Gun Zone Deals

(Original) San Antonio Gun Show (10-11 Dec 2011)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Had a good breakfast, met some nice folks, enjoyed the Gun Show. I bought a Kel Tec PF-9 ($280 total). Just finished shooting at my favorite Range. Very pleased with my PF-9.

jodster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    A huge selection and parking wasn't too bad. I was gonna buy a wasr from bachmann surplus?(some dallas company) but when i went up to do some paperwork, they told me i had to be 21....due to the wasr having a pistol grip. I was so confused when he was talking to me about it. I guess its their policy...still dumb though . But the other tables carrying wasr's price matched them and gladly sold it to me.

Haven't gotten to shoot my wasr yet, but it seems solid. No wobble, canted sites/gasblock, or scratches in the mag well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A huge selection and parking wasn't too bad. I was gonna buy a wasr from bachmann surplus?(some dallas company) but when i went up to do some paperwork, they told me i had to be 21....due to the wasr having a pistol grip. I was so confused when he was talking to me about it. I guess its their policy...still dumb though . But the other tables carrying wasr's price matched them and gladly sold it to me.

Haven't gotten to shoot my wasr yet, but it seems solid. No wobble, canted sites/gasblock, or scratches in the mag well.

Huh? A WASR-10 is a rifle, the pistol grip has nothing to do with that classification. I heard other stories about Bachmann's that have me questioning their customer service.

But being a connoisseur of AKs I can attest that the WASR can be an excellent entry-level firearm, especially if you can inspect it before buying. I have a 10/63 that is a great shooter...

We didn't pick anything up at today's show, there really wasn't anything for AKs that I was looking for. One vendor I know had an interesting handmade stock, but it didn't really appeal to me enough to buy it. I am currently trying to meet up with someone locally who has a POSP scope that would work on a few of my AKs, so I wasn't too worried about not dropping too much cash at the show.

Oh, and in our discussion with the promoters we were told that approximately 10,000 people a day have been attending these local shows! They are very pleased with the attendance, and are still looking to expand the venue sometime next year if possible!

Cheers! M2
    p.s. And I'll second Skip's gratitude toward SoldierNurse for buying breakfast this morning!

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Good stuff. I might go tommrow but am a little tight on $. I have a hard time going to the shows and not buying something. Tough decession.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Aw shucks, I might as well chime in too.

Those Fort Worth and Dallas boys are mighty proud of their gun and ammo prices.

The number of gun tables is almost underwhelming, when you cut the gun tables from the hunting/surplus/survivalist/minerals/book/massage/whatever tables. I wish the promoter could fix the lighting.

Sometimes it was like looking at a gun or accessory with sunglasses on.

Anyhow, parking and admission was cheaper than a movie, and I saved a ton of money because I did not buy anything from these over-priced merchants.

Be well.

TexasKaren68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Cibolo
    I had a good time, even though I didn't stay too long. Breakfast was good too, and the price was right (Thanks, Soldiernurse). I agree with the comments about Bachmann's. I stood at one of their tables for at least five minutes looking at Springfield's and not one of the three people behind the tables asked me if I wanted help with anything. Even when I asked one of the guys for a business card, he handed me a card and went right back to talking with one of the other people behind the tables. There must have been at least 10 people in front of their tables, all looking at stuff, and not one person working there seemed to care.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Aw shucks, I might as well chime in too.

Those Fort Worth and Dallas boys are mighty proud of their gun and ammo prices.

First, the promoter of the show doesn't set the prices, the vendors that buy tables do. The prices at this show were no worse than any other, and were still better than most of the brick and mortar stores in the area. Lastly, the vendors at this show were from all over Texas and beyond, so I don't see how you can attribute their prices to "those Fort Worth and Dallas boys."

The number of gun tables is almost underwhelming, when you cut the gun tables from the hunting/surplus/survivalist/minerals/book/massage/whatever tables.

Again, do you go to shows much? The ratio of gun/non-gun vendors is as good if not better at this show than it is at any other show in San Antonio. I personally think this event does the best in minimizing the number of non-gun tables which is commendable considering the large venue they have to fill.

I wish the promoter could fix the lighting. Sometimes it was like looking at a gun or accessory with sunglasses on.

The promoter has little control over lighting, temperature, parking and other aspects because it is a city-owned and operated facility. I know Premier Guns has tried to get things changed in the past with little success. It is a matter of this being the best location for them to hold such a large show, and their goal is to bring in as many gun vendors as possible to maximize the experience for attendees.

Anyhow, parking and admission was cheaper than a movie, and I saved a ton of money because I did not buy anything from these over-priced merchants.

Well, to each his own; but we have always found this to be the best gun show in the San Antonio area. I guess it helps to have realistic expectations when going to one of these events. Remember it is a juggling act for the promoter, trying to make both the show attendees and the vendors that participate happy with the event. Trust me, that is not an easy thing to do and so far Premier Guns has managed to do so. They also have to pay their employees and make a profit (it is a business, y'know), so it's not an endeavor taking lightly.

But not only have they been able to put on a successful show, they are trying to expand it into the facility adjacent to the Expo Hall. You have to appreciate their efforts to make it bigger and better. We are the ones that will benefit the most from this, as considering this economy most businesses are barely able to maintain normal operations much less expand; and this will only serve to help the community as a whole in the area. If you think the only priority is getting the lowest price possible on an item, then you are losing the bigger picture. I for one am willing to pay a little more for something if it helps keep local gun shows and businesses around versus saving a few bucks by buying online and then later wondering why there are no more gun shows or shops because they didn't get my business!

Cheers! M2

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    First, enjoyed seeing soldiernurse, majormadmax and son, TexasKaren, Skip and better half (hope I got that right) at breakfast, but being an out of towner (Taylor), really had to catch up with some old friends I do not see often.

Second, I would like to second majormadmax's comments above regarding the show, I enjoyed it though I hardly bought anything, just enjoy wandering, talking. meeting folks.

Karen, did the shoot happen?

Top Bottom