• ...and so much more!
  • wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Debating on a 2012 or 2011 truck to replace my 2003 Dodge 1500 Laramie. After 240k it is starting to exhibit some...wear...in major components.

I like the Dodge short bed/four door configuration; short turn radius (compared to the QE2, especially) and the Hemi is a decent engine. This time, due to some trailer hauling I see in my future, I'd like to step up to at least a 3/4 ton and a 4x4 in the Diesel engine type truck.

Because I'm married and want to stay that way, the other non-negotiable option is dual climate control.

So...

On one hand, the Dodge 2500 short bed four door Laramie 4x4 with the big Diesel.

On the other hand, the Ford F250 short bed four door King Ranch super duty 4x4 with their big Diesel.

The Ford has a much bigger back seat and is a bit more plush. The Dodge has a little better handling, in my opinion, but not that much better.

I'm not particularly brand-sensitive, and since I'm buying used the Government Motors thing doesn't bother me one way or another.

That said...opinions on one, another, or something comparable that I didn't mention?

Alex
    Target Sports

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Have you considered a Duramax?

How much are you towing? The EcoBoost F150 is rated to haul 11,300lbs, gets 20mpg otherwise, and is cheaper to own and maintain than a diesel.

I've had three Power Strokes, and a whole slew of GM 2500s with either the Duramax or 8100 Vortec. My current diesel is a GMC 2500 Duramax. The Dodge and the Ford both ride better (GM is kidding themselves when they claim the torsion bar front suspension rides better than the coils on the other Ford/Dodge), but I think the GM is built better. The Fords have the nicest interiors. The only plus with the Dodge is the cheap price. In my experience, they have poor fit/finish and use cheap materials.

My ideal truck would be a GM frame with a straight front axle and a Ford cab, and a Duramax/Allison.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I guess to sum it up, I would get the F250 hands down, unless you get a killer deal on a Cummins.

tmann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2012
    North Texas
    It all depends on what you are hauling and how often you will be hauling. You do the right things to any diesel motor and you can get in the low to mid 20's on MPG's. I have an 03' dodge 2500 and driving around fort worth I get around 22 MPG and out on the highway I can get up to 25. It really depends on how you drive it. If you want an automatic transmission I would go with Ford, because dodge automatics arent that great, but a dodge with a standard tranny will outpull and get better MPG's as long as your keep your foot outta the petal.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    You must be the guy that does 60mph on the highway, if you're getting 25mpg...

The Cummins is completely outclassed and underpowered.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Sierra/Allison mated with a Cummins with a solid axle under it all would be awesome.

I just sold my 03Cummins with 127k on it. It pulled everything I wanted. But I agree the newer cummins doesnt compare to the competitors.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I love my F150 to death. However, my buddies '12 Ram 2500 is freaking awesome.

My vote: Ram 2500. If you get a gasser though, Ford all the way.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Gas truck, I'll stick with the Hemi or consider a real "made in America" truck like...the Tundra

My evil partner's '07 2500 Diesel runs 25-26 mpg, but he has fixed much of the AlGore crap and reprogrammed it accordingly. His driving record indicates a tendency to disregard the Karter-era fixation on speed limits, too

Alex

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would go Ford all the way. That being said, only get the newer 6.7l diesel. Avoid the older diesels at all costs (6.0 and 6.4). I don't want you to get a good deal on one of them. They go for cheap for a reason.

The F150 with Ecoboost would be the way to go if you don't plan on towing daily.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I replaced a Sierra 2500/8.1/Allison/CC/2WD with an F250 deisel 4x4 CC
    I pulled a 10K trailer loaded with race car and race weekend gear.

The Ford had more torque, but the Sierra handled the load a LOT better.
    The Ford takes 73.5 acres of land to turn around while the Sierra was a Vette in compariason.

Bone stock and the way I drive, the deisel gets no better fuel economy than the 8.1
    The Ford is much more roomy and comfortable to drive and to ride.

If I could turn back the clock ... I'd still be in the Sierra.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My BIL has the King Ranch F250. Awesome machine, and a great looking truck too. We both love it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I would go Ford all the way. That being said, only get the newer 6.7l diesel. Avoid the older diesels at all costs (6.0 and 6.4). I don't want you to get a good deal on one of them. They go for cheap for a reason.

The F150 with Ecoboost would be the way to go if you don't plan on towing daily.

Good advice here. Either get a 2007 model, or get a new one.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Or get a 99 with a 7.3 and not have a POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2012
    North Texas
    You must be the guy that does 60mph on the highway, if you're getting 25mpg...

The Cummins is completely outclassed and underpowered.

Actually I have quite the lead food. I usually drive 75-80 and there are some people are here that can confirm that. Its all about knowing how to take care of your truck and knowing what to do to keep the MPG's. Programming it helps the computer more that just turning the HP and Torque up.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    You may have the lead foot and faster programmed truck but without the balls to use it, and you remember the night I'm talking about dont ya you'll never beat the trucker with balls and a lead foot just sayen Tmann lol!

Top Bottom