• ...and so much more!
  • popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Thanks everybody. All is well. Except I have a confession to make.

My last husband was killed by a swarm of yellow jackets on the mountain. He made it into our cabin, stuck his head under the cold water faucet to stop the pain, said he thought he was having a heart attack, went and sat on the toilet, by the time I got in the bathroom his eyes were rolled back and foam was coming out of his mouth. I got him on the floor, called 911, and did CPR on him for over 20 min waiting for rescue to show up. They worked on him for a while then pronounced him dead. That was just over 2 yrs ago.

Seconds before I made my Help post ^^ - my husband called in from the door, said he was headed to clear out that hornet's nest and took off. I had a flashback panic, what if it happened again? I failed the first time and I didn't know what to do if it happened again... then I remembered about Benadryl but wouldn't know how much to quickly give him while waiting for rescue - so I made the quick post... praying someone would see my call for help, and you did.

After I read @ZX9RCAM 's post of assurance, @Wudidiz 's post on care, and @TxStetson 's post about dosage - I grabbed the bottle of Benadryl, some water and my phone and chased out after him. I watched as he worked; took him 20min to get it all knocked down, he did not get stung.

I've spent the last few hours in deep thought; about what happened before, about what could have happened today, about how short life is and about how grateful I am for my blessings; not the least of which is being a part of TGT.

Again, thank you all for your replies and I'm sorry for leaving the wrong impression; I didn't have time to explain then, but wanted to now.

It's always better to safe than sorry. You did the correct thing. In doing so, you had the correct procedures and how to do them if they were needed.

You go girl.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Thanks, your words mean a lot.

BTW, if he goes out to knock down a yellowjacket, hornet or wasp nest without killing the bugs first, hit him upside the head with something solid. There's no good reason to attack them when they can fight back - spray the nest with dish soap and water and you won't have to worry about nasty chemical residues or getting a face full of poison, and it'll kill the psycho bugs so they can't attack.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania

My last husband was killed by a swarm of yellow jackets on the mountain. He made it into our cabin, stuck his head under the cold water faucet to stop the pain, said he thought he was having a heart attack, went and sat on the toilet, by the time I got in the bathroom his eyes were rolled back and foam was coming out of his mouth. I got him on the floor, called 911, and did CPR on him for over 20 min waiting for rescue to show up. They worked on him for a while then pronounced him dead. That was just over 2 yrs ago.

Seconds before I made my Help post ^^ - my husband called in from the door, said he was headed to clear out that hornet's nest and took off. I had a flashback panic, what if it happened again? I failed the first time and I didn't know what to do if it happened again... then I remembered about Benadryl but wouldn't know how much to quickly give him while waiting for rescue - so I made the quick post... praying someone would see my call for help, and you did.

After I read @ZX9RCAM 's post of assurance, @Wudidiz 's post on care, and @TxStetson 's post about dosage - I grabbed the bottle of Benadryl, some water and my phone and chased out after him. I watched as he worked; took him 20min to get it all knocked down, he did not get stung.

I've spent the last few hours in deep thought; about what happened before, about what could have happened today, about how short life is and about how grateful I am for my blessings; not the least of which is being a part of TGT.

Again, thank you all for your replies and I'm very sorry for leaving the wrong impression; I didn't have time to explain then, but wanted to now.
    My deepest sympathy.....

That had to have been terrible....

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Again, thank you all for your replies and I'm very sorry for leaving the wrong impression; I didn't have time to explain then, but wanted to now.

When you have experienced that level of trauma, it’s natural to be triggered by that. I imagine your heart was in your throat.

No apologies required. You did the right thing.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Thanks - info filed away for if/when needed. :)
    Am not allergic to bees...(most stuff that is green & grows...will put a hurting on me)

I usually get hit a couple/three times a Summer whilst mowing, once in a while cleaning gutters/downspouts....

I give the sting site a quick wash in COOL water, then apply the baking soda paste...

One teaspoon of baking soda with some cool water? do about several dozen stings...(I have four sons....they survived it, too)...

Relieves the ITCH/inflammation just about RIGHT NOW)

Not enough for someone allergic...Have one friend who carries TWO "epi pens" whilst doing yard work...one hit from a hornet is a trip to the ER!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Funny story.

About 8 or 10yrs back....mowed around house with push mower...

No problem.

About an hour later, went by the house (on the East Side) with diesel tractor...I got LIT UP! Dang paper wasps had made a nest behind the down spout....never saw them when I push mowed...

They did not like that diesel tractor...

Well...that night? I gave them TWO FULL CANS of hornet spray. Next night? Another full can.

Knocked the hive/paper mess down & tossed it in the fire pit!

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas

Wow! So sorry you had to go thru that. It's understandable that you have flashbacks. But glad all is well. You are loved! :)

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    BTW, make sure you tell him what got you all worked up and make him promise to never spring that on you again, MG. Maybe smack him with a rolled up newspaper for good measure.
    He knows, and knew. Said he wasn't going to tell me till after it was done - but figured my not knowing (had something happened) would have been worse. He's a rip the band aid off kinda guy, lol. I like your rolled up newspaper idea though. :)

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I hope I'm not allergic to wasps. I kill them all day long. Everytime I go out the back door I have to swat a couple of em dead. I spray canned a mess of em bedding down in some of my birdhouses. They even like buzzing all over my chaise tree. Pogo (the dog) and I chase them around the yard with a fly swatter. I'm sure my day of not getting stung will end soon. Sumbitches!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I hope I'm not allergic to wasps. I kill them all day long. Everytime I go out the back door I have to swat a couple of em dead. I spray canned a mess of em bedding down in some of my birdhouses. They even like buzzing all over my chaise tree. Pogo (the dog) and I chase them around the yard with a fly swatter. I'm sure my day of not getting stung will end soon. Sumbitches!

It's weird. I'm allergic to them most of the time. I've been stung on the hand and had my whole arm swell up (and a megadose of Benadryl does help with that), but also I got stung right under my eye a few years ago and...nothing (aside from the burning pain...and the burning need for the revenge I got on the wasp nest). Not even a welt after a day or so had gone by. So apparently I'm selectively allergic.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    It's weird. I'm allergic to them most of the time. I've been stung on the hand and had my whole arm swell up (and a megadose of Benadryl does help with that), but also I got stung right under my eye a few years ago and...nothing (aside from the burning pain...and the burning need for the revenge I got on the wasp nest). Not even a welt after a day or so had gone by. So apparently I'm selectively allergic.
    I guess it really varies. Tom wasn't allergic at all; we both got stung now and then up on the mountain. The Coroner said it was the quantity and location (top of his head) that nailed him. He'd bent over to pick up a closed patio umbrella - and they were all sleeping/nesting inside of that. Until they weren't.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    edmonsonjohn68
    Top Bottom