• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Being very old & living in a semi-rural area, we are increasingly dependent on the various delivery services like USPS, USPOD, Amazon, FedEx, etc.

Recently their business volumes have exploded, and they have had to hire inexperienced drivers.

Suddenly, we are having massive delivery like we’ve never seen before. Deliveries to wrong addresses, packages left on ground in rain, large items rammed into our RFD Mailbox, & missing items.

After extensive phone conversations with some of their “customer services”, one major cause is coming to light. We always give them our street address. Our long crooked driveway entrance is on the paved public street next to our clearly marked mailbox. Our driveway is packed concrete aggregate covered with abundant coarse limestone. It doesn’t flood, is two pickups wide, //very well lit/marked, & is graded & rolled regularly. We also have a turn-around loop & extra truck-size parking places at the carport & garage concrete aprons

What could cause the problems ?

The newer drivers have difficulty with street addresses, so they try to use “GPS Location” instead of the actual address. This is blamed by their C.S. Our neighborhood has numerous very long driveways, some 1/2 mie long.

So we must write-in in the instructions sections of the labels: “Deliver to STREET ADDRESS, not GPS Location!”

I am posting this in the hopes it could help someone else in a similar situation.

<>

justmax

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have friends out in Buffalo that had a problem with delivery services also. Their driveway is about a quarter mile long, but the drivers were leaving the packages out in the rain by the mailbox with the street address on it.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    When I lived in upstate NY, I had a long driveway out in the country. I built a bus stop at the end of the driveway so my kids would be there when the bus pulled up. Many times in the winter packages would be left there out of the elements and couldn't be seen from the street. This was in the 80's.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It's not just that they have a big turn around on delivery drivers, although that is part of the problem. It's also the quality of the people getting those jobs. Not all of course, but many don't take pride in how they work today. They want more money for less.

If you really want to have some fun, try changing your address although your physical location is the same. (sarcasm)

justmax

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have seen a few large weatherproof boxes near the gate around here. They are labeled 'deliveries'.
    I’m a full-time RV here and live in an RV park. I have an approximately 18 x 18 x 18 “deck box“ that is clearly marked “deliveries”. You can’t believe how often I come home to find my packages sitting On Top of the box.
    Which of the comedians said that ignorance can be fixed, but stupidity cannot?

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    He must have shipped those jobs by Fed Ex, they don't seem to have been delivered.
    Well, if you discount the jobs that were filled after the COVID closures, that would probably eat up most of that 15,000,000. He could claim the bloat in government (like thousands of new IRS jobs).

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    I have seen a few large weatherproof boxes near the gate around here. They are labeled 'deliveries'.
    And there it is, simple.

High-end Community around the corner and down the road all have weatherproof, locked, drop boxes at their gates.

OP, yes you, Dr. Old Phart, if you can afford a "packed aggregate with crushed limestone drive that is graded and rolled regularly" Stop your bitching and get a drop box.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    And there it is, simple.

High-end Community around the corner and down the road all have weatherproof, locked, drop boxes at their gates.

OP, yes you, Dr. Old Phart, if you can afford a "packed aggregate with crushed limestone drive that is graded and rolled regularly" Stop your bitching and get a drop box.
    HE'S LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO BOYCOTT TO JUSTIFY HIS RANT

Walker Travel

PM for Cruises, Vacations, Disney and More!
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2024
    DFW
    While we don't have any direct problems with package delivery, I have noticed recently that folks are beginning to have drones deliver packages around here. It's freakin' weird having a large drone buzz up and then drop a package down to the ground.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    And there it is, simple.

OP, yes you, Dr. Old Phart, if you can afford a "packed aggregate with crushed limestone drive that is graded and rolled regularly"

Just fancy words maybe... I have a roughly 700', gated, packed crushed rock driveway I drag with a box blade "regularly". It ain't fancy by any means but could use the same words and make it sound so.

eta: I have a call button at the gate, little chy-na intercom thingy but they leave packages at the gate and never once push the little button. Fortunately the cameras send me a snap because they don't seem concerned about the weather either.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Generally, Amazon is pretty good, UPS is ok, and the USPS is lucky to find the city, let alone the address.

My neighbor does security systems for stuff like hospitals, so his house has some cool cameras (not like the stuff on sale at Costco). He had a delivery from Amazon, and the guy walked down his driveway, down the sidewalk to his front door, set down the package, and took a picture before leaving. UPS delivered a package, and started through his yard but realized there were bushes in front of his door, so the guy went around the bushes and set the package down. Then the Post Office chick showed up. She walked through the yard, realized there were bushes in front of the door, so she tossed the package over the bushes. All 3 deliveries happened within an hour, and all 3 were caught on security cameras. He made a video and sent it to the Post Office. Next day, the Post Office chick shows up at the front door, ringing the bell, and then cussing him out ("I know you can hear me, you ####!) So, he made another video and sent it to the Post Office. Haven't seen that girl since.

I ordered some bullets (not cartridges) from Acme, and they shipped them in a heavy plastic bag that was inside of a wood box and then inside a cardboard box. When I got it, it was busted open and half of the bullets were gone. I contacted Acme and they asked me to take the box to the post office so they could collect on the insurance. I did that, but the Post Office person just looked at it and said, "OK", and walked away. I tried to convince her that someone on their staff had cut open the cardboard box, pried open the wood box, and sliced through the heavy plastic, probably because they thought it was cartridges, not bullets, and so therefore this should be investigated. She shrugged and said something like, "What do you care as long as it's insured." Acme, to their credit, sent me a new box of bullets.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    We have informed delivery and know when a package is coming. Have had several packages that the delivery person said no one was home. BS we are waiting on the package.

Top Bottom