Hurley's Gold

Officer shoots double amputee in wheelchair.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm willing to bet most on here wouldn't hesitate to use deadly force if they were cornered or a loved one were cornered by a one armed, one legged man brandishing an unknown object and making threats, yet this officer has already been found guilty even though you don't know half the facts and what is known would likely cause you to have the same reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think this officer is guilty. I can't applaud his actions, but I do believe he is justified.
    DK Firearms

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    The cop hasn't been convicted of anything. He hasn't been charged with anything. People can voice their opinions even if they differ from yours. Whether or not you think the cop did the right thing is nothing but an opinion at this point since none of us witnessed the confrontation. If you can't read other people's opinions without getting all bent out of shape don't expect others to be tolerant of your opinion.

I will say that just because he's an officer of the law doesn't automatically make what he did the right thing. I'm sure this incident will be investigated by the authorities and the right thing will be done....:)

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I would like to think my situational awarness would prevent me from allowing a man with no legs to corner me. I would likely take one step in a direction that the man with no legs is not.

Telling is how the police officers are blindly on the side of the officer. With only police officers to witnes this incident......................

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It is pretty hard to imagine feeling the need to use deadly force on a man in a wheelchair with one arm and leg but I haven't been there so I can't judge the officer's actions. On the surface it seems pretty messed up to shoot but it sure is easy to "Monday morning quarterback" on situations like this.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    This reminds me of the shooting of a mentally ill woman by a Richardson cop.

Her parents called the cops and told them she was off her meds. They go there, she's belligerent like mom had told them, she picks up a landscape stone in the back yard, one of the three cops shoots her.

No pepper spray. No alternative means of dis-arming. No waiting her out (130 women can't hold a 10 lb rock over her head for very long). Total screw up. Dead bi-polar lady.

I lost much respect for them after that.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    His hand to his belt....been there and done that, lol. I'm not blindly taking the side of the officer that shot. Rather, I'm annoyed by those who say he should have done this or that. For all we know, there were in his.apartment, he was calm, then he lashed out. We don't know, but seems a lot if folks always jump against officers, many of whom are non-Leo....if it's a bad shoot, I'm all for appropriate actions. Benefit of the doubt seems to be the last thing afforded to officers and their training. Our word or interpretation of events is always challenged. As if we always lie on our reports, that's all.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Being a Cop back 50 years ago was about as safe in a small town as it could get, of course an occasional drunk, wife beater or nutcase wanted to fight but they usually were handled quickly with a "Slapper or Blackjack" carried in the hip pocket when it got too rough for just hands.

Today the criminal element has grown much larger as is the general population, and certain ethnic groups seem taught from childhood to hate Cops and can and often kill or try to kill Law Enforcement Officers , as do criminals caught in the act or being arrested. Thus certain movements of the hands with objects that might not quickly be recognized as harmless, may seem to be observed in a split second as a weapon being brought into use. When approached by an Officer, a smile, friendly attitude, and hands in plain sight holding nothing other than a wallet does wonders in maintaining an Officer's response to an arrest or investigation. He is there to uphold the peace and dignity of the Citizens and not an enemy !

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Nicely said, Cuate.

I've been reading opinions on several different websites about this incident and notice just about every negative comment comes from someone that has NEVER been in a life or death situation (except driving to and from work....or infection from those dreaded paper-cuts) and feel comfortable to judge someone based on almost no facts or personal experience. I suppose their criticism comes from their many years of watching Law & Order.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    If this officer acted according to the way he was trained, I'm a little concerned that he wasn't trained not to let himself get cornered by a double amputee in a wheelchair. I'm not going to make a judgement and say the cop was wrong for what he did, but any reasonable person might question his actions given the information that is out there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If this officer acted according to the way he was trained, I'm a little concerned that he wasn't trained not to let himself get cornered by a double amputee in a wheelchair. I'm not going to make a judgement and say the cop was wrong for what he did, but any reasonable person might question his actions given the information that is out there.

Once again, the partner was cornered, second officer fired the shot.

Just details I know, but it gets confusing when the story starts getting changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just food for thought. Guy who got shot had one arm. Was in a wheelchair. Probably a powered wheelchair, since a regular one usually takes two hands to operate.

Power chairs take one hand to operate. How can he advance AND menace at the same time?

Seems like a kick would have sufficed at any rate...

Top Bottom