• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    A simple fajita marinade/sauce can be made with lime juice, olive oil, and soy sauce. But you can also find recipes with garlic, cumin, oregano, and lemon juice. And even pineapple juice.

What appears to differentiate it from traditional carne asada, is orange juice and oranges.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Flank steak is mighty expensive for beef fajitas! Meat department speaking beef fajitas is inside skirt, or the harder to find outside skirt steak.

Depends on how much you like fajitas or carne asada.

I don't make either very often, maybe once a year. But I recently had my kids and grandkids here. I made a huge batch of carne asada for soft tacos. Bought 4 lbs of flank and skirt at Grocery Outlet for $5.99/lb.

They were worth it! ;)

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Look at the history of BBQ brisket. Some of the toughest beef there ever was, but smoked low and slow, makes it some of the most wonderful cuts of beef ever. Use to, I could buy a brisket for less than .70 cents a pound years ago, and sometimes cheaper when on sale. Go to the grocery store and price a decent sized brisket now. Briskets went gourmet and became very popular so the prices went sky high on them.
    Now they are claiming brisket fat has health benefits...

"According to researchers at Texas A&M, beef brisket contains high levels of oleic acid, which produces high levels of HDLs, the "good" kind of cholesterol. Oleic acid has two major benefits: it produces HDLs, which lower your risk of heart disease, and it lowers LDLs the "bad" type of cholesterol."
    "Brisket is Healthy for You, Says Researchers at Texas A&M" https://www.wideopencountry.com/texas-bbq/amp/

Niemand Besonderes

Nobody Special
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Williamson County
    IMG_0989.JPG

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Look at the history of BBQ brisket. Some of the toughest beef there ever was, but smoked low and slow, makes it some of the most wonderful cuts of beef ever. Use to, I could buy a brisket for less than .70 cents a pound years ago, and sometimes cheaper when on sale. Go to the grocery store and price a decent sized brisket now. Briskets went gourmet and became very popular so the prices went sky high on them.
    Brisket have been used for years as corned beef. They also are a big deal in Jewish kitchens for

Many quality beef franks have used beef brisket for ages, simply for their fat to lean ratio and ease in boning out.

Your”went gourmet driving the price up” is crazy talk at best. Have you noticed the price of ground meat?

It reminds me of a customer that asked for ham hocks. When I told her we were out her comment was she didn’t expect us to carry gourmet meat items like hocks. I assured her they were less than gourmet, and we were out because it was New Years and used in more then a few holiday traditions.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Depends on how much you like fajitas or carne asada.

I don't make either very often, maybe once a year. But I recently had my kids and grandkids here. I made a huge batch of carne asada for soft tacos. Bought 4 lbs of flank and skirt at Grocery Outlet for $5.99/lb.

They were worth it! ;)
    Fajitas are something I would seldom order simply because of the marketing of them, because they are easy for white people to pronounce off a menu.

Personally I much prefer barbacoa tacos over fajitas. Then again I’m just as happy with trip as or chicharron tacos if done right. Nothing cracks me up more then seeing fajitas cut wrong. Then again most briskets are sliced wrong too.

In my years as a meat cutter I can assure you that meat cutters will see a cut of meat and put it aside for themselves.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Flank steak is mighty expensive for beef fajitas! Meat department speaking beef fajitas is inside skirt, or the harder to find outside skirt steak.

baboon,

Inasmuch as FAJITAS are traditionally "peasant food" (but VERY TASTY) in Mexico, I use THIN-SLICED chuck to make them, as any random but poor Mexican/Tejano cook WOULD.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Never had lettuce or ground beef in a fajita or peppers and onions in a taco.

Fold the ends in and they’re all burritos.

toddnjoyce,

COME to our home for a "family supper", when we are making tacos, refritos, etc. & you will see a large platter of grilled/sliced hot peppers & sliced onions on the table to put IN your tacos, IF YOU WISH.

Personally, we PREFER to "load our own" tacos at the table.

FWIW, we call suppers like that "Tex-Mex junk food night", as you can "pick & choose" what you want to load your plate with from the platters/bowls of different Tex-Mex things.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    baboon,

Inasmuch as FAJITAS are traditionally "peasant food" (but VERY TASTY) in Mexico, I use THIN-SLICED chuck to make them, as any random but poor Mexican/Tejano cook WOULD.

yours, satx

Really? Just where do you get your information from? Do you just make up things as you go along?

Technically there isn't anything Mexican about fajitas! It's Tex-Mex!

Fajita is a Tex-Mex, Texan-Mexican American or Tejano, diminutive term for little strips of meat cut from the beef skirt, the most common cut used to make fajitas.[3] The word fajita is not known to have appeared in print until 1971, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. (The word faja is Spanish for "strip", or "belt", from the Latin fascia, "band"[6]) Although fajita originally referred to these strips of beef skirt, fajitas now are made with a variety of fillings, such as green/red/yellow peppers, onions, chilies, and jalapeño peppers.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I’m not a Mexican nor do I play one on TV. I do know that Mexico has several different regional cuisines.

I worked with lots of Mexicans and Mexican Americans. The most common thing I learned was like myself they like cheap eats.

Besides Mexican meat cutters I have worked in a professional kitchen with them. One thing is sure Mexicans can cook. Very few restaurants kitchens will one not find a Mexican.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I’m not a Mexican nor do I play one on TV. I do know that Mexico has several different regional cuisines.

I worked with lots of Mexicans and Mexican Americans. The most common thing I learned was like myself they like cheap eats.

Besides Mexican meat cutters I have worked in a professional kitchen with them. One thing is sure Mexicans can cook. Very few restaurants kitchens will one not find a Mexican.

baboon,

What you said is GENERALLY TRUE, except for UPPER CLASS Mexican girls (like my adopted daughter), "who make RESERVATIONS" for dinner.

OTOH, such Mexicanas are generally REALLY GOOD at PLANNING FANCY PARTIES..

yours, satx

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    toddnjoyce,

COME to our home for a "family supper", when we are making tacos, refritos, etc. & you will see a large platter of grilled/sliced hot peppers & sliced onions on the table to put IN your tacos, IF YOU WISH.

Personally, we PREFER to "load our own" tacos at the table.

FWIW, we call suppers like that "Tex-Mex junk food night", as you can "pick & choose" what you want to load your plate with from the platters/bowls of different Tex-Mex things.

yours, satx
    Shit can I come I got cronoas and don juilio

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

What you said is GENERALLY TRUE, except for UPPER CLASS Mexican girls (like my adopted daughter), "who make RESERVATIONS" for dinner.

OTOH, such Mexicanas are generally REALLY GOOD at PLANNING FANCY PARTIES..

yours, satx
    I have met only two Mexicans that came from money. They were college boys living in an apartments (not together). They regularly came over to eat @ my apartment having followed their noses.

98% of the Mexicans I have met & known were as poor as me. I haven notices these regular folks throw down stupid money on their daughters quinceañera. And everyone did their own food. Never once did they serve fajitas.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shit can I come I got cronoas and don juilio

kletxri1911a1,

SI, Senor, con mucho gusto.
    (ALSO, as my lady is 1st generation American & was raised by her "Old World" Sicilian grandmother after her parents died in a car wreck when she was 4YO, our place is a GOOD PLACE for authentic SICILIAN SPECIALTIES.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Every Day Man