• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    There’s a trick for installing Windows 11 on “unsupported” computers…
    I learned something today lol. Windows 11 has different versions... 2 of which are 11 Home and 11 Home S mode. Research revealed that the S version is Google specific, can only install G apps, etc. Right. No thanks.

Mostly I'm learning from y'all and I'm very appreciative for it. Thank you, everyone. :)

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon! FKH
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    I learned something today lol. Windows 11 has different versions... 2 of which are 11 Home and 11 Home S mode. Research revealed that the S version is Google specific, can only install G apps, etc. Right. No thanks.

Mostly I'm learning from y'all and I'm very appreciative for it. Thank you, everyone. :)
    S mode locks you into Microsoft Store apps only, including Edge for you web browser and Bing for your search engine. I doubt that there's a G mode.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    S mode locks you into Microsoft Store apps only, including Edge for you web browser and Bing for your search engine. I doubt that there's a G mode.
    Wow. Then what I read was either pure BS, or my comprehension needs major work. Thanks for the heads up.

Add: I went back and found what I'd read and you are absolutely right. Seems I'm so anti-google that's where my head went. Great. SMH.

Last edited:

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I'm a lot cheaper than these suggestions! For the email and general browsing I do, a $400 HP laptop from Walmart works great. The battery will have to be replaced in a year or so otherwise it's more than adequate.
    For your budget you could get two and still be ahead. Totally different deal if you "work" on it, get something more robust but for a bigger screen and keyboard than your phone, easily fits the bill. A 1tb external drive is likely more than you'll ever use and can be moved to your next PC.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I'm a lot cheaper than these suggestions! For the email and general browsing I do, a $400 HP laptop from Walmart works great. The battery will have to be replaced in a year or so otherwise it's more than adequate.
    For your budget you could get two and still be ahead. Totally different deal if you "work" on it, get something more robust but for a bigger screen and keyboard than your phone, easily fits the bill. A 1tb external drive is likely more than you'll ever use and can be moved to your next PC.
    Not a bad idea.
    I need to learn how external drives work.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I have bought that one before when I need a computer in a pinch. It was definitely not worth fixing when it started giving trouble though.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Checked online and Dell Laptop Deals has several models listed at $250- 550.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Probably true, and she did mention she prefers Android, so that familiarity may help, but I haven't used an Android or Chromebooks so I can't say for certain.

Look up GIMP - it may fill all your needs. Its like PhotoShop, but open source and thus free.

Top Bottom