Target Sports

(Original) San Antonio Gun Show (10-11 Dec 2011)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Ranger

TexasKaren might be a bit grumpy this morning, she was rooting for Army yesterday and Navy won it for the tenth time in a row...

Cheers! M2
    Target Sports

TexasKaren68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Cibolo
    First, enjoyed seeing soldiernurse, majormadmax and son, TexasKaren, Skip and better half (hope I got that right) at breakfast, but being an out of towner (Taylor), really had to catch up with some old friends I do not see often.

Second, I would like to second majormadmax's comments above regarding the show, I enjoyed it though I hardly bought anything, just enjoy wandering, talking. meeting folks.

Karen, did the shoot happen?

Yes, it was just a bit drizzly at first, but then the rain started falling pretty steadily so we didn't do a lot of what had been planned. Oh well, I got to shoot a pretty cool rifle, so it was worth it. Julianna wasn't there though, so I couldn't pass along your hello.

Ranger

TexasKaren might be a bit grumpy this morning, she was rooting for Army yesterday and Navy won it for the tenth time in a row...

Cheers! M2

Just wait 'til next year! :banghead:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, we met up w/Kyle at the show....lawd, the boy will suck up to the wives faster'n a cheap vacuum - so don't count on the boy ta help ya outta a tight spot!<G> We didn't hook up 'til we were about 3/4 of the way through the show (guess it took him a while longer ta git purty than it did Schoolmarm), so he didn't git a chance ta do TOO much damage!

Good to meet ya Kyle - ah'll holler next time ah'm up in Kerrville!!!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    yo, M2:

Only time I've missed a show in Bexar County in the last thirteen years was because I had to either go to a wedding or a funeral.

Been to them all: Broadway, Freeman Coliseum, Live Oak, Alzafar Shrine, Event Center @ 410 & Marbach, and a few other places too.

Never said the promoter set gun prices. I said: "Those Fort Worth and Dallas boys are mighty proud of their gun and ammo prices." Maybe I should have said: "Those Forth Worth and Dallas boys are mighty proud of their gun and ammo prices." I can go to any brick and mortar store here in SA and match their prices.

You'll find other comments about prices and pi$$ poor service on this thread too.

No one beats AJC's prices, and I haven't seen him at this show yet.

The Freeman Grounds belong to Bexar County, not the City.

Does we = ME?

Darn, this is fun getting you all riled up on matters not worth squat.

Be well.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    yo, M2:

Only time I've missed a show in Bexar County in the last thirteen years was because I had to either go to a wedding or a funeral.

Been to them all: Broadway, Freeman Coliseum, Live Oak, Alzafar Shrine, Event Center @ 410 & Marbach, and a few other places too.

Never said the promoter set gun prices. I said: "Those Fort Worth and Dallas boys are mighty proud of their gun and ammo prices." Maybe I should have said: "Those Forth Worth and Dallas boys are mighty proud of their gun and ammo prices." I can go to any brick and mortar store here in SA and match their prices.

You'll find other comments about prices and pi$$ poor service on this thread too.

No one beats AJC's prices, and I haven't seen him at this show yet.

The Freeman Grounds belong to Bexar County, not the City.

Does we = ME?

Darn, this is fun getting you all riled up on matters not worth squat.

Be well.

who's AJC? I thought the show had some really good prices when I was looking for an M&P45, $100 cheaper than Powderhorn or Durys or Nagels or Academy. If there's a gun store cheaper than the shows near San Antone let me know which one. I'm new around here and don't know about every single place.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Of course - there's Marines on the Navy team. Why wouldn't they win every time? To expect different is just plain insanity.

Just wait 'til next year! :banghead:
    Why? Are y'all gonna run the halftime show or something?

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Well, we met up w/Kyle at the show....lawd, the boy will suck up to the wives faster'n a cheap vacuum - so don't count on the boy ta help ya outta a tight spot!<G> We didn't hook up 'til we were about 3/4 of the way through the show (guess it took him a while longer ta git purty than it did Schoolmarm), so he didn't git a chance ta do TOO much damage!

Good to meet ya Kyle - ah'll holler next time ah'm up in Kerrville!!!

Hey now... haha, gotta Keep the ladies happy, seems to make life that much easier... And as fars as gettin purty goes.. I Just can't risk lookin too bad and missin out on a nice girl, they don't come around too often! It was a pleasure meeting yall though and thanks for the Coke! :patriot:

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Most gun show prices are higher than they should be but you are expected to haggle. The other 20 percent are generally good/solid bargains. Bought the missus a NIB Taurus 850 in stainless for $239 plus tax. Also bought ammo from a reloader from the panhandle at real good prices; some .38 and .357. Not everything at any show is a good price but you can find more bargains at a gun show generally than a local gun store. I saw a 10mm Tanfoglio (used) that I regret not getting. I need a 10mm... bad. I also need a 9mm because I sold my last one and a bunch of ammo. I did think this Freeman gun show was a bit bigger than the SAXET and perhaps had more stuff. The BEST dealer in handguns goes only to the SAXET show... that is AJS who always has dandy prices and is willing to haggle.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I don't deny there are many overpriced firearms at gun shows, but there are also a fair amount of deals to be had if you: 1) know what you are looking for/at and 2) haggle. I bought a Romanian SAR-1 that was marked ridiculously high, which I am sure put off a lot of potential buyers; but I engaged the seller in conversation for a while and we wheeled and dealed until it came down to the flip of a coin for the last fifty bucks on the price.

And I was surprised that Alan of AJC was not at this show, you would consider that due to its size he'd have his usual section of tables. He is one of the best dealers out there for new firearms, I've bought numerous pistols and rifles from him and recommend him highly! A few years back when I was looking for a particular Springfield 1911 that was being annoyingly elusive, I gave AJC a call and a few days later they had found one for me! I asked that they bring it to the next gun show and they actually had a second one on display that was priced higher than what I was quoted. I was a little concerned but when I talked with Alan he sold it for the price quoted. I actually ended up buying a second different model Springfield 1911 from him on the spot! As I've said before, I try to take care of businesses that take care of their customers!

But to be honest, for the things I was looking for this past weekend's show was a little disappointing for me. There seemed to be a noticeable decrease in AK parts and accessories. The few dealers I know were mentioning they saw the same as well. Of course, I had a good day at the SAXET show the weekend prior, finding a SKS-M thumbhole stock that I had been looking for as well as a decent deal on a Russian Izhevsk AK bayonet.

Still, my son and I had a good time at breakfast (thanks again, SoldierNurse!) and we always enjoy walking around the show. It seemed to be a pretty good crowd and as I said, the Premier Guns folks were happy with the turnout. I am already looking at their 2012 schedule to see which shows I can make, with my work travel I will be happy if I can make half of them.

Cheers! M2

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    FYI: I think there is a show up in Fredericksburg this weekend if anyone has any late Xmas shopping yet to be done. I saw an ad in the Penny Saver and don't have any details.

Top Bottom