Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well...2 things are sure

You weren't there
    I wasn't there

So we can't know for sure
    I might guess that it may help with recoil?

The sandbags are improvised armor for the crew…see FM55-30; convoys were usually ambushed and the gun trucks were on a defensive ROE.

The challenge in VN was the environment; the sandbags absorbed rain (weight) which negatively impacted vehicle performance.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    SLAM: Supersonic Low Altitude Missile

Dubbed “The Big Stick” during a feasibility study, SLAM development was handed over to aerospace giant Convair. SLAM was envisioned as an air-breathing, nuclear powered cruise missile that would penetrate enemy airspace at low altitude, drop nuclear bombs on enemy targets, then make a suicidal plunge into a final target to contaminate the area with radioactivity. The Pentagon hoped to have the weapon ready by 1965.

Launched by a booster rocket during a crisis, SLAM’s nuclear-powered ramjet engine would kick in once the missile reached sufficient speed. The missile could then cruise for days or weeks. SLAM would enter enemy airspace at an altitude of 1,000 feet or less at Mach 3.5 speeds, its unshielded nuclear reactor spewing radioactive contamination across its path.

Not mentioned was the fact that the missile could be programmed to fly in a loop for weeks at low alt damaging structures with with it's supersonic boom all while contaminating the area with lethal nuclear fallout from it's reactor. Now that's what I call trolling an enemy! :laughing:

ihfbEAN.jpg

gRHkmOA.jpg

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    SLAM: Supersonic Low Altitude Missile

Dubbed “The Big Stick” during a feasibility study, SLAM development was handed over to aerospace giant Convair. SLAM was envisioned as an air-breathing, nuclear powered cruise missile that would penetrate enemy airspace at low altitude, drop nuclear bombs on enemy targets, then make a suicidal plunge into a final target to contaminate the area with radioactivity. The Pentagon hoped to have the weapon ready by 1965.

Launched by a booster rocket during a crisis, SLAM’s nuclear-powered ramjet engine would kick in once the missile reached sufficient speed. The missile could then cruise for days or weeks. SLAM would enter enemy airspace at an altitude of 1,000 feet or less at Mach 3.5 speeds, its unshielded nuclear reactor spewing radioactive contamination across its path.

Not mentioned was the fact that the missile could be programmed to fly in a loop for weeks at low alt damaging structures with with it's supersonic boom all while contaminating the area with lethal nuclear fallout from it's reactor. Now that's what I call trolling an enemy! :laughing:

ihfbEAN.jpg

gRHkmOA.jpg

that was a disappointment. I watched the entire video waiting for it to blow
    something up and it never happened. :machine::whip:

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I bet that's the last time he puts a FORD motor in his race car.
    Live & learn...??

You need to go to the Texas MotorPlex for a NHRA Event some time...

I like Friday Night Qualifying the best....

Wander through PIT ROW....they all have damaged parts on display/for sale cheap....

Amazing what 3-1/2 seconds of NITRO can do! (make good, expensive parts? Trash! in a HURRY!)

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Maybe this helps?

I know some call this a Daisy Cutter bomb, but that is an FAE (fuel-air explosive). The mixed gas would dissipate and upon reaching a critical low pressure, would explode spontaneously, leveling everything around it.

This what I remember as a daisy cutter, just a plain MK-82. The long fuse extension allowed the bomb to detonate above the ground, slicing across the level ground and cutting down everything in its blast radius (i.e. cutting daisys).
    barujb-04-mau-93-daisy-cutter-ext-m904-fuze.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I know some call this a Daisy Cutter bomb, but that is an FAE (fuel-air explosive). The mixed gas would dissipate and upon reaching a critical low pressure, would explode spontaneously, leveling everything around it.

This what I remember as a daisy cutter, just a plain MK-82. The long fuse extension allowed the bomb to detonate above the ground, slicing across the level ground and cutting down everything in its blast radius (i.e. cutting daisys).
    View attachment 419446

I've always seen the BLU-82 FAE bomb referred to as the "Daisy Cutter", probably because it clears the vegetation and doesn't leave much of a crater. You're actually the first person I've seen refer to the Mk-82 with the fuse extender by that nickname.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I've always seen the BLU-82 FAE bomb referred to as the "Daisy Cutter", probably because it clears the vegetation and doesn't leave much of a crater. You're actually the first person I've seen refer to the Mk-82 with the fuse extender by that nickname.
    Apparently not the only. I found that image by googling "daisy cutter images"

Top Bottom