• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    How many people were assaulted or robbed because they open carried? Not having to draw from concealment is a tactical advantage. Also, I think for most shady folk displaying a firearm is more often a deterrent than it is anything else.

do you practice weapon retention or ever been surrounded by 4 tat covered thugs in a convenience store?

I OC'd all the time in the rural areas and in the burbs, but in the inner city area, i didn't.

depends on where you live.

when I OC'd i rocked a bi-tone xd9.
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    do you practice weapon retention or ever been surrounded by 4 tat covered thugs in a convenience store?

I OC'd all the time in the rural areas and in the burbs, but in the inner city area, i didn't.

depends on where you live.

when I OC'd i rocked a bi-tone xd9.

I gotta say, if I'm surrounded by thugs I will probably have already cleared leather.

Now if I'm in a convenience store with some people who have tattoos I will carry on as usual.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    Why you hatin on that tats? One of our tat'ed thugs will be by shortly to correct you

I guess ill be one , tat coverd thugs huh im coverd in tattoos I am I combat veteran. Have a conceal carry license pay my bills on time and have two kids and im married to a corporal in the dallas police dept. Who is also covered in tattoos so please dont be a douche and think just because a person is coverd in tattoos they are criminals

The only easy day was yesterday.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have before but not regularly, and yes... although the tat covered thugs were coworkers of mine, not strangers ;)

I was asking for some real examples, not hypothetical.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Why you hatin on that tats? One of our tat'ed thugs will be by shortly to correct you

oh snizzap.

I gotta say, if I'm surrounded by thugs I will probably have already cleared leather.

Now if I'm in a convenience store with some people who have tattoos I will carry on as usual.

if you can honestly say those pose an immediate threat by sizing you up and checking out your shiny 1911. To each their own i guess. I come from a different world i guess :)

Chinookman

Two-burning-Six a-turning
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Republic of TEXAS near Victoria
    Although I am all for oc, I would personally also opt to conceal carry (springfield xd sc .40). Is there anyone who is so against oc that they wouldn't want it at all? Or can we all agree that it is a good option to have just in case?

South Texas heat OC would be a great option and the deterrent effect would be priceless. It may also help bridge the gap between legal responsible owners and the anti 2A LEO's out there.....well I would hope.....anyways...

Chinookman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Love the 5.7 my doctor carries one as well....we talk guns each visit......but the velocity and penetration for public carry versus a slower round like a 9 or a 45 would make me think twice.....about using it for a carry.....that round has some speed woo-hoo...man oh man ...

Chinookman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    So why is an off duty cop or detective any safer then a citizen thats hiding a sidearm? A spider in or outside a hole is still a spider.

It seems that many CCW holders, subscribe to that it's better to hide the sidearm.

If you leave the house with a sidearm. You should have already bumped the awareness level. Situation awareness, environment awareness. To include level of carry. Mag in pistol, no round chambered? Or round chambered, hammer back?

I noticed the other day, after my girlfriend made a comment to me. About why I always walk to the back of a small convenience store, before going to the front. I also caught myself counting people in the store. Approx, age, gender, who belongs to what group(family)

I also catch myself turning my head to see who's behind me at walmart. I sit with my back to the wall at restaurants. I still count heads when Iam there too. The first thing I look at when I meet someone, is their hands. I also watch people for hand movement to their waist line or pocket. Nobody(most), comes within my sight, hearing, or smell range, without being "Scanned" for a possible threat.

Know your back stop.******

This may sound strange. I consider it some form of mild PTSD from working in a prison. If I see a person or not. If they come to within 5' feet of my back. I get a chill like someone just walked over my grave.

Next time your at walmart or where ever. Notice just how much people are absolutely clueless about the people around them. Like they are walking to the bathroom in their home.

Know your environment. Know where, when, and how to escape harm. Expect a threat in a clam, progressive manner. Have a plan on what youre gonna do if the threat happens. Be prepared to do what is necessary to defend yourself.

I just don't see how a pistol on the inside or outside detracts from all the above. If your not aware of your environment, CCW or open....won't make a difference. You'll already be dead. With an undrawn pistol.

Also adsorb the concept that you may need to lose the sidearm. If someone bigger then you succeeds at getting a hand on it, it maybe time to throw the pistol out of range.

This scenario was brought to light by a Harker Heights Peace Officer. He was involved in a fight over his sidearm. He determined that he would be able to overcome the threat without the sidearm. And he stood a worse chance of survival if the suspect did indeed get the firearm. So he threw it.

Expect EVERYTHING. Open or concealed. Practice it until it becomes habit.

Similiar habits I got into while learning about this: Self Defense Training | Tim Larkin | Martial Arts Training - Target Focus Training

Do not have chl yet but sit-rep is crucial to altering behavior and yes wally world people truly define "Sheeple" indeed but I once was one also ......

ragnarok1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Hi guys, I am in Kentucky, not Texas and we have always had open carry .........don't see a lot of open carry here, but it is common enough that I have never had a negative reaction from anybody.......the most common question I get is, 'What cha got?" I do hope that you guys get open carry soon. Having to carry concealed when I am in Texas is a pain...........it gets too darn hot. Whether I carry open or concealed in KY primarily depends on the weather and what I am wearing, and I like the freedom of not having to worry about whether or not somebody can see the gun. But to answer the question, my normal carry pistol is either a S&W .38 special or a .357 Colt Python, though the Colt to bulky for me to wear in states that do not permit open carry. I know that most folks prefer semi-autos, but I still like revolvers.....I know they will shoot when I want them to, but won't shoot when I don't want them to. I do not consider the limited ammo capacity to be a problem unless I am facing multiple attackers who do not have the sense to dive for cover when bullets start flying.....I am fast with my reloaders........and many things that would be cover against a 9mm are reduced to mere concealment against a .357 magnum. So, I would really appreciate it if you would pass open carry so I can wear my Colt next time I come for a visit *chuckles*. A quick comment on the OC vs. CC debate based on my experience in a state that allows both.......I do not know of any case where a bad guy targeted someone who was open carrying. I also consider the sight of a holstered gun to be a pretty good deterrent against crime. I do know that trying to take my gun would likely be detrimental to one's health.......even if they succeeded........it is not uncommon for me to carry a concealed backup.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Open carry, what would I carry? A concealed handgun. ;)
    yes-I-am-carrying-a-concealed-handgun-shirt.jpg

Top Bottom