for vehicle carry - I don't remove the gun unless i have to. I don't carry behind the hip anymore - I either carry AIWB or at most, 3 0'clock. I can access the gun while seated, I don't have it creating a pain point, and the less you're handling your gun, the less likely you are to have a negligent discharge or scaring some Karen who then calls in a "man with a gun" to the po po.

If you're carrying inside the waistband you may need to upsize your waist by one size. You may also want to go with a size larger shirt, or at least start buying longer shirts if you currently go for shorter cut shirts. If you decide to carry outside the waistband, get a good solid gun belt that will support the weight of the gun without letting the grip flop out.

Watch these videos for some good info on efficiently concealing a handgun from Jon Hauptman, founder of Phlster holsters.

Some other resources you may find helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sASTDNy10eU

https://youtu.be/iXYEVLOX1wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgoQlpmWZk

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I never unholster my weapon unless I am firing it or cleaning it. I'd also just make damn sure you always follow the firearm rules of safety, I know it sounds silly and redundant to mention them, but they should always be mentioned and followed. I even mention them to folks who have tons of firearms experience if its my first time dealing with them.

Always treat a gun as if it is loaded

Never point the muzzle at anything that you do not intend to destroy

Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire

Always know your target and what is beyond it.

I cannot stress this enough, practice. It makes a difference. And make damn sure you're familiar with the local and regional laws.
    He left out carry a 1911

SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    Congratulations on making your decision.

Behind the hip carry has its pros and cons, as does your selection of holsters.

For years I carried behind the hip. When seated in a vehicle, you'll be resting on the gun. Not the most comfortable thing in the world!

More importantly though - you'll have to change how you reach for things. Bending over is going to show the world you're armed, either by a shirt riding up, or just the shirt coming tight and showing the outline of the gun. Learn to kneel down to pick things up!

Get some snap caps and practice your draws, and your draw & shoot. Watch some videos by firearms trainers (or better yet, take a class in person) and learn various methods for clearing your cover garment and drawing - two handed, and one handed. Figure out which works best with your body and how your dressing.

As for your holster... I personally loathe the "hybrid" kydex/leather holsters. You're relying on belt tension to keep the gun in place, because of the soft backer. They tend to wear in / wear out too, and unless you get a "combat cut" style, can interfere with getting a proper grip on the gun, and they will tend to collapse in when you've drawn the gun. If leather is your thing, getting a high quality, custom fit leather holster is the way to go, but i personally prefer kydex / themoplastic because they retain their shape, they don't collapse, and the retention is going to be a lot more consistent, and a good kydex holster doesn't rely on belt tension to retain the gun.

As for vehicle carry - I don't remove the gun unless i have to. I don't carry behind the hip anymore - I either carry AIWB or at most, 3 0'clock. I can access the gun while seated, I don't have it creating a pain point, and the less you're handling your gun, the less likely you are to have a negligent discharge or scaring some Karen who then calls in a "man with a gun" to the po po.

If you're carrying inside the waistband you may need to upsize your waist by one size. You may also want to go with a size larger shirt, or at least start buying longer shirts if you currently go for shorter cut shirts. If you decide to carry outside the waistband, get a good solid gun belt that will support the weight of the gun without letting the grip flop out.

Watch these videos for some good info on efficiently concealing a handgun from Jon Hauptman, founder of Phlster holsters.

Some other resources you may find helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sASTDNy10eU

https://youtu.be/iXYEVLOX1wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgoQlpmWZk

Wow, great and thoughtful response, thank you.

SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    The fact that you are asking about removing your gun from a holster while in your car shows you are in need of more legal training. I suggest downloading the manual from Texas DPS site and at minimum taking LTC course.
    Well, I've seen holsters that mount to the side of a car center console and make the CCW more accessible while in the vehicle, and I was thinking something along those lines.
    But yeah, I don't doubt that I need to know more before starting to carry. Knowledge is power.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Well, I've seen holsters that mount to the side of a car center console and make the CCW more accessible while in the vehicle, and I was thinking something along those lines.
    But yeah, I don't doubt that I need to know more before starting to carry. Knowledge is power.
    Right the gun must be holstered I guess unless it’s in the glove box carried under motorist protection act. I don’t think that requires a holster. If it’s open carry it must be holstered. Can be holstered to center carrier. Not a bad idea. LTC course is really worth it.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    The fact that you are asking about removing your gun from a holster while in your car shows you are in need of more legal training. I suggest downloading the manual from Texas DPS site and at minimum taking LTC course.
    Not necessarily I drive a big truck I unholster on a regular. Been stopped on a regular with my firearm on my passenger seat. Nary a problem.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx

Hey SKS-Fanboy93 - there are some good resources around Texas HB 1927/Permitless Carry. The US LawShield group put out an excellent, free 20 some odd page .PDF guide to Texas' new Permit less carry. In our LTC classes, we spend most of the time educating students about where they may and may not carry and how. Then all the rules of use of lethal force and avoiding that, verbal de-escalation, safe storage and all that stuff. It will still be important to educate yourself on all that info so that when you do carry under the new laws, that you do it in a manner that doesn't land you in jail or worse. Check out the guide though - it covers where you may and may not carry which is pretty important to know! Good luck and welcome to the world of being a self defender/protector.

Top Bottom