Join TexasGunTalk

Phuck Denton county and our HOA.

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by candcallen, Apr 7, 2020.

1. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    A lot of pros and cons to HOAs and probably depends on where you are. I live in a neighborhood with one now (only one I've been in) and except for a few minor dustups, it's been okay and I'm glad we have it. Keeps the neighborhood looking nice and helps property values. In fact it's requisite since we have common areas that need taking care of. Luckily our board members have for the most part been upstanding and NOT the power hungry overbearing types, but I know those exist and I definitely know the type.

Back around 2000, we built a house in a nice new development in an unincorporated area of the county with big lots and nice homes. Developer built a nice stone structure at the two entrances and a tall cedar fence spanning roughly 400-500 feet across, plus there was a grassy area in front all the way across that the county was not going to maintain. They only handled the ditch adjacent to the road. The developer would maintain for a set period of time and/or the development was sold out, which he did. When that expired, we knew something had to be done and a few homeowners got together to start an HOA to take care of the landscaping and fencing going forward. Was going to be maybe $50-100 a year per home with NO additional rules or regulations other than what were put in by the developer as far as building codes, etc. It was just for the upkeep and appearance of the entrance, nothing more.

I was pretty ambivalent, but got recruited by some behind the idea to speak on its behalf. We had a meeting one evening and were met with fierce resistance with people hollering about not wanting to be told they couldn't ride their 4-wheelers in the neighborhood or shoot off fireworks or where they could park and many other such things and how nobody was going to tell them what to do, which were just overreactions and assumptions. It was explained it was nothing like that, but just what it was.....maintenance going forward to keep the entrance and neighborhood in good shape and appealing. In the end, it was outvoted and never formed. We moved a few years later, but nothing to do with that.

I drive by there occasionally and the original 20 year old fence is now falling down in the ditch and the area the county doesn't maintain now has weeds and grass head high or double head high and it looks like an entrance to a meth head infested trailer park, but with high-end custom homes probably averaging $500K or more whose value is diminished by anyone who sees or drives into the neighborhood past the trashy entrance. It's completely asinine, but at least no one is telling them what to do, including taking care of their neighborhood.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Congrats? Can't imagine why you'd want to buy it knowing that the HOA is being troublesome.

3. mongoose

mongoose Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Well, good luck with your foundation repair. I will say if the builder was not competent enough to form and pour a correct slab with the proper compaction I would be very suspect of the quality of the rest of the house. Get an extended sellers warranty so you don’t find any unpleasant surprises.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    My personal thoughts? I just wouldn't pay yearly dues to people who could dictate what I could, or couldn't do with my own house and property.

brashears9567 likes this.
  5. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Common issue in north texas. Even with post tension slab.

Axxe55 likes this.
  6. mongoose

mongoose Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I’m so tired of hearing “ it’s common, you need to water your slab”. If you to build it correctly And you don’t need to worry. Excavate the clay out and fill and compact with engineered fill. I built mainly commercial and low and behold I’ve never had a slab promblen even with multi story buildings. Just do it right. Too many worthless “tailgate” so called contractors out there.

7. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Want a cookie for doing it right?

Axxe55 likes this.
  8. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    Every slab will settle with time, and form small fissures in them. Totally normal.

9. mongoose

mongoose Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    No cookie, thanks, However, I would like ignorance to keep from rationalizing poor craftsmanship.

10. mongoose

mongoose Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Every slab will develop hairline cracks ( a crack in every sack). Additionally, every slab may “ settle “ a bit, a properly poured slab won’t cause damage while sellleing and fail.