Political: Cartoons, Memes, Funny Pictures, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I know this isn't a picture, but this made me laugh. Bill Maher is very good at controlling the narrative on his show, but Dan Crenshaw schooled Maher. Maybe it's because he didn't have a crowd to help deflect from the response made by Crenshaw, but I was laughing very hard at Maher's inability to make comebacks against Crenshaw's retorts:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I know this isn't a picture, but this made me laugh. Bill Maher is very good at controlling the narrative on his show, but Dan Crenshaw schooled Maher. Maybe it's because he didn't have a crowd to help deflect from the response made by Crenshaw, but I was laughing very hard at Maher's inability to make comebacks against Crenshaw's retorts:

Dan ate Maher alive.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    pic86965.jpg

Attachments

• pic86965.jpg
      pic86965.jpg
      196.9 KB · Views: 817

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    With all due respect, I was trained by one of the best majors in detecting and controlling kicks. Spent time on the floating rigs as a drilling engineer. Have been on the drill floor, and from the moon deck to the derrick. Helped teach the well control school at a major oil company's test rig.

I have read the actual accounts and reports, have not seen the movie. They were getting way more flow out than they were pumping into the well. They were clueless and did not respond to the kick until way too late. They should have closed in much earlier, read the standpipe pressure, calculated the required mud weight, weighted up the mud and started circulating bottoms up.

From the investigation report:
    "The rig crew's first apparent well control actions occurred after the hydrocarbons were rapidly flowing to the surface. The rig crew did not recognize the influx and did not act to control the well until hydrocarbons had passed through the BOP into the riser."

That well was screaming "I'm kicking" and the crew did not do anything.

Was the equipment not well maintained? No, it was not. But even so a properly trained crew could have easily controlled the kick.

With due respect, you either don't know what happened or you have inadequate training.

I've done a lot of reading, required reading from 2 majors. I also personally know and worked with former crew.
    Try this one:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16187823-disastrous-decisions

The reports and transcripts from the court testimonies read very differently. "Normalization of deviation" is the new buzz word spawned from that whole ordeal. As well fear of losing their jobs.

"The rig crew's first apparent well control actions occurred after the hydrocarbons were rapidly flowing to the surface. The rig crew did not recognize the influx and did not act to control the well until hydrocarbons had passed through the BOP into the riser." It's kind of hard to recognize a kick when you are pumping fluid to the boat whilst displacing the well isn't it? No, impossible, with no barrel in barrel out to meter . No one realized it until it was too late.

The only thing the drill crew should have done it not be afraid to get run off for doing the right thing before it got out of hand. They were either scared to or brainwashed by TO & BP that it's OK and not a problem. The consequences of these events have redefined what process safety is.

With that I will leave you to it there ol' Conference Room Driller.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I've done a lot of reading, required reading from 2 majors. I also personally know and worked with former crew.
    Try this one:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16187823-disastrous-decisions

The reports and transcripts from the court testimonies read very differently. "Normalization of deviation" is the new buzz word spawned from that whole ordeal. As well fear of losing their jobs.

"The rig crew's first apparent well control actions occurred after the hydrocarbons were rapidly flowing to the surface. The rig crew did not recognize the influx and did not act to control the well until hydrocarbons had passed through the BOP into the riser." It's kind of hard to recognize a kick when you are pumping fluid to the boat whilst displacing the well isn't it? No, impossible, with no barrel in barrel to meter . No one realized it until it was too late.

The only thing the drill crew should have done it not be afraid to get run off for doing the right thing before it got out of hand. They were either scared to or brainwashed by TO & BP that it's OK and not a problem. The consequences of these events have redefined what process safety is.

With that I will leave you to it there ol' Conference Room Driller.
    I've been on the rig floor of a floater. Have you? Even run tongs (chain as well as power). Have you?

Guess you haven't heard of heave compensation to account for the wave induced movement of the vessel/riser?

They did know there was more coming out than going in. Read the reports. They failed to react until it was too late. That does not excuse TO. TO is at fault for not training the crew. Nor does it relieve the companies responsible for BOP maintenance. But had the crew been properly trained, they would all be alive today.

Top Bottom