• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yep. My family here is down in the Woodlands. They keep trying to talk me into a city job (Houston). I think I'll stay out here in the country.
    The place we sold in IL was a mile, as the crow flies, from any other humans. Near 2 on the road. But that's part of why we got burglarized repeatedly.
    People outside shooting guns around my area seem to keep the thieves at bay for the most part. Go figure.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    People outside shooting guns around my area seem to keep the thieves at bay for the most part. Go figure.
    The burglaries at our place were extremely out of the norm for the area. I'd never locked my door before moving to that area. We think that there was a personal component to it, but never could prove it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My family down here had been trying to get me to move down for about 20 years. The stars finally aligned, and here we are. We've been here for awhile getting things worked out, now it's nearly time to get back to work. But there are more job opportunities on 75 between Huntsville and Conroe than there was in my whole dang county..
    I never understood why my family stay in Illinois, they probably can't understand my reasons to stay in Texas. I made the migration from Joliet in the winter of 1982 to Houston after being on a 3 year unemployment binge.

I came down as a buddy said he could get me on with the Iron Worker Union when Houston was booming. He had the dates all wrong and I was just about out of money when I went to work as an apprentice meat cutter. No union meant no nepotism, which seemed like most unions up there.

I made my first trip home when my mom died. Made a few more until my dad died. After my father passed away I vowed at his funeral that I would never return even for my brother or sisters funerals.

Texas has been very good to me. I can say the same about Houston. My body was worn out after 36 years cutting meat. I also worked a seasonal job for 22 years. It was time to to GTFO of Houston. Central Texas is now home until I die.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    I never understood why my family stay in Illinois, they probably can't understand my reasons to stay in Texas. I made the migration from Joliet in the winter of 1982 to Houston after being on a 3 year unemployment binge.

I came down as a buddy said he could get me on with the Iron Worker Union when Houston was booming. He had the dates all wrong and I was just about out of money when I went to work as an apprentice meat cutter. No union meant no nepotism, which seemed like most unions up there.

I made my first trip home when my mom died. Made a few more until my dad died. After my father passed away I vowed at his funeral that I would never return even for my brother or sisters funerals.

Texas has been very good to me. I can say the same about Houston. My body was worn out after 36 years cutting meat. I also worked a seasonal job for 22 years. It was time to to GTFO of Houston. Central Texas is now home until I die.
    The heat is a definite concern. They say that this summer has been an odd one. But it hasn't seemed a whole lot worse than IL so far. Maybe I just got lucky enough to have a mild one to break me in.
    Leaving friends and family sucks. But in my situation, I didn't have alot of either left up there.
    It also sucks leaving your reputation. Back there I didn't apply for jobs, people called me. Applying down here has been very strange. So far one place immediately rejected me, another has been dragging its feet for weeks, and a third that I'm not sure I want said that my resume was off the charts good.
    I definitely won't miss unions.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Never had breakfast there but ooh wee, lunches are over salted.

I went to Bubba T's Willis again today, pretty dang good. :cool:

Welcome @ILexpatriot and @letsget86d . I'm on a ST ride and live 30mi o/s of Huntsville, always ready for paved havoc. :evil:
    We have only been once, and it was at lunch. The lady at the door told us about the steam table, but didn't offer a menu. The food off the steam table was good, and as a contractor I can appreciate that it was FAST. But it was kinda cashy. I'll try the menu next time.
    The one thing that struck me odd about the place was that even full of truckers and such, it was one of the quietest places I'd ate in ages. IDK why it was, but it was nice.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Hey Bud! Glad you found the site.

We hit the Fish Pond in Willis for breakfast (5 stars) , then went up your way towards Madisonville looking at that property you mentioned. I sure like it up there where you're at.

We are overdue for a get-together so try to get to next one. Maybe Fish Pond?
    It looks like I can receive messages, but can't send them yet.. Just let me know if your going to be around, and I can probably be there. I was being a smartass in the other post, but it didn't let my emojis come through, so I just sounded like an ass.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    IMG_8319.jpeg

Top Bottom