• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'm a lot cheaper than these suggestions! For the email and general browsing I do, a $400 HP laptop from Walmart works great. The battery will have to be replaced in a year or so otherwise it's more than adequate.
    For your budget you could get two and still be ahead. Totally different deal if you "work" on it, get something more robust but for a bigger screen and keyboard than your phone, easily fits the bill. A 1tb external drive is likely more than you'll ever use and can be moved to your next PC.
    Replacing batteries on a Windows laptop is probably fine for anyone who has some basic repair abilities, with the exception of Macbooks. Since around 2019, they are next to impossible for anyone to replace. You basically have to completely disassemble the entire thing to replace the battery. Not fun.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Replacing batteries on a Windows laptop is probably fine for anyone who has some basic repair abilities, with the exception of Macbooks. Since around 2019, they are next to impossible for anyone to replace. You basically have to completely disassemble the entire thing to replace the battery. Not fun.
    It was easier to replace the computer than the battery.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Just separate the case and there it is, it's fiddly with little plastic tabs and delicate connector to be careful of breaking but it's not especially difficult.
    I think those cheap laptops are pretty much disposable short of a couple simple things like a battery.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon! FKH
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    MacBook batteries are in multiple pieces and glued in too.

I replaced a battery in an Acer (maybe one of the lesser brands) a few years ago; it was a 3 hour job; almost a complete disassembly.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

I replaced a battery in an Acer (maybe one of the lesser brands) a few years ago; it was a 3 hour job; almost a complete disassembly.
    I've replaced a bunch of Dell laptop batteries. Most took less than 10 minutes. Dells seem to be really good about DIY repairs both with the laptops and desktops.
    I've replaced a few Macbook batteries including a 2019 recently that took over an hour since it was glued in and had to remove all the adhesive. It was a huge PIA.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Civilian Defense
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Dell, HP etc all are a burn of money. Look at ASUS or MSI or Alienware laptops with performance cpu and video card. Your money will be well spent in your price range.

You get more value for your dollar, future proof for additional years.

Last edited:

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Civilian Defense
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Proprietary laptops work but you pay more for service and bloatware than performance. Sure Dell, Lenovo, HP work. How many times has your pc went from superfast to a slug and mass spamware? ASUS, MSI etc are pre-built without bloatware.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    MG, for what you're wanting a new laptop for, I don't think those cheaper models from Dell, Walmart or anyone will be sufficient. $200-500 is almost laughable unless you just want to email and surf the web only. My two Dells (including one still in the box two months ago) were around $1200 and are very capable of just about anything. I don't use those resources for video editing, etc, but the horses are there. I'd much rather have them and not need. When you choose your Dell, think about video video video and lots and lots of RAM. You'll then be downtown...

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Several years ago, I got a Lenovo from Costco. After it wouldn't connect with ATT, I returned it and replaced with a Dell. My son in law got a Lenovo about the same time and has been pleased with it.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Several years ago, I got a Lenovo from Costco. After it wouldn't connect with ATT, I returned it and replaced with a Dell. My son in law got a Lenovo about the same time and has been pleased with it.
    Works great with Starlink. I live too far from town to get cable.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

Be advised Lenovo is owned by the chinese government indirectly. As long as you're ok with that I have no problems recommending them, but there is a reason they are not used in the finance and military subcontracting industries.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015

Depends on the MacBook. I have several and one of mine that was about 12 years old, the battery started to swell, so I ordered one. A small screwdrive set and a couple cold beers and I had it swapped out. The toughest part was the glue, but not a really big deal.

Most laptops become obsolete before the battery takes a crap, but I keep them around to use at events for customers to veiw thier photo proofs. At the events, I just have them plugged in so unless the battery swells up like the one I changed, I don't much care about battery condition.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Be advised Lenovo is owned by the chinese government indirectly. As long as you're ok with that I have no problems recommending them, but there is a reason they are not used in the finance and military subcontracting industries.
    Dell, a TX company, made my laptop in Vietnam, however I haven't noticed any punji sticks in the keyboard. :roflsmile:

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    As a PC guy from the DOS days I would say you probably can’t go wrong with a a Dell should you go in that direction.
    The hardware part of PC is awesome. The software (Windows) sucks and always has.
    A Mac or MacBook (pro) would be my recommendation.
    Regardless of choice, Brother laser printer/scanner highly recommended.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Having been a bleeding edge geek since the early 70's, but now in my days of Memory Lane turning into a rabbit trail, I find Alienware and Dell are my current go to choices.

Dell's support has always been top notch in my book, with periodic updates for my 8 year old laptop (Windows 10) still going strong.

That said, Windows 11 is a pox on humanity ... even the horse they rode in needs to be put out of it's misery!

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Having been a bleeding edge geek since the early 70's, but now in my days of Memory Lane turning into a rabbit trail, I find Alienware and Dell are my current go to choices.

Dell's support has always been top notch in my book, with periodic updates for my 8 year old laptop (Windows 10) still going strong.

That said, Windows 11 is a pox on humanity ... even the horse they rode in needs to be put out of it's misery!
    My longtime geek buds tell me MS stops supporting an OS like Windows 10 and issues a new one just to make sure the license holders are legit, or words to that effect. MS won't tell you that part but instead says it's for security. At one time all the other software out there you use had to change also with each MS update to be compatible. That meant you and me had to upgrade MS plus all those programs to use on it. Afterall, you didn't want to be "hacked" do you ? The word is Win 11 is kinda like the versions of others we came to hate, like XP, Vista (what a loser it was) and Windows 8. The only MS versions worth anything useful were Win 98 (I really loved that one) and Win7 that followed. Win 10 is usable, why mess it up.....

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    denisfang
    Top Bottom