• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slammer13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2023
    Round Rock
    So what will it do with good ammo, like Hornady, Winchester, or Federal?
    There is an old saying: "Junk in, junk out".

Then there is also this, before I bought a case of 7.62x39 for my latest AR build, I watched two different reviews on it.
    First was a test by an AK owner, who had a negative review about how inaccurate it was, the second review was by an AR owner who said it was quite accurate.
    So, don't expect sub-minute groups out of an AK.
    Agree; broke the bank on this AK, 2 kids still in college, had to settle for Tula ever since, no issues, AKs should run cheap anyway; as I say I have no illusions about my marksmanship. Now for darts, that's another story :-)

brix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    San Antonio
    I think they are decent but cheaply made. For AKs I would probably go elsewhere if you want something other than a range rifle

Our resident PSA expert and fanboi is @TreyG-20 He has an extensive PSA collection and loves their AKs. You should ask him
    I would hole heartily agree with this statement...... .. 10 years ago. Since then PSA has kept on trucking, where others have come and gone they have gotten bigger and better.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    I acquired a GF3 in trade and am happy with it. I have a couple of their ar15 uppers and am equally content with them. I've been jonesing for one of their daggers but only if it was in .40 S&W. In hindsight, as I typed that thought out I realized some may question my judgement outright for being a .40 fan. :shades:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Last edited:

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    My PSA AR's will run any ammo that I stick in them...except one. I built a retro 20 inch AR and it refuses to run steel case ammo. I didn't have a lot of it and I shot it in my other rifles.

BigRed

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I cannot tell you how many of these things friends and family have. Great basic rifles that will do what most need for home defense and such.

I know MANY folks who have helped them fulfill their mission statement!

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I acquired a GF3 in trade and am happy with it. I have a couple of their ar15 uppers and am equally content with them. I've been jonesing for one of their daggers but only if it was in .40 S&W. In hindsight, as I typed that thought out I realized some may question my judgement outright for being a .40 fan. :shades:
    40>9
    40<45
    It has it's place the problem isn't so much the cartridge as it is the shooters who dislike it most will say it's recoil is snappy. WTF is snappy?

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    40>9
    40<45
    It has it's place the problem isn't so much the cartridge as it is the shooters who dislike it most will say it's recoil is snappy. WTF is snappy?
    My spideysense says this thread is about to go sideways....

40S&W is a compromise caliber. It is a product of its time and that time is over. My only use for .40 now is cheaper plinking ammo for my 10mm.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I built a couple for my kids. They work fine. I built one for me too. Shoots well. Rarely spits the bit.

If I needed an AR for work / duty, I would definitely buy something more expensive. But for the average Joe who shoots his AR a couple times a year, PSA is awesome and affordable.

ETA - the trigger in their parts kit is awful. Like you could almost feel it grinding. I watched a video, bought some 1200 grit sandpaper, and that smoothed it out really well.

Last edited:

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    psa in the early years had lots of problems, but nowdays they are pretty fine. all you need for ARs though is honestly a good bolt, trigger, and barrel, everything else is kinda secondary. their aks have also improved greatly and their warranty is pretty good.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    They have a habit of missing the small stuff. Unstaked castle nuts, unstaked gas keys... Easy stuff to fix.

At one point they were grinding FSB's smooth, those looked like crap, but they stopped doing that awhile back.

Psa is better than bushmaster or dpms ever were
    pre cerberus group bushmaster was pretty solid but that was eons ago.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    My spideysense says this thread is about to go sideways....

40S&W is a compromise caliber. It is a product of its time and that time is over. My only use for .40 now is cheaper plinking ammo for my 10mm.
    We all have opinions that's why we are on the internet. Ford - Chevy
    High point- Glock

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    pre cerberus group bushmaster was pretty solid but that was eons ago.
    I gotta agree. The original bushmaster was the equal of colt back in the day.

You get a premium psa toolcraft bolt carrier and a CHF Barrel and assemble it properly and you have a premium AR just as good as any of the brand snob ARs. A tool craft bcg makes any psa ar pretty damn good. You would have paid over a grand for similar quality not too long ago and can get it now under 400 bucks.

They aren't just parts assemblers. Most of them have been run out of buisness long ago.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I gotta agree. The original bushmaster was the equal of colt back in the day.

You get a premium psa toolcraft bolt carrier and a CHF Barrel and assemble it properly and you have a premium AR just as good as any of the brand snob ARs. A tool craft bcg makes any psa ar pretty damn good. You would have paid over a grand for similar quality not too long ago and can get it now under 400 bucks.

They aren't just parts assemblers. Most of them have been run out of buisness long ago.

I don't think i agree. Older colts, for all the stupid stuff they did, large pin lowers, takedown pins, sear blocks, and semi BCG's, all shoot fantastically. Colt knows how to make a fantastic AR barrel and that isn't something Bushmaster was ever able to step to Colt with. There's other stuff, things like proper HPT/MPI on bolts, proper gas port size, gas key/castle nut staking, extractor spring inserts, etc.

Top Bottom