• Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    @Axxe55

On the off-chance that it was a rhetor

I was thinking more along the lines of commercially available fast food. What YOU do in YOUR home is a whole nuther story!!!

I make soft tacos with ground beef, or with skirt steak, but when I make them with skirt steak, I marinate the meat and then it is called a "carne asada" taco, not just a "soft taco". Soft tacos with fish, are called "fish tacos". Those with chicken are called "Chicken tacos" etc, just like you do when you want taquitos... what kind of taquito... "chicken taquito". ;)

Fajita meat is always chunked, never scooped out of a hopper like they do at Taco Smell. And the meat is always grilled on a flat plate metal griddle stove, and there is a sauce/marinate that is either put on first, or cooked in. Fajitas may be served on a sizzling hot plate, or if you like to go to vendor stands as a open ended wrap with grilled peppers and onions, and sour cream is optional.

I was discounting fast food like Taco Bell, and more in reference to either a real Mexican restaurant, or cooked at home.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I was discounting fast food like Taco Bell, and more in reference to either a real Mexican restaurant, or cooked at home.

My reply remains the same. Tho I've never had a "fajita taco" in a real mexican rest. It's always been just fajitas on a sizzling plate at a mex food rest, and it's always been wrapped in a open ended soft tortilla from a vendor stand. (If I specified "fajita taco" from a vendor stand, I'd prob get some real funny looks and a "where you from boy?")

Maybe it's just around my parts, could be diff in Mexico.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Must be a damned dull afternoon! :roflfunny:
    when-u-come-back-from-ya-lunch-break-and-they-30242246.png

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Show me what part of a chicken or shrimp are actually the fajitas! I assumed fajitas was merely a way of eating.

Nope. It's meat cut in strips, marinated, and grilled with a specific sauce. Usually with grilled peppers (almost wrote "peeper") and onions.''

There are chicken (both breast and dark meat) fajitas and beef fajitas... ain never had me no shrimp fajitas.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I bought a 16" cast iron skillet for a camping trip. Used my big burner for turkey frying and cooked up some pretty yummy fajitas. We ate them as a wrap and I finished the rest just laid out on a plate. I think it has more to do with the style of meat, cooking, and flavor than it does whether it is on a plate or a wrapped tortilla shell.

But when we go to the flea market, the vendors use huge flat plate burner/griddles. The price for a fajita is up to about $9 now, so that is a thing of the past for me.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Incredible to me is how beef producers have improved the quality of fajitas over the past 40 years... They used to be thin, tough, fatty, and full of veins. I was 20 years old, before I ever even heard of fajitas... When they really took off in SA in the late 70's, one of my father's mexican neighbors exclaimed, "Fajitas! That's what my grandmother fed to the dog". Now, they are are a prime cut, thick and tender.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Lets throw in burritos. They typically are made with flour tortillas as well.

Stopped at Mexican food joint in dodge city Kansas. Authentic like place not a fast food knock off like Taco Bell , it was called something de Jalisco like all the others on every corner in south texas. Had the Mexican looking tables and chairs inside. Don’t know the style, like a charro rodeo if that’s such a thing. Had the obligatory soccer game on the TVs. Tried ordering a bacon egg and cheese breakfast taco. They looked at me with a confused gaze. They didn’t have any breakfast tacos only burritos. What kind of Mexican food joint doesn’t have tacos in the morning? Went with the burrito. It sucked. I should have known better. So word to the wise. If all they have is burritos just keep on going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Incredible to me is how beef producers have improved the quality of fajitas over the past 40 years... They used to be thin, tough, fatty, and full of veins. I was 20 years old, before I ever even heard of fajitas... When they really took off in SA in the late 70's, one of my father's mexican neighbors exclaimed, "Fajitas! That's what my grandmother fed to the dog". Now, they are are a prime cut, thick and tender.

Look at the history of BBQ brisket. Some of the toughest beef there ever was, but smoked low and slow, makes it some of the most wonderful cuts of beef ever. Use to, I could buy a brisket for less than .70 cents a pound years ago, and sometimes cheaper when on sale. Go to the grocery store and price a decent sized brisket now. Briskets went gourmet and became very popular so the prices went sky high on them.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Stopped at Mexican food joint in dodge city Kansas. Authentic like place not a fast food knock off like Taco Bell , it was called something de Jalisco like all the others on every corner in south texas. Had the Mexican looking tables and chairs inside. Don’t know the style, like a charro rodeo if that’s such a thing. Had the obligatory soccer game on the TVs. Tried ordering a bacon egg and cheese breakfast taco. They looked at me with a confused gaze. They didn’t have any breakfast tacos only burritos. What kind of Mexican food joint doesn’t have tacos in the morning? Went with the burrito. It sucked. I should have known better. So word to the wise. If all they have is burritos just keep on going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bwhaaaaaaa tru dat

Top Bottom