• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    San Antonio
    Just thought I would introduce myself, I just moved to Texas two months ago. Lived in Vegas and just recently California (I know, I know another one). It's nice to be back in a free state again, sad to see what Nevada has become in terms of gun laws. I got out just as they elected the current governor who is slowly turning it into California East. Not here to Californi-cate but to assimilate into the Texas way. I was lucky enough to get all my ID stuff squared away and completed my paperwork for my LTC, compared to other experiences like, I have to say I am loving that you can take the class online and just do a short review and qualification for an in person. I don't understand why most states don't do this. Loving living in Texas so far.
    ARJ Defense ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Welcome.

I suggest you study carefully if you want to use the online LTC process. Most folks just carve out a day and take a class. That's a simpler way to proceed.

Why? The overall time investment on your part is roughly equal, either way, but finding a qualified instructor to administer the shooting portion can be problematic since for most of them it's not an efficient use of their time. Instructors on this board have stated that they charge full private lesson rates which can often make the online option significantly more expensive.

OTOH, my knowledge of this topic is somewhat old and may be outdated. If you've found someone who cranks out those shooting tests for a reasonable fee, don't listen to me.

brix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2020
    San Antonio
    This is the Right Answer!

Welcome!

I have a number of friends and family that I left behind that are good folks....unfortunately the state is no longer what I remember and hasn't been since Pete Wilson was governor (that was three decades ago). Trust me though more and more people are waking up and having good conversations.

Welcome.

I suggest you study carefully if you want to use the online LTC process. Most folks just carve out a day and take a class. That's a simpler way to proceed.

Why? The overall time investment on your part is roughly equal, either way, but finding a qualified instructor to administer the shooting portion can be problematic since for most of them it's not an efficient use of their time. Instructors on this board have stated that they charge full private lesson rates which can often make the online option significantly more expensive.

OTOH, my knowledge of this topic is somewhat old and may be outdated. If you've found someone who cranks out those shooting tests for a reasonable fee, don't listen to me.

Hey thanks for the heads up. My experience was pretty smooth. The appointments for getting fingerprinting was the most challenging because of covid. I was able to complete the online course within two evenings at my own pace. After completing the course a local instructor reached out to me and scheduled the in person class. I realize it was a little more expensive but not much more to break the bank and I figured my time was worth more for me not to spend it in a classroom. Now I am just in the waiting game since it seems that LTC are taking 60 days to get in the mail because of covid delays. (damn covid). My biggest advice is to plan in advance and make sure you get your Texas ID first that is proving to be a challenge for a lot of new Texans because of covid. Appointments are backed up to Oct/Nov, fingerprinting too is seeing appointment being backed up weeks when from what I've been told used to be maybe a day or two.

Top Bottom