Please reply by conversation.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I think there's a little more to it than just 3 holes just judging by what all came with it.

upe4unah.jpg

It didn't come with any instructions but I'm sure they have them on their website; just haven't had a chance to look yet.

I was relieved to see this:

ysy3a6uj.jpg

I had been wondering how I was going to get that done right.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    OK. The jig doesn't have to be cut off. It fits very tight but is pretty easy to remove. Here are some pics of it outside the jig:

eryra5y3.jpg

pajege7a.jpg

ehugu6uz.jpg

5ademara.jpg

huje4agy.jpg

nu4egary.jpg

This is what had me thinking it had to be cut off:

a3a9e6e7.jpg

Still looking for good instructions to complete it as the jig shown in the .pdf on the Polymer80 website looks a bit different than the one that came with mine.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Still looking for good instructions to complete it as the jig shown in the .pdf on the Polymer80 website looks a bit different than the one that came with mine.
    I was under the impression that the final instructions were the videos on their web site. Then I checked the site and found it's been changed. The how-to videos are gone. The .pdf you refer to is the only instruction set left on the site.

The Wayback Machine was no help, so maybe I'm misremembering that there were two assembly videos on their home page at one time. Chalk it up to senility.

The site also makes reference to their Facebook page and their participation at Calguns but it does NOT link directly to them. It's just a couple of details, sure, but that's an incredibly sloppy failure to pay attention to the details. What new company doesn't put a Facebook link at the top of their page? Who actually goes to the trouble to reference a third-party website but doesn't provide a link? This isn't just sloppy, it's plain old weird, to boot.

So, the Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Polymer-80/138959999623430 for me. Given the way FB plays with web standards, I'll be interested to know if that link works for everyone else.

The calguns thread seems to start here: New Polymer 80%ers coming out - Calguns.net

Neither of those resources seems to have any updated instructions. Since I don't have mine in hand, yet, I can't compare it to the .pdf to see if the differences are significant.

TXARGUY - Are the instructions so different from the real product that a complete beginner like me will have problems?

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    benenglish;812444 TXARGUY - Are the instructions so different from the real product that a complete beginner like me will have problems?[/QUOTE said:
    I remember there being videos also but maybe I'm mistaken too.

I am going to complete mine using a drill press. I had initially planned on using a hand drill and dremel but looking at it now I don't think that is going to be the way to go. I'll be doing mine next Saturday and will post either pics or a video of the whole process once it's completed.

I really don't think it's going to be a problem following the .pdf instructions. After studying them a bit more I think it will be fairly easy, I'm just not planning on getting in a hurry and I'm going to be measuring a whole lot more than I will be drilling.

So far it looks like it will be a decent lower but I am not happy at all with the thickness of the mag well walls and that there is zero tapering (which would be impossible seeing as the mag walls are paper thin).

Polymer80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Hi folks! Just want to clear some things up.. We NEVER had how to videos, so nothing was removed. We did put together a PDF for now and when we pu that together we only had the prototype jig. The only differences are that the real jig is red and has a level sled on the bottom to make it easier to use and slight correction on the top. Everything else is identical.

We are working on a good quality video for instructions that will happen ASAP.

Regarding the mag-well.

It is a bit deceiving I admit but the thickness is the same as aluminum lowers and it will not break on you. go ahead and press on it as hard as you can... it will just bounce right back. Obviously if you use a vice or something it will crack it but even then it will out last the metal ones.

There IS a taper. It is slight but is there and it has to be for the slider in the mold to even work. Please try ANY magazine and see for yourself how butter-smooth the fit and finish is and how easily the mag inserts and falls out.

Keep in mind; NO ONE is using this material on the lower, ours is far more flexible and thus has much greater impact resistance.

Now we may thicken the walls on the mag well in the future. It does not need it at all but it may make people feel better about it, but as far as function, the current mag well is pretty awesome.

Anyway... hope that helps clear things up!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The red part in the Fire control pocket. What is that? Is the fire control pocket there and the red stuff is filler, or is it just painted red?

Polymer80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The red part in the Fire control pocket. What is that? Is the fire control pocket there and the red stuff is filler, or is it just painted red?

It is a plastic core that is a different material entirely. The receiver is molded around it. It is red to make it plain to see what needs to be removed.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It is a plastic core that is a different material entirely. The receiver is molded around it. It is red to make it plain to see what needs to be removed.

Thanks, I thought it was plastic not polymer, I did not think it was post-filled, but had not thought of molding around it.

I am very happy with mine. I think the ease of use of the jig is one of the best parts of the system. It seems the jig construction was well thought out to facilitate the ease of use of the Drill Press/Mill. 44mm...... The inclusion of bits, etc., make it one of the easiest DIY gun projects out there.

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Does it have a different melting point? :-) Hopefully cooler than the material surrounding it. :fire:

I could see Step one: put in microwave to melt out core plastic. Step 2 File away.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Does it have a different melting point? :-) Hopefully cooler than the material surrounding it. :fire:

I could see Step one: put in microwave to melt out core plastic. Step 2 File away.

That is where I was headed. Can I just put it in oven and melt it out.

Polymer80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    That is where I was headed. Can I just put it in oven and melt it out.

No. I would not recommend that at all. The core needs to actually have a pretty high heat tolerance to withstand molten Polycarbonate to fill in around it an maintain it's shape.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    No. I would not recommend that at all. The core needs to actually have a pretty high heat tolerance to withstand molten Polycarbonate to fill in around it an maintain it's shape.

thanks. i would have removed the material first and then checked it for melt point. I will just mill it out the old fashioned way.

Polymer80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thanks, I thought it was plastic not polymer, I did not think it was post-filled, but had not thought of molding around it.

I am very happy with mine. I think the ease of use of the jig is one of the best parts of the system. It seems the jig construction was well thought out to facilitate the ease of use of the Drill Press/Mill. 44mm...... The inclusion of bits, etc., make it one of the easiest DIY gun projects out there.
    Just a technical point; all plastics are polymers but not all polymers are plastics. But it is a cheaper plastic on the inside but still has a high heat tolerance.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom