1701613155509.png

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Well, no global conquest, no forging...and the damn oil change turned into an ordeal that ate the entire afternoon, left Pickles bleeding, and put me in pain from having to crawl under the car to try to force the stupid special oil filter tool Toyota requires to overcome the 10,000 foot pounds of torque the jackasses at Henderson Automotive in Seven Points, TX put on every damn moving part underneath the car last time I foolishly trusted them to change my oil.

Quick lunch and a trip to O'Reilly for oil and a filter (and, as it turned out, a special tool required to do the freaky-ass and unnecessarily different oil filter change): 1-1/2 hours. It was a good lunch, and it's a bit of a drive.

Jacking the car up and getting it on jack stands: 10 minutes.

Pulling the oil pan drain bolt: 15 minutes, and our first sign of trouble as Pickles had a hell of a time budging it.

Unscrewing the drain plug in the cap of the stupid oil filter compartment: 20 minutes of solid effort with a ratchet wrench.

Using the special tool to unscrew the cap of the stupid oil filter compartment to access the squishy, oil-filled filter core that's the part you replace by using brute force from both Pickles and me (and let me tell you how fun it is getting down on the ground with my knees...) trying to use a rubber mallet on the ratchet to force it to unscrew, and then finally finding a long enough steel tube that would fit over the handle of a ratchet so enough leverage could be brought to bear to unscrew the damn thing: Well over 2 hours, possibly 3.

Replacing the filter and the o-rings, screwing everything together, and filling the car with fresh oil: 15 minutes.

But I did just make some tacos, and they were tasty.
    I looked at the cost to change my own oil in my diesel trucks. About $85 for oil and filter for each truck. Plus I have to deal with 4 gallons of used oil from each truck.

Local place charges $97 plus they lube everything and check diffs/ etc.

While I like to be a DIYer sometimes it's just not worth it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I looked at the cost to change my own oil in my diesel trucks. About $85 for oil and filter for each truck. Plus I have to deal with 4 gallons of used oil from each truck.

Local place charges $97 plus they lube everything and check diffs/ etc.

While I like to be a DIYer sometimes it's just not worth it.

Well, next time all we'll need is the oil and filter. Since we know the pitfalls, have the tool, and didn't tighten everything down so tight that Hercules would stumble away defeated.

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    The "analysts" all want Texas in there. With #1 Georgia losing to # 8 Bama today, it opened a slot. Washington and Michigan are a definite. Their dream top 4 are Washington, Michigan, Texas and Alabama. With #4 FSU winning tonight., it makes it very complicated for them. Plus Georgia lost its first game today out of the last 46 games they've played. Should they just be discarded ?? This is the last year of the "final four" as I understand it. I doubt the committee members are sleeping much tonight before voting tomorrow, they know there is going to be trash talking deluxe no matter what they do...
    Good call @SARGE67, HOOK 'EM HORNS!

Top Bottom