• Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Agree with all points here.

You really can't go wrong with either truck. Unless one is extremely brand loyal, it really just comes down to aesthetics, interior space, options, etc. And most likely, it will come down to which you can find the best deal on.

Agreed. All three make a decent truck and all three will do what a normal person expect out of a truck.
    Texas SOT

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Dodge and Ford in the Laramie/King Ranch trims are about the same money in a 1 or 2 year old truck, so price isn't a factor.

From the discussion thus far, I have pulled the following points:

1. Engine (Ford): Ford's 6.4 Diesel sucks; get the large one or nothing.
    2. Engine (Dodge): Dodge's big Diesel may be either the most powerful engine on the face of the planet or the biggest dog ever
    3. Interest: This reads like a usual "best carry gun" thread, with Dodge/.45, Ford/9mm, and Chevy the unloved .40

4. Quality: Ford fit and finish is better than Dodge (agreed): Advantage: Ford
    5. Turn Radius: Advantage: Dodge
    6. Transmission: Advantage (anyone but Dodge)
    7: Milage: feet (everything pretty much sucks; not a factor)

To clarify from my initial post: I am looking for another 300k+ truck. Intend to haul a car-carrier sized dual axle trailer across the country, and (if SWMBO approves) a fifth-wheel toybox-equipped RV trailer, probably in the 30-odd foot range. From shooting range to shooting range

And another question to throw in the "what is best in life" pot...what mods to what truck work best in the real world, and not just in the Diesel Truck magazines? Looking for milage, not horsepower/torque as a general rule. Ripping out the particulate collectors and making little AlGore cry, not a problem :ohnoes:

Alex

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I guess to sum it up, I would get the F250 hands down, unless you get a killer deal on a Cummins.

That right there. Ford's build quality is just so much better.

I realize we're talking smaller trucks here, but I've helped a friend use his F150 to do a bunch of work, including putting a few truck loads of gravel for landscaping, and we had them fill that bed (full bed) to the point it was ready to overflow. The Ford never blinked.

Had to run down to Corpus with a Dodge 1500 and help someone I worked with repo a minivan from her deadbeat mom. Used a tow dolly, and that Dodge could barely cut it. I guarantee the F150 would have been cruise control on at 70 the whole way back, 70 would have been pushing the Dodge too hard.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    You can still find low-mileage 7.3 Power Strokes for about $10-15k. They're easily a 300kmi truck. If you're OK buying something that old, I'd be all over a 7.3 Ford. They're also pre-DPF, easier to work on for maintenance and upgrades, and infinitely more reliably than the 6.0, 6.4, and even the new 6.7.

If you want an awesome turn radius, get the F350 DRW with the Wide-Trac front axle. It turns like a Camry.

If you ever plan on hauling a toyhauler, I'd recommend a DRW. The SRW trucks just aren't suited for the kind of loads that most toyhaulers realistically weigh. Most people are not-so-pleasantly surprised when they put their truck/trailer on the scale and find out they're WELL over the 26klb class C limit, and on a SRW truck!!!

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Get a smarty programmer and some sort of fuel water separator. I use an air dog 165 it will support up to 750hp. While filtering your fuel and bypassing the often faulty lift pump found on Dodge diesels.

Top Bottom