• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Making 4000+ pagers explode isn't careful targeting. Thats equivalent to a very large bomb or carpet bombing. And making people fearful of their portable electronics isn't "careful targeting" either. Last I heard at least 3 children were dead, people driving cars were maimed and killed causing their cars to continue uncontrolled, and for so many devices exploded and so few targets killed, that isn't even careful.

Not taking a side on either of these groups, but don't pretend making thousands of devices explode without warning or affiliation is a pretty easy "terrorism" claim.
    From a military targeting aspect, this was a beautifully planned and orchestrated precision attack on a terrorist cell (Hezbollah). This is about as far from an indiscriminate carpet bombing as you can get. Yes, there is a chance that familiar members of terrorists might be injured or killed. I am sure they had those numbers projected in the ops plan and those numbers were deemed acceptable by the signature authority.

I could see your point if Mossad heard Hezzbolah were getting Motorola 5000’s, and they booby trapped every Motorola 5000 pager, irregardless on whom got issued a pager. But in this case, they blew up terrorists pagers. I would not be surprised if Mossad started the whisper campaign that cell phones were unsafe and they should switch to pagers. Got the ball rolling for phase 2.

Later in my military career, I was involved in some similar operations against terrorists. This operation is going to be a high side case study for some special training classes in Northern Virginia. Not only did it result in some physical damage/death, but the real desired effect is the psychological damage that will haunt Hezbollah for decades.

gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    1726624369184.png

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    From a military targeting aspect, this was a beautifully planned and orchestrated precision attack on a terrorist cell (Hezbollah). This is about as far from an indiscriminate carpet bombing as you can get. Yes, there is a chance that familiar members of terrorists might be injured or killed. I am sure they had those numbers projected in the ops plan and those numbers were deemed acceptable by the signature authority.

I could see your point if Mossad heard Hezzbolah were getting Motorola 5000’s, and they booby trapped every Motorola 5000 pager, irregardless on whom got issued a pager. But in this case, they blew up terrorists pagers. I would not be surprised if Mossad started the whisper campaign that cell phones were unsafe and they should switch to pagers. Got the ball rolling for phase 2.

Later in my military career, I was involved in some similar operations against terrorists. This operation is going to be a high side case study for some special training classes in Northern Virginia. Not only did it result in some physical damage/death, but the real desired effect is the psychological damage that will haunt Hezbollah for decades.
    Mossad did not have to start whispers. The terrorists had already realized their communications devices were giving away their locations.

WSJ article detailed how they have moved to couriers.

Hamas’s top leader Yahya Sinwar could well be dead today if not for a low-tech communications system honed in prison that shields him from Israel’s intelligence-gathering dragnet.

Sinwar has largely shunned phone calls, text messages and other electronic communications that Israel can track and that have led to the demise of other militants. Instead, he is using a complex system of couriers, codes and handwritten notes that allows him to direct Hamas’s operations even while hiding in underground tunnels, according to Arab cease-fire mediators.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Hezbollah pager operation casualty update:
    - 4,000 Hezbollah Terrorists injured.
    - 400 in critical condition.
    - 18 High-Ranking commanders injured.
    - 500 plus lost their eyesight
    - 11 Hezbollah Terrorists dead.

This is going to set Hez'ah (no more balls) by years, permanently crippling - literally and figuratively - the paramilitary political group. I don't expect Israel will get many more attacks from the north any time soon!

Eli

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex

Now that I've slept on it, I still think it falls into that grey area but way further away from the terrorism category. Mostly because the overall story isn't making a lot of sense to me, but also it wasn't wanton "terrorism". Last I saw the story is a few Hungarians were asked to make several thousand explosive pagers, these pagers were bought by mossad, then somehow distributed only to hezbolla members, then detonated.

Thats where it gets cloudy for me; did someone from mossad show up with a 'gift' of 5000 pagers after spreading the lie that pagers are more secure for communications, and hezbolo just accepted them? Thats certainly a super coordinated hyper specific consumer of the bombs pagers. How long has this plan been going on?

Then again we've heard about glock switches only making their way into the wrong hands, and allegedly the CIA introduced crack cocaine to certain people too.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Now that I've slept on it, I still think it falls into that grey area but way further away from the terrorism category. Mostly because the overall story isn't making a lot of sense to me, but also it wasn't wanton "terrorism". Last I saw the story is a few Hungarians were asked to make several thousand explosive pagers, these pagers were bought by mossad, then somehow distributed only to hezbolla members, then detonated.

Thats where it gets cloudy for me; did someone from mossad show up with a 'gift' of 5000 pagers after spreading the lie that pagers are more secure for communications, and hezbolo just accepted them? Thats certainly a super coordinated hyper specific consumer of the bombs pagers. How long has this plan been going on?

Then again we've heard about glock switches only making their way into the wrong hands, and allegedly the CIA introduced crack cocaine to certain people too.

Hezbollah looked to acquire enough pagers to distribute to their members so cellphones wouldn't be needed - pagers don't transmit and are harder to track. Mossad got wind of this buy, and managed to substitute their 'special' pagers for the bulk buy the terrorists were making. Then it was just a matter of waiting for the pagers to be widely distributed throughout Hezbollah's membership.

There's no gray area at all. The pagers were only distributed by Hezbollah to their members. They weren't on store shelves, or being used by anyone's grandmother, or anything like that. 100% of them were in the possession of members of a terrorist organization that is actively attacking Israel nightly with indiscriminate rocket attacks. And now a large number of those terrorists no longer have fingers to push the launch button with.

cannot push a button.gif

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston

Supposedly: the pagers were ordered via an Iranian firm, who contracted them out to a firm in Hong Kong or Taiwan (I don't remember), who did the design work but subcontracted the production to a Hungarian company - I guess nobody realized that Hungary hates muslims and pretty much anybody that isn't Hungarian - it's the only country left in Europe that Judaism is still #2 behind Christianity - so, at some point, a payload of less than 20 grams of PETN was placed in the devices.
    You also need to keep in mind that most of these islamic militant types have IQs around 70, they're not exactly deep thinkers.

Eli

Top Bottom