• ...and so much more!
  • Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    We have brand new Duramax 1 ton flatbed crew cabs. My stock 05 2500 Dodge out pulls them on the regular with my outclassed underpowered Cummins. Powerjokes spend more time in the shop, and we recently replaced a lift pump on one of the Duramaxes tore half the engine Dow to do it. Lift pump on my Dodge much easier to access ask Winchster.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Of course, it was inevitable for this thread to spiral into the diesel pissing match.

I wonder why it's always the Cummins boys that feel the need to thump their chest?

tmann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Of course, it was inevitable for this thread to spiral into the diesel pissing match.

I wonder why it's always the Cummins boys that feel the need to thump their chest?

Its not a pissing match. Some of us drive a diesel day in and day out, therefore we have our opinions on which are better. the man asked a question and we answered it. People that have worked on these trucks, myself included, have prob worked on dodge, chevy and fords so we know which ones are easier to work on and get best performance out of.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The only diesels I feel are worth a crap are the ten year old fords I mentioned earlier.

I drive a 1ton 08 Chevy every day. It and every other one in the company I work for are in the shop a lot. We also have a bunch of 08 fords, these too are all huge pieces of shit. Constant DPF problems from both makes, neither seem to have the power of the old power strokes. Oncor went through all of this and now runs dodge, they seem to be holdin up very well but Oncor doesn't run their trucks near as hard as we run ours. Lots of idle time though. They also maintain the piss out of them.

Ours get maintenance but we run them a lot, summer is usually 7 days a week and at least 12 hrs a day with a 14" dump trailer at all times and a flat bed loaded with tools, trailer is usually loaded beyond max during the summer. We are not easy on them.

We have a couple of the new fords. Take of has a huge lag time between hitting the gas and getting the truck to move. Pulls ok after you get going but I'm not really impressed. One had to have a lot of work done because the driver added water instead of antifreeze and it wore a whole from the water pump into the crank case. Water and oil became one, not good.

Seems like a pretty weak motor to me but I'm a Dan of cast iron, I think all these new motors are pussified.

Feel mileage in the fords and Chevys is 10mpg with no trailer, 7-8 with trailer.

If I were gonna buy a new diesel I would probably get a dodge, if I could have exactly what I wanted it would probably be a ford with a cummins diesel and Allison transmission.

That's my thought out entry in the pissing match, hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Speaking of PITA Duramax and prime pumps... this happened to mine yesterday:

uploadfromtaptalk1351717966039.jpg

Lol

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    If I was buying a new truck today, I wouldn't buy one. I'd wait to see how the new body style GMs turn out.

What I hate about each:
    GM-small ass cab, independent front suspension and thin ass sheetmetal
    Ford-shitty motor even the new 6.7, horrible mileage
    Dodge-shitty trans, crappy build material

This coming from an 06 dmax owner. The man who said the 7.3 fords would out pull the new diesels is simply wrong. My dad has an 02 7.3 which is a badass motor and has only had a crank sensor replaced in 240k but to say it'll out pull the new trucks is just wrong. My dmax had an exhaust and tow efilive tune to his intake and superchips programmer, I always got 2-4mpg better than him and much more power along with the 6 speed trans versus his 4 speed.

Nobody makes a perfect truck at the moment in my opinion.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I think the guy said his 5.9 Cummins would outpull anything.

Anyway the guys that brag about "oupulling" typically have little to no miles with a substantial trailer behind them. All they talk about is rolling coal and lining up at the traffic lights. My stock '11 Duramax with 13klbs trailer will get up to highway speed in half the time and distance than my friend's stock '09 Cummins with the same exact trailer.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Never said it would out pull anything just the new Chevys at my work. We pull plenty of trailers with those trucks and car hauler and job trailers. I've pulled plenty of our trailers with my personal truck as well plenty of oomph. Can say I'd love one of those exhaust brakes on my rig. Also drive truck for them as well and Mack's engines can't pull a hill to save their life give me a Cummins in anything lol.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Plain and simply put, the Dodge with the Cummins is the best running truck out there, and I am a dedicated Ford man.

Drive down the Interstate and see what the professionals are using. About 85% of the HotShotters are using a Dodge. I am talking about guys that run 20- 40k lbs for 100k miles a year. Professionals. These guys go for reliability first and fuel mileage second. These guys don't use hardly any upgrades. They just run bare stock trucks and run the hell out of them. Their business is built around their truck.

You can say whatever you want about how great your truck pulls your boat to the lake or your camper on vacation. More power to you and I hope it serves you well. But don't even try to compare that to doing it for a living.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Consider an '04-'05 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 with the 5.9L Cummings diesel.

Best combination of power, torque, and fuel economy in the last 20 or future 20 years.

Might have to replace some front-end suspension/steering components, or a tranny, but that is a small price to pay for an engine built to last until the end of time.

Have not changed the oil in mine for five years, but it runs fine.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    You can say whatever you want about how great your truck pulls your boat to the lake or your camper on vacation. More power to you and I hope it serves you well. But don't even try to compare that to doing it for a living.

Do YOU do it for a living? If not, then what is your qualification to determine which is the most reliable truck? Because you see more Dodges on the road? I hope I don't have to remind you that the Dodge is easily the cheapest of the big three.

My dad's company has numerous diesel light duty trucks and the Duramax pulls the best out of all of them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That being said, Dodge make the crappiest vehicle. All around quality of their trucks is the worst. Period.

Ford makes the best truck. Period. They had the worst diesel engines from 2003 until 2010. Period. The new diesel has had some growing pains and really has yet to prove itself. Only time will tell but I have been impressed so far.

Chevy is the middle ground in both catagories. Decent truck with a decent drivetrain. Underrated axles keep it from doing too much professional duty.

All that being said, if I was buying a personal truck today it would be a Ford F250/350 SRW. If I was going to HotShot again it would be a Dodge 4500.

The mileage is comparable with all three. That has way more to do with your gear ratio, driving style, and upgrades. And that computer on your dash telling you your mileage is lying to you.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    That being said, Dodge make the crappiest vehicle. All around quality of their trucks is the worst. Period.

Ford makes the best truck. Period. They had the worst diesel engines from 2003 until 2010. Period. The new diesel has had some growing pains and really has yet to prove itself. Only time will tell but I have been impressed so far.

Chevy is the middle ground in both catagories. Decent truck with a decent drivetrain. Underrated axles keep it from doing too much professional duty.

All that being said, if I was buying a personal truck today it would be a Ford F250/350 SRW. If I was going to HotShot again it would be a Dodge 4500.

The mileage is comparable with all three. That has way more to do with your gear ratio, driving style, and upgrades. And that computer on your dash telling you your mileage is lying to you.

Agree with all points here.

You really can't go wrong with either truck. Unless one is extremely brand loyal, it really just comes down to aesthetics, interior space, options, etc. And most likely, it will come down to which you can find the best deal on.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    okay, getting back on topic. I think to give you the best advice, we would need to know what you plan on towing and how heavy its going to be. And how often, also where too, around texas or are you headed up north into the mountains.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Do YOU do it for a living? If not, then what is your qualification to determine which is the most reliable truck? Because you see more Dodges on the road? I hope I don't have to remind you that the Dodge is easily the cheapest of the big three.

My dad's company has numerous diesel light duty trucks and the Duramax pulls the best out of all of them.
    Yes I did actually. I have the USDOT/ MC numbers and IFTA license to prove it.

I don't care about your dad's company. And I never said a Duramax can't pull. The question is does your dad's company pull 20-40k lbs for 100k miles a year?

Do you really think the professionals that base their living on a truck care about saving a couple thousand dollars on a truck that they are going to run for 500k miles?

Top Bottom