Hurley's Gold

Officer shoots double amputee in wheelchair.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    I read about it on the blaze yesterday. Frigging pitiful that the officer felt it necessary to draw his weapon and fire on him. I mean really, you couldnt have used pepper spray or a frigging tazer. Oh and for what its worth this is the second time in three years that this officer has shot and killed someone in the line of duty.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I read about it on the blaze yesterday. Frigging pitiful that the officer felt it necessary to draw his weapon and fire on him. I mean really, you couldnt have used pepper spray or a frigging tazer. Oh and for what its worth this is the second time in three years that this officer has shot and killed someone in the line of duty.

For what it's worth, the officer shot someone in the past who lunged at him with a knife, don't see how it relates at all to this story.

The man in this story was a bi polar schizophrenic waving an unknown object at his partner who has been backed in to a corner by a man who is ignoring ordered to drop the unknown object.

If anyone was actually there and would like to comment on what the officer should have done in this chaotic situation it would be nice to hear.

And for what it's worth, the article also states claunch's ability to make others feel threatened during his times of outrage despite his physical condition.

But who cares about any of that, lets string this bastard up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    As I have stated before, those who want to judge without knowing shit should get trained, hired and do the job. Then let me know what ya think.

Been trained, did the job. If an officer can't deal with a pen waving guy in a wheelchair , without shooting him....he's a piss poor cop.

This shoot first mentality is pathetic.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Been trained, did the job. If an officer can't deal with a pen waving guy in a wheelchair , without shooting him....he's a piss poor cop.

The object was unknown until after the situation ended. Until the object was identified it could have just as easily been a knife, did the article state whether or not the room was lot.

We don't know, but for some information is an unnecessary burden when condemning someone for their actions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The object was unknown until after the situation ended. Until the object was identified it could have just as easily been a knife, did the article state whether or not the room was lot.

We don't know, but for some information is an unnecessary burden when condemning someone for their actions.

fair enough.....but

Wheelchair. Whats he gonna do? Roll after you?

Swing an "object". Stay the hell out of reach until the fool gets tired of swinging the thing. He's in a CHAIR, that makes his reach......3'????

What happen to pepperspray, taser, or the ASP???? or just picking up a chair in the room and telling the guy you're gonna bust it over his head unless he drops it?

Why didn't the cop learn anything from the Teclose mandated mentally ill instruction???

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    fair enough.....but

Swing an "object". Stay the hell out of reach until the fool gets tired of swinging the thing. He's in a CHAIR, that makes his reach......3'????

What happen to pepperspray, taser, or the ASP???? or just picking up a chair in the room and telling the guy you're gonna bust it over his head unless he drops it?

Why didn't the cop learn anything from the Teclose mandated mentally ill instruction???

Really getting in to personal opinion here, but if I trusted my life to pepper spray and tasters I wouldn't have gotten my CHL and started carrying a gun.

For the rest, I'm sure smashing the guy over the head with a chair would have gone over extremely well. And as far as being in a wheel chair, he was enough of a threat to have one officer hemmed up in a corner. The article also says that it is still unknown (unreleased) if the officer has attended any training for dealing with the mentally ill. My personal opinion is that many murderers have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and bi-polar syndrome and they still commuted acts in which an officer was justified in shooting. Mentally I'll can mean many thing and this man was , judging by the article, prone to angry and violent outbursts.

I'm just not ready to build the gallows and start measuring this guys neck for the noose. There are too many unknown variables and enough in the article to show this was not a defenseless old man who just got a little upset.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Really getting in to personal opinion here, but if I trusted my life to pepper spray and tasters I wouldn't have gotten my CHL and started carrying a gun.

For the rest, I'm sure smashing the guy over the head with a chair would have gone over extremely well. And as far as being in a wheel chair, he was enough of a threat to have one officer hemmed up in a corner. The article also says that it is still unknown (unreleased) if the officer has attended any training for dealing with the mentally ill. My personal opinion is that many murderers have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and bi-polar syndrome and they still commuted acts in which an officer was justified in shooting. Mentally I'll can mean many thing and this man was , judging by the article, prone to angry and violent outbursts.

I'm just not ready to build the gallows and start measuring this guys neck for the noose. There are too many unknown variables and enough in the article to show this was not a defenseless old man who just got a little upset.

Chair over the head would have went over better then a gunshot in the face. If this officer was so tightly trapped in the corner, pulling his gun would have been a danger. At that distant, you stand a good chance of the fool grabbing the gun. Possibly taking it away.

I knew an officer who had to throw his gun to keep the suspect from getting it.(Harker heights Police). I also know an officer who shot a suspect in the hand with a 12ga. To get rid of the weapon he was holding. (Again, Harker Heights Police)

This officer relied on his gun more then his brain. The object of law enforcement is to use the least amount of force possible. Regardless of the threat.

Will this be ruled a just shooting? Yep. Could it have been handled differently? Yep. Was it a sloppy job? Oh yeah.

IMHO, all cops should be trained and do an amount of correction work. Weapons are an everyday thing. And knowing how the tactics work with a person with a weapon......would cut down on the suspect shooting stuff.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Chair over the head would have went over better then a gunshot in the face. If this officer was so tightly trapped in the corner, pulling his gun would have been a danger. At that distant, you stand a good chance of the fool grabbing the gun. Possibly taking it away.

I knew an officer who had to throw his gun to keep the suspect from getting it.(Harker heights Police). I also know an officer who shot a suspect in the hand with a 12ga. To get rid of the weapon he was holding. (Again, Harker Heights Police)

This officer relied on his gun more then his brain. The object of law enforcement is to use the least amount of force possible. Regardless of the threat.

Will this be ruled a just shooting? Yep. Could it have been handled differently? Yep. Was it a sloppy job? Oh yeah.

IMHO, all cops should be trained and do an amount of correction work. Weapons are an everyday thing. And knowing how the tactics work with a person with a weapon......would cut down on the suspect shooting stuff.

The officer who fired the shot was not the one trapped in the corner, I'm beginning to think the you didn't even read the article....

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009

Damn that attitude anyway. I can't afford the pay cut. I'm not a plastic surgeon but I can say without doubt, the one Kenny Rogers used mucked up.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Wow, I guess I did not get the copy you guys have. By my read there is insufficient information to make an informed opinion and certainly not enough concrete fact to render a verdict...... We all have opinions, we all have as*holes, why not keep them both covered. Until we have seen the room, location of the individuals involved, heard from all sides and witnesses are you willing to put your reputation on what you said today?

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    fair enough.....but

For a guy who has allegedly done this job, you seem to forget that it is TCLEOSE, not "teclose." Also, "mandated mentally ill instruction?" If you're referring to Crisis Intervention Training or Mental Health Officer, they teach skills and options, not a set procedure. Also for a guy who has obviously beefed up his right arm playing Monday morning quarterback, you also forget that striking someone in the head with a chair can be considered deadly force? Guy is going crazy, you expect him to be like "geez officer, since you say you're gonna hit me in the head, I'll stop." Lol, wake up. This officer standing back, sees his fellow officer be approached by a subject swinging an unknown object which is making a fully equipped officer back up, what would you think he's swinging. Maybe he saw something shine which to him resembled a knife, hell, maybe his partner thought he had one too. I don't know what department you allegedly worked for, but Damn that's cold to automatically oust an officer without knowing details yourself. I have seen a man in a wheel chair stab someone who was then shot. People, like yourself, underestimate them obviously.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    By the ways, in your training, you also of cours knew that many times, emotionally disturbed people may know have any reactions to taser or OC devices, right? If someone coming at me with a knife, I'm not using a baton or OC. It's not the use of force ladder anymore, the use of force continuum.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    fair enough.....but

LOL. You're making me laugh about a mentally ill guy who got shot in his wheelchair. That's just f*cked up...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm willing to bet most on here wouldn't hesitate to use deadly force if they were cornered or a loved one were cornered by a one armed, one legged man brandishing an unknown object and making threats, yet this officer has already been found guilty even though you don't know half the facts and if you knew what was known to the officers at the time most here would likely have the same reaction.

Top Bottom