• TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Need help finding new career
    Weren't you saying the same thing like a year ago? :laughing:

Maybe find something you can build into your own business? Handyman? Welder? Fence painter? Getting the cert for A/C isn't hard, although you've kinda missed the rush this season.

Are you a good problem solver and have technical aptitude? If so I could probably teach you everything you need to know for basic network troubleshooting in a day. Entry level jobs range $15-18/hr. Not so entry level jobs requiring just a year or two of experience are good money. No sunburns and the A/C is always cold ;)

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Just wanting ideas been applying to all sorts of shit have an interview tomorrow at gander.

I've applied to railroad stuff, but always get passed over. Still keep applying though.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Just wanting ideas been applying to all sorts of shit have an interview tomorrow at gander.

I've applied to railroad stuff, but always get passed over. Still keep applying though.

Do you smoke or use an y tobacco products? If you do, do not answer yes on the application. It will get you passed up immediately. A lot of people smoke and dip out here but you cannot say yes on the job application.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    https://up.jobs/search-jobs.html?ke...tonio,TX&state=TX&zipcode=&deptIds=&hrngType=

Here's 19 in TX. Some are IT but 2 are train crew in San Antonio and Houston. It says 40,000 a year. I've been with UP less than 2 years and the board I'm on is guaranteed
    91,464 a year. You will bust guarantee. Everything is based off seniority so it can be a little rough at first. You put in bids for yards and train crews and people above you will bounce you around. You pay into railroad retirement and not social security and receive many great benefits. KEEP APPLYING!!!

Last edited:

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    No problem. If you have or are going to apply for train crew on San Antonio, pm me your full name. I don't know how much help it would be but I can try to get ahold of someone in HR and put in a good word for you.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Yes, That's where I started. You go into training and once you come out you are a licensed conductor/switch man/brake man and one year from that date you are eligible to bid on engineer training to "run" the train.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Are you good building things or doing maintenance? You will always make more money working for yourself than someone else. Paint houses, or do other maintenance work. I am rebuilding the fence around my house, and have people coming to me right and left for fence work.

Top Bottom