• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just bought a used Remington 700 in .30-06 - came with a synthetic stock and a ~$50 scope.

This is my first bolt-action rifle, and I plan to do two changes:

- New scope

- Wood stock

I'll do the scope first - does anyone know where I can find a quality wooden stock, a ballpark cost, and know whether a gunsmith would be required to change it out?

Thanks,

Mike

I have the BDL in 30-06, made in the 70's, and that SOB kicked like a mule. I finally had some work done to it.

Bedded and floated in the original wood stock. Its really pretty wood with the black end and nice engraving on the stock.

Different trigger installed that is adjustable. And its adjusted to 3lbs. There is no pulling off the target with this one. A very easy squeeze, and it goes boom.

The final mod was a milled in muzzle break / porting job. Holes milled into the end of the barrel, and it took about 30% of the recoil away. That gun was a beast to shoot before the porting, and a cupcake after it. My 14 year old son shot his first buck with it, and he didn't weigh more than 120 at the time.

Of all the work on that gun, the porting and the trigger made the biggest impact. In that order. Its the last rifle I will ever kill deer with. Its near perfect in every way, and I won't ever buy another large caliber gun. No need.
    Lynx Defense

Top Bottom