• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    NEW YORK (March 13) -- In coffee shops -- and at least one bar -- people fed up with the Tea Party movement gathered Saturday to discuss issues and launch what they call the Coffee Party.

Inspired by a late February rant on the Facebook page of Annabel Park, the Coffee Party (not limited to coffee drinkers alone) declared March 13 National Coffee Party Day, and on the group's Web site invited individuals to organize in coffee shops across the country in hopes of eventually growing into an influential political movement.

Park -- a documentarian and former Obama volunteer -- said in a video on her Web site that she wants to "stop the shouting" and replace "obstructionism" with action.

"Their name is brilliant," said Ann Morris, "because it captures patriotism."

Morris, a psychologist, was one of the 20 people who gathered at the Bleecker Street Bar in Manhattan Saturday.

Coffee, Morris noted, became America's beverage of choice after the tax revolt that is now known as the Boston Tea Party.

Morris usually leaves the city every weekend for her upstate home. She chose to stay, rather than make her usual journey, because she is concerned the Tea Party movement is growing too influential. "[They] are not interested in discourse," she said. "They think different than we do."

The Bleecker Street Coffee Party meeting was originally scheduled to meet at the NoHo Star, an eatery that serves coffee. The gathering had to shift to a bar next door because the crowd was too large.

Organizer Amanda Martinez chose to hold the event near New York University in the hope of attracting young people. The Tea Party, she said is populated "by a lot of older people."

On that measure, Martinez was disappointed. Only a few of the attendees appeared to be under 50.

As the meeting began, Martinez read Coffee Party "ground rules," asking participants to "listen and respect everybody's opinion." Then, participants broke into groups of five or six to talk about the issues that concerned them most.

Anne Miller told her group that campaign finance reform is key. "To me," said Miller, "that's the most important issue. We've got to get money out of campaigns."

Bob Pargament, a hypnotist from Harrison, N.Y., drove more than 40 miles through heavy rain and wind to attend. He said he "is concerned about the shift to the right" and the "know-nothing mentality bent on shutting down and interrupting the debate needed in a democracy."

Citing what he sees as a growing anti-science movement across the country, Pargament said "it's time to start thinking like 21st century citizens."

Also among the participants was a gentleman who identified himself only as Tyler, an anthropologist who says he's been studying the Tea Party movement for months.

In group conversation, Tyler asked fellow members how they felt about taxes -- an issue at the heart of the Tea Party fervor. The others agreed taxes were important to them as well.

Lamar Bennett, a university researcher from Brooklyn, who describes himself as being from the left wing of the Democratic party, pointed out that "while everyone wants lower taxes, everyone wants services, too." Everyone in that group nodded their heads in agreement.

Jean Stevens, a writer also from Brooklyn, said she felt after the campaign of 2008 that too many Obama supporters sat back and waited for him "to do all the work." Stevens says she now realizes that she and others will need to do more if they want to see the change they voted for in the last presidential election.

Martinez said the gathering produced a wide spectrum of opinions. "Everything from no government to the government is the people," she said.

Martinez agreed with the sentiment that Obama supporters had grown complacent, but she remains hopeful.

"Things will happen," Martinez said. "Obama is staying behind the curtain and when the time is right he's going to mobilize his army and get it done."

"It was great," Stevens said as she got up to leave, calling the day inspiring and hopeful.

"People are concerned," she said. "They want to break the logjam."

But when asked if she might take the lead and organize a future Coffee Party gathering in Brooklyn, she said, "I don't know."
    Lynx Defense

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    "..Things will happen," Martinez said. "Obama is staying behind the curtain and when the time is right he's going to mobilize his army and get it done.".."

Kinda says it all, doesn't it.

Screw the tea, let's secede while we still have something left.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Anyone else find it ironic that a hypnotist is supporting this movement because he feels there is an anti-science movement in the Tea Party? LOL.

I don't see how you can misconstrue the Tea Party's ideology with anti-science. Science funding is the first to go, sure, but at this point nearly every program is going to get the hit.

TXchoctaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    This is what they need to get out of their little noggins..........."Lamar Bennett, a university researcher from Brooklyn, who describes himself as being from the left wing of the Democratic party, pointed out that "while everyone wants lower taxes, everyone wants services, too." Everyone in that group nodded their heads in agreement."

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    these people are ignorant and want to be oppressed and lead around by the government and told how to live with no control of their own lives, they need to leave the country and fine their own place, because with that kind of thinking they have they have no place here.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    "Morris usually leaves the city every weekend for her upstate home. She chose to stay, rather than make her usual journey, because she is concerned the Tea Party movement is growing too influential. "[They] are not interested in discourse," she said. "They think different than we do." "

And they think I'm paranoid . . . .

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Dude: He's talking about the modern definition, not the classic one. Modern liberalism isn't about thought and logic. It's about belief and feelings.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Dude: He's talking about the modern definition, not the classic one. Modern liberalism isn't about thought and logic. It's about belief and feelings.

There is absolutely nothing in his posts to indicate that and you know it.

Edit: Besides, that isn't the point. It's still ignorant, hateful speech.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There is absolutely nothing in his posts to indicate that and you know it.

Edit: Besides, that isn't the point. It's still ignorant, hateful speech.

There doesn't need to be anything in his posts to indicate it. You're the only one I know of that says liberal and means it by the older definition.

And having known a crapload of (modern-definition) liberals, I have to say that it's not ignorant. Hateful? Is it hateful if it's true? You're talking about people whose entire philosophy about life is completely devoid of reason.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I just have to ask, has anyone ever gone into a coffee shop and thought, "these are the kind of people that I want to hang around"? I don't mean everyone that goes into a coffee shop, just the types that live there. It always reminds me of the old poetry reading bars where everyone snaps their fingers in applause.

I also wonder what percent of the members of the Coffee Party drink their coffee black. I would venture a guess that their "coffee" has a lot more in common with gravy than real coffee.

From what I have seen of the Coffee Party, they really don't represent anything. They say they want change, but don't know what they want to change to. Aaron Tippin said it right, "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything."

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    And having known a crapload of (modern-definition) liberals, I have to say that it's not ignorant. Hateful? Is it hateful if it's true? You're talking about people whose entire philosophy about life is completely devoid of reason.

So let me get this straight - it's okay for someone to speak hatefully so long as you, a moderator, shamefully agrees with the hate speech? My argument on this isn't about classic or modern liberals per se, we've certainly beaten that dead horse. Let's say I just change the hateful word 'libtard' to another hateful word and see if you'd still be okay with the hate speech.

Niggers are void of any morals, just the same ol same from these turds.

Don't like niggers and consider them a pimple on the @ss of society, take it any way you want.

Would that have been okay? No? So why is some hateful speech okay and other hateful speech NOT?

Top Bottom