DFW area

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I see your doing your part. Taking pictures while they work,

and then taking credit for their work. :spank::drummer::roflsmile::roflfunny:

Nobody takes pictures of me. I'm like a ghost.

My sore muscles tell me I worked though...in fact, I outlasted Ox the Destroyer. Had to send him to sit down for a bit. Pickles won't quit until right after I do.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Every spring for about 10 years I would buy a truck load of logs. I would estimate how many logs and figure how many logs to cut a day to accomplish the task in a month. Then proceeded to chop by hand, after about 3 years I started renting a splitter for a weekend. All neatly split and stacked for winter. Heated my Cape Cod house with a Vermont Castings stove situated in the living room, stove flu tied into fireplace. Some times part of the stove would get cherry red. Then I switched to coal for another 5 years which sat in front of the fireplace, then finally propane with a fireplace gas insert. Now in TX a/c is the main source of comfort, when temperature gets to be in the 50's I'm cold now.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Every spring for about 10 years I would buy a truck load of logs. I would estimate how many logs and figure how many logs to cut a day to accomplish the task in a month. Then proceeded to chop by hand, after about 3 years I started renting a splitter for a weekend. All neatly split and stacked for winter. Heated my Cape Cod house with a Vermont Castings stove situated in the living room, stove flu tied into fireplace. Some times part of the stove would get cherry red. Then I switched to coal for another 5 years which sat in front of the fireplace, then finally propane with a fireplace gas insert. Now in TX a/c is the main source of comfort, when temperature gets to be in the 50's I'm cold now.

We were lucky - when Snowmageddon hit a couple of Februaries ago, we had a good supply of firewood from a pine tree that had to come down at my parents' house before we sold it. We used every bit of that tree, and have been scrambling to keep up our supply for subsequent winters. Once we get all we can out of that bulldozer jumble we should be set for at least two or three years.

We have central heat, of course, but it's pretty crappy. And nothing beats the warmth that a good fire in the fireplace throws out. My parents' house had an amazing fireplace in the living room - designed to my mother's specification - so I grew up with that as part of my life. One of the things I like the most about our current house is that it has a fireplace.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Forgot to mention this was when I lived upstate NY.

MountainGirl

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Forgot to mention this was when I lived upstate NY.
    We went through 7 full cord each winter on the mountain; he'd drop the trees the year before to dry some. I limbed & bucked them, we hauled home the rounds for him to split. After he was killed in '21, I did it alone that fall... it about did me in. I miss that life, but damn it's nice to have an easier time of it now.

We have a fireplace and I bought 3 cord of oak and 1 of pecan for smoking, they split & stacked it, should last us years LOL. Ahhhh... easy peasy. :)

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Living in Katy we have to buy wood, mainly for use in the gas fireplace. We were talking about buying wood, grandson looked at his Dad and said they have to buy wood? They live in the hill country, wood is plentiful where they live.

Top Bottom