• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Good evening.. I met a member here that suggested that I should join up. Yes, we're transplants, but I think we'll fit in fine here in TX. We shot some steel challenge back home, hoping to work some in here sometime soon. Looks like there's a match over by Navasota somewhere, hoping there's more around. Though we might wait till it's a bit cooler...
    Anyway, here I am. And hello @Lead Belly

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    My family down here had been trying to get me to move down for about 20 years. The stars finally aligned, and here we are. We've been here for awhile getting things worked out, now it's nearly time to get back to work. But there are more job opportunities on 75 between Huntsville and Conroe than there was in my whole dang county..

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    My family down here had been trying to get me to move down for about 20 years. The stars finally aligned, and here we are. We've been here for awhile getting things worked out, now it's nearly time to get back to work. But there are more job opportunities on 75 between Huntsville and Conroe than there was in my whole dang county..
    Southern Illinois is great country, would be a wonderful place if'n it weren't for Chicago voters making the laws.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Southern Illinois is great country, would be a wonderful place if'n it weren't for Chicago voters making the laws.
    Yes. My family has been farming the same dirt up there since 1872. But the governor is a douchebag and the assault weapon ban was just one step too far. Most downstate cops won't enforce it. But all it takes is a neighbor that can count rounds, and the number for the state police, and your going to jail.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Yes. My family has been farming the same dirt up there since 1872. But the governor is a douchebag and the assault weapon ban was just one step too far. Most downstate cops won't enforce it. But all it takes is a neighbor that can count rounds, and the number for the state police, and your going to jail.
    It's a damn shame.
    Anyhow, welcome in. I hope to see you around sometime.
    As long as you stay away from @Coiled you'll be alright.
    There are several of us in the general area, so if you have questions, ask away.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    It's a damn shame.
    Anyhow, welcome in. I hope to see you around sometime.
    As long as you stay away from @Coiled you'll be alright.
    Thanks.. it's nice to have a way to meet some folks. We've been holed up here in the ranch for months. The locals I have met have been pretty great. But it hasn't been many. I'm too old for the bar scene, and we keep forgetting that church is at 5 in the evening..

letsget86d

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2024
    Fort Bended Knee
    Welcome! I am new to the forum as well.

I lived in Huntsville for 3-4 years and but moved away a couple years ago to be closer to family on the SW side of Houston. If it weren't for being 2 hours away from my family I could see myself living in Huntsville for the rest of my life.

I highly suggest you consider buying a motorcycle if you don't already own one and making it a point to "get lost" just outside of Huntsville. I've clocked ~20,000 miles all within a 75 mile radius of Huntsville. Definitely one of the biggest things I miss about the place.

Make sure you stop by Mr. Hamburger along the way too.

Ables Gun Club is also cool, just a touch expensive.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Welcome! I am new to the forum as well.

I lived in Huntsville for 3-4 years and but moved away a couple years ago to be closer to family on the SW side of Houston. If it weren't for being 2 hours away from my family I could see myself living in Huntsville for the rest of my life.

I highly suggest you consider buying a motorcycle if you don't already own one and making it a point to "get lost" just outside of Huntsville. I've clocked ~20,000 miles all within a 75 mile radius of Huntsville. Definitely one of the biggest things I miss about the place.

Make sure you stop by Mr. Hamburger along the way too.

Ables Gun Club is also cool, just a touch expensive.
    I've been getting the bike itch since we've been here. I sold all mine a couple years ago.
    The only thing keeping me from it, besides the money is that I have one of those One wheels, and ride it when I get itchy.
    We tried Mr Hamburger once, but may have hit an off night. It wasn't "bad", but it didn't leave me wanting more. We'll try it again sometime, when we run out of "new" places to try. There's more restaurants in Huntsville than there were in the whole 3 county region I used to live and service call. Ables is very cool. But yes, they seem to be proud of their stuff. But with that location, they probably have to work a little harder to pay the bills..

letsget86d

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2024
    Fort Bended Knee
    I've been getting the bike itch since we've been here. I sold all mine a couple years ago.
    We tried Mr Hamburger once, but may have hit an off night. It wasn't "bad", but it didn't leave me wanting more. We'll try it again sometime, when we run out of "new" places to try. There's more restaurants in Huntsville than there were in the whole 3 county region I used to live and service call. Ables is very cool. But yes, they seem to be proud of their stuff. But with that location, they probably have to work a little harder to pay the bills..
    It's tough to hear that someone did not instantly fall in love with Mr. Hamburger.... but then again, my standards for restaurants are pretty low. Pretty much every place that my family/friends think is trash is a place I think is amazing. A proper greasy spoon is what Mr. Hamburger is to me and I just love greasy spoon joints.

Most definitely get yourself a bike again!!!! Draw a circle 75-100 miles out from the center of Huntsville and go crazy inside the circle.

If you are looking for a bike, the folks at Big D and Jack Rabbit right there in Huntsville might be able to help. South of Huntsville there is Cycle Shack North on I45 and Motorcycles Unlimited on FM 1960.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    It's tough to hear that someone did not instantly fall in love with Mr. Hamburger.... but then again, my standards for restaurants are pretty low. Pretty much every place that my family/friends think is trash is a place I think is amazing. A proper greasy spoon is what Mr. Hamburger is to me and I just love greasy spoon joints.

Most definitely get yourself a bike again!!!! Draw a circle 75-100 miles out from the center of Huntsville and go crazy inside the circle.

If you are looking for a bike, the folks at Big D and Jack Rabbit right there in Huntsville might be able to help. South of Huntsville there is Cycle Shack North on I45 and Motorcycles Unlimited on FM 1960.
    Every place has an off night. I'll try it again. But it was a snowball effect. We were already hungry, coming back from a long weekend in Houston. It was 20 some minutes before the food was ready. We had the dog in the truck, so we brought it home to eat, only to find out the order was wrong. We weren't mad, and didn't bitch. But I haven't been back for a 2nd round yet.
    As for bikes, I've been to cycleshack to pick up a 4 wheeler for my family. It's a nice place, but I'm generally not a dealership buyer. I've bought 2 new bikes in my life, and lost my ass on both of them. It all comes down to where I end up working. If I can get there without getting on 45, I'll probably have one fairly quickly.
    Hell, after Illinois, I'll be riding to work all winter long..

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    I looked long and hard at a CB500x with the Enduro conversion when we got here. It had racetech suspension, and some other goodies for cheap. But when there isn't any money coming in, it's tough to spend it.

Top Bottom