• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Some of us have had some very bad experiences with pits...I have and more than once, twice, three plus..one with my Daughter when she was 15 (we barely made it to jump into the open bed of my pickup or we'd of been mauled) and another with my youngest Granddaughter while cycling, plus a number of attacks by loose pits also while out cycling, but sure they're just, ah, misunderstood...

My opinion of this breed is colored by those experiences.

Kimberly Guilfoyle's San Francisco mauling case is one of the more notorious on record along with a enormous amount of other pit attacks, but sure other breeds cause damage, I just haven't heard or read of nearly as many as pit attacks that lead to death or maiming.

Are pits getting an unfair rap?

Maybe, but I know my experiences as compared to other dogs...far more pits have given me grief than 'any other'.

Perhaps, a poll could be taken regarding those who don't trust them and those who do...it'd be interesting...I think.

Venture Surplus ad

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Everyone wants to blame the owner but I worry about the pit that doesn't have an owner and is prowling around in a pack. I never go for the mail without either my gun or a baton on me or both. Chihuahua attack ( and I have a chihuahua) is unlikely to kill me although some are very aggresive. I have owned an Akita and they could kill you. A good owner leashes his dog always. Pits tend to get dumped and some (but not all) are very aggressive. Some are cuddle dogs. I also have a lap dog Boston Terrier, known for benign behavior but I have seen very mean ones. Just like humans, each dog is unique. I see a dog running free and am always prepared that it might come after me. I am always prepared to defend myself and kill if need be.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    So add pitbull dogs to the verboten subjects with abortion and religion?

High drive dogs require proper training and handling. Anything less is negligence and may lead to bad shit happening.

Pitbull are what they are because of people. The breeding and lack of training are a recipe for disaster.

Now what to do about it is the question. Restrictions on ownership and breeding? Putting down any dog that demonstrate aggressive behavior the first time? Locking up owners who can't won't control them?

Forcing municipality to immediately restrain or kill all roving dogs in neighborhoods?

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Actually it would be to me. I actually really enjoy your posts and like seeing you here. You, like other women that no longer post on here, sometimes give a perspective that us men never consider. And that's good.
    You misunderstood my post and I understand that. I probably could have worded it better.
    My point was that neither are inherently bad. The owner/operator is. A dog is dangerous in the hands of a negligent owner/operator the same as a gun in the hands of a negligent owner/operator. Everyone assumed that I was trying to say a dog is no different than a gun on a table. Of course it ain't the same. And of course a gun on a table is of little danger. I ASSUMED that when I mentioned owner/OPERATOR folks would realize you can't have an operator if it isn't in a hand. Well, I assumed wrong. Apparently.
    How I put it may not be the best. But I still stand by it. A gun or a dog CONTROLLED by a negligent person are both dangerous. Controlled by a responsible person they are not. If we are allowed to condemn ALL Pits for the actions of a few then we give credence to both racists and gun grabbers all are bad or none are bullshit. One gun looks scary so nobody should have them, one black person committed a crime they are all bad, one Pit is dangerous so they all are.
    And that is wrong. I ain't buying it.

And that is one of the few absolutes I do know. Wrong for any reason is still wrong.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    Kind words, thanks :)
    We're good; no harm no foul. :cowboy:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    What round for pitbulls?
    tgt85.jpg

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    My best friend;

15ee4a936c66e7b332686c014b74de0c.jpg

None of y'all gonna face him off leaah. Rescued him a month ago. Knew I was bringing him home in less than a minute. My story: great dog that is easy to ruin.

So, two walks a day and I open carry. Neighbors didn't do the fence thing when I brought him home. That's changing: he's been stalked by pairs of dogs several times. I actually unholstered on day one while I forcefully commanded a male sheepdog/female pit mix to "go home." Between my commanding voice and his 75 lbs of "try me, " we have thwarted contact with the loose mongrels. Morning walks go east; afternoon walks go west. The loose dogs are rare now 'cause my schedule is consistent. He's not allowed to respond to idiot dogs fenced on their own property.

He's not my first Pit Bull. I love the breed. I think folks that abuse them are vicious criminals. But, I shared all that to say @MTA has my support. Respect for defending your family and your home. Nevermind a charging Pit's intentions; hope those that set them loose find similar resolution. Mine stays leashed when off my property and not at the dog park.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, not every pit bull owner is so responsible.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    pit bulls often get an undeserved reputation because of incidents like these.most aggressive and vicious dog i ever encountered was a black lab!

Undeserved? That is an illogical statement. They are well documented to be the most dangerous breed to people by far.

Doesn’t mean that a viscous Lab isn’t a thing…shoot it too!

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Popping back in after today's morning walk.

Many posters get "it." It is: folks that want to ban a breed 'cause it is scary or dangerous sound like Shiela Jackson Lee describing the AR15.

It is also: a loose, roaming, feral or otherwise neglected pit is sure-as-shit potentially dangerous or lethal. That's just another reason we arm ourselves and practice with our defensive tools. To be clear, I don't expect any loose, roaming, feral or otherwise neglected critter to be a cuddle partner. And, as a PSA, folks: When approached by teams of unsupervised Dogs (more than 1), be extra wary. They may be hunting or defending or ... but, a team of dogs is a force.

And it is: The Pit dog's most valuable characteristics "can" make it dangerous. Well bred Pit dogs are bred for gameness and empathetic loyalty. Gameness loosely translates to fearless determination - a "game" dog is known to never give up. Gameness is the trait that calls for followup shots - the game dog won't quit or give up its objective until their ability has been completely obliterated and it dies. Empathetic loyalty is the truly damning characteristic of a well bred Pit dog. I've owned Shepards, Labs, Dobermans, Bostons and Frenchies. No breed has been so desirous of pleasing me as.my Pit bulls. Pit dogs reflect their masters. And, it is unfortunate that assholes love to "own" these dogs. Pits more than any other breed I've encountered reflect their owner's personality.

A Pit dog is no more dangerous than your evil black gun of target. Yes, you've heard this a couple times already if this thread has entertained you. An owner that fails to secure his Pit dog is just as negligent as the owner that leaves his evil black rifle unsecured. If you live someplace where you would not leave your black rifle propped up on the front porch, you should not let your Pit dog roam unsupervised. Mischief happens.

I support prosecuting and convicting the negligent owners in West SA. Moreover, I support tossing them into the big cat cage at the San Antonio Zoo at feeding time. If it isn't obvious, my experience with the breed has endeared me to this breed. My experience with the abusers of this breed keeps me from breeding them.

Dom - my best friend pictured above - was actually the second Pit I attempted to rescue that day. I'd tried to win over a female that was dragging a hind leg (obviously hit by a car) on my route in Sugar Land the same morning I got the call about my best friend. I could not find her again after I finished my service call and hope she has found peace. I got home to the news that Dom had shown up at a friend's house on the North Side of Houston. He wasn't chipped, he was not claimed, and the friend's dog was not willing to share, so he needed a home. Jumped in the car and drove cross town for our winning lottery ticket. Our Frenchies have truly embarassed us as we have done a poor job socializing them. They abuse the crap out of Dom 'cause they are spoiled and poorly socialized. Dom takes it but doesn't deserve it. Thankfully, he seems to understand: the good life has its sore side too.

So ... try to sound and be smarter than Shiela Jackson Lee ... pretty please. You don't gotta love'm, like'm or ban'm. You do gotta protect you and yours from all manner of danger including loose, roaming and feral dogs of any breed.

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    You might want to do your research on the sig p320. Apparently it does have the ability to shoot without owner operator.
    Yes, at one time the P320 did have drop issues. Although according to some of the tests I have seen you had to work at it. Sig has since modified that pistol and as far as I know has not had anymore issues. If I remember correctly they also had issues with the P365 as well. That's why I generally wait a year or so before buying a brand new gun, especially from Sig, just to make sure they work the kinks out.

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    yhis entire discussion iassinine and going nowhere some people have their minds made up that certain dog breeds are dangerous and more prone to violence than other breeds! Fact is if a large dog attacks a peron regardless of what breed they are they are going to do massive amounts of damage!if you're scared of pit bulls then don't get one if you don't like guns no one is forcing you to get one!
    This tells me 2 things. You, or a close family member has a Pitt and that you whine and trivialize things when you lose an argument.

Still haven’t figured out the space bar have you?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Still haven’t figured out the space bar have you?
    Tard bullshit. Gotta pick on someone recovering from a stroke to feel like he wins.

stay classy.

ETA you're brain works differently after a stroke. Axxe is relearning how to use his along with using his hands.

If you were worth a pile a pitbull dog shit you would appologise and realise you phuked up.

Top Bottom