• easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Welcome!

My former fiance (RIP) was from southern Illinois. I really liked it visiting there. I may had considered living there after fleeing the northwest if it hadn't been for the politics of that state. Anyway, after 11 years in Texas, I have no regrets on my choice.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Welcome!

My former fiance (RIP) was from southern Illinois. I really liked it visiting there. I may had considered living there after fleeing the northwest if it hadn't been for the politics of that state. Anyway, after 11 years in Texas, I have no regrets on my choice.
    Once we got concealed carry, downstate IL really isn't as bad as people say. There are a lot of good folks up there. But obviously, like you, here I am.. Though my reasons are complicated. We had a family break up over the farm, I told them to stick it and moved away, though still in IL. Then a crackhead figured out our schedule, and proceeded to break in 5 times in 6 years to the tune of well into the 5 digits in losses and damage. Then we got an unsolicited offer to buy our house. It was more than fair, and we took it. We lived all last summer in an RV, and shopping for property. I told the boss that if I hadn't found anything by the time snow was flying, I'd be flying. And that's just what happened.

letsget86d

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2024
    Fort Bended Knee
    I looked long and hard at a CB500x with the Enduro conversion when we got here. It had racetech suspension, and some other goodies for cheap. But when there isn't any money coming in, it's tough to spend it.
    I had a DRZ400S with a BIG ole seat on it for comfort. Spent many hours in the SH National Forest on that bike. Had a few years of heightened interest in doing dumb shit on liter bikes after being cheated on for the first time in my life. I still keep a liter bike around but the dumb shit occurs much less frequently. I am casually looking for a cruiser now. A Rocket or a VMax would be cool....

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Once we got concealed carry, downstate IL really isn't as bad as people say. There are a lot of good folks up there. But obviously, like you, here I am.. Though my reasons are complicated. We had a family break up over the farm, I told them to stick it and moved away, though still in IL. Then a crackhead figured out our schedule, and proceeded to break in 5 times in 6 years to the tune of well into the 5 digits in losses and damage. Then we got an unsolicited offer to buy our house. It was more than fair, and we took it. We lived all last summer in an RV, and shopping for property. I told the boss that if I hadn't found anything by the time snow was flying, I'd be flying. And that's just what happened.
    Couldn't remember the name of the town she was from until I remembered that George Harrison's sister used to live there and looked it up. Benton, Illinois.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    I had a DRZ400S with a BIG ole seat on it for comfort. Spent many hours in the SH National Forest on that bike. Had a few years of heightened interest in doing dumb shit on liter bikes after being cheated on for the first time in my life. I still keep a liter bike around but the dumb shit occurs much less frequently. I am casually looking for a cruiser now. A Rocket or a VMax would be cool....
    I had a drz400s for a couple years. I really liked it, but had to sell it, or my old jet boat. I figured since they still made the bike it would be easier to replace, but so far I haven't. I did pick up a CRF250L and liked it too. But it wouldn't like 45.. I had a 1200 sportster for awhile that made 75/75. I really miss it. But couldn't possibly shift that trans with my F'ed up foot.
    I've ridden some crotch rockets, but never owned one as a life preserving measure. They used to say that if I wanted to wreck a bike in a way I hadn't before, I'd have to make something new up since I'd already tried all the known ways. I'm a decent rider. But I tend to push things further than I should. That's a lot safer on a 250 or a 400

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Couldn't remember the name of the town she was from until I remembered that George Harrison's sister used to live there and looked it up. Benton, Illinois.
    Benton was considerably south..but I've been through there a few times. I bought a firebird in Mulkeytown, which is near there. And we got a Shadow for the wife in Marion. Neat country down there. Hilly, unlike where I'm from. It was so flat there you could see a town 15 miles away.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Hey Bud! Glad you found the site.

We hit the Fish Pond in Willis for breakfast (5 stars) , then went up your way towards Madisonville looking at that property you mentioned. I sure like it up there where you're at.

We are overdue for a get-together so try to get to next one. Maybe Fish Pond?

letsget86d

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2024
    Fort Bended Knee
    I had a drz400s for a couple years. I really liked it, but had to sell it, or my old jet boat. I figured since they still made the bike it would be easier to replace, but so far I haven't. I did pick up a CRF250L and liked it too. But it wouldn't like 45.. I had a 1200 sportster for awhile that made 75/75. I really miss it. But couldn't possibly shift that trans with my F'ed up foot.
    I've ridden some crotch rockets, but never owned one as a life preserving measure. They used to say that if I wanted to wreck a bike in a way I hadn't before, I'd have to make something new up since I'd already tried all the known ways. I'm a decent rider. But I tend to push things further than I should. That's a lot safer on a 250 or a 400
    I don't know that decent rider is a title I can claim. Pushing things further than I should is definitely one I can claim though!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

I had a DR400 back in the 80s.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Hey Bud! Glad you found the site.

We hit the Fish Pond in Willis for breakfast (5 stars) , then went up your way towards Madisonville looking at that property you mentioned. I sure like it up there where you're at.

We are overdue for a get-together so try to get to next one. Maybe Fish Pond?
    Idk, I'm awful busy with this big mechanic project I found.. I've got most of the stuff out of the way, but that turbo really is buried in there. I may have to drop the subframe yet. I'm waiting for the parts before I do much more.
    Did you find the property? It's just 8 or 10 min from here..

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It was so flat there you could see a town 15 miles away.
    Kinda like where I live now.

I liked Benton. I hate big cities, and Benton felt very homelike in the time I spent there, and the people seemed grounded. Very unlike the people of Chicago, been there too many times, which I think was three times.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Kinda like where I live now.

I liked Benton. I hate big cities, and Benton felt very homelike in the time I spent there, and the people seemed grounded. Very unlike the people of Chicago, been there too many times, which I think was three times.
    I lived 40+ years there and only made it into Chicago propper once. The closest town to me was 400 people. And I worked in one less than 30k.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    400 single cylinder on/off road.
    The Drz400 was a new model released in the year 2000. The DR 350 and 650 were available sometime in the late 80s, early 90s. The Drz was a hot rodded version with water cooling and a dry sump oil system. Now Honda had several versions of 400cc enduros in the 80s..

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Well, I actually live 20 miles from town now, work and shop there, but don't want to live there.
    Yep. My family here is down in the Woodlands. They keep trying to talk me into a city job (Houston). I think I'll stay out here in the country.
    The place we sold in IL was a mile, as the crow flies, from any other humans. Near 2 on the road. But that's part of why we got burglarized repeatedly.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Top Bottom