• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I took a 3700 mile road trip in August in a BMW 230i and averaged 37 over the trip, and I drove 75 to 80 most of the trip. It is amazing the fuel mileage modern cars can achieve

Haven’t taken a super long trip in it yet, but 40 miles of highway driving in the wife’s suburban showed an indicated 22 mpg...impressed the hell outta me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have to drive about 80 miles a day, 4-5 days a week for my new job, and the old 96' Silverado is killing me on gas. It's getting probably around 14-16 MPH on the highway.
    Under $10,000
    $10k will buy 3.3 years worth of gas for your Silverado. Just sayin...

Anytime someone asks me to recommend them a good cheap vehicle, my first recommendation is usually a Silverado just like yours. They will balk at the mileage or it being a pickup...

So I'll then recommend they buy the lowest mileage 3-series BMW they can afford. Well then they bitch about maintenance costs or reliability; which is why I recommended the Chevy in the first place.

Then I'll tell them to just go buy a Camry like every other American, and don't ever talk to me about cars again.

So let us know what color your new Camry is ;)

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Or, in another 5 years you will have a 28 year old pickup with another 92k on it. If it lasts that long.
    Oh, it will. I had almost 250k on my '98 1500 when I sold it. Sure I had to fix things here and there along the way, but nothing major. The great thing about Chevy parts is they are cheap. The bad thing about Chevy parts is they are cheap.

Dodge Dart is a reskinned Fiat.
    Technically a re-skinned Alfa Romeo Giulietta, although the Dart sold here only got either the 1.4T FIAT engine or Chrysler engine. Both engines are made in Dundee, MI... The Italian versions are actually more reliable :laughing:

I want a car with a decent amount of space/storage, one that won't leave me stranded, and one that's fun to drive. I'm going to be driving this thing around 8 hours a week. I might as well get something I actually enjoy driving.
    Ok, 3-series BMW. With a manual. It'll be comfortable on top of being fun.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Anytime someone asks me to recommend them a good cheap vehicle, my first recommendation is usually a Silverado just like yours. They will balk at the mileage or it being a pickup...

So I'll then recommend they buy the lowest mileage 3-series BMW they can afford. Well then they bitch about maintenance costs or reliability; which is why I recommended the Chevy in the first place.

Then I'll tell them to just go buy a Camry like every other American, and don't ever talk to me about cars again.

The fact that I could buy an almost brand new car with just what I'll spend in gas going to and from work (just work, no where else) over the next 3 years is a pretty good argument for getting something else. That, and it's not actually my truck, it's a long term loaner.

And yes, I will bitch about the maintenance cost and reliability of the BMW. I may or may not buy a Camry. :p

As of now, I am looking into the 2017 Focus, the Camry, the Accord, the Jetta, the MAZDA3, the Impreza (not the one with the rebuild title), and the Fusion.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Would agree with several others that your safest most reliable bet of the ones you've mentioned is either the Toyota or Honda. Since you seem to like it better, I'd go with an Accord. Could always look at a Tacoma if you wanted another truck, but probably pushing the price point a bit for one that's new enough without a ton of miles on it. Bought a 2001 for my middle son a few years back when he got his license and it had around 175K on it then and runs like a top and will for as long as he owns it.

Where in SE OK? Been going up there for over 20 yrs.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I'm just really not feeling the Corolla. I've looked at them again, and I just can't find one I like enough to spend 10K on. I'll look at some in person, but I just don't think that car is for me.

Back to the Scion tC I suggested a few pages back ;)

Like a Corolla, but fun!

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Would agree with several others that your safest most reliable bet of the ones you've mentioned is either the Toyota or Honda. Since you seem to like it better, I'd go with an Accord. Could always look at a Tacoma if you wanted another truck, but probably pushing the price point a bit for one that's new enough without a ton of miles on it. Bought a 2001 for my middle son a few years back when he got his license and it had around 175K on it then and runs like a top and will for as long as he owns it.

Where in SE OK? Been going up there for over 20 yrs.

The Accord isn't looking too bad right now.

I live in Pushmataha County, but work in Choctaw County. I was born in Fort Worth, spent most of my childhood here, and spent my teen years in Lamar County Texas (Paris and Reno). I've been in Smith County (Tyler) the last few years for college.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Hell, for better MPG only get a motorcycle. I have a Honda CTX1300 V4 that tops 45 mpg on the highway. Bought it hardly used for $9k

But you have to be smart enough to watch the weather. I can't count the times I've driven by some poor fool on a bike in the pouring down rain. I was in the Marines and have done things I'd rather not do again. I can spot absolutely miserable when I see it.

And that's without even getting into trying to avoid texting drivers and such, but your point on MPG only is a valid one. A bicycle would be even better and cheaper, but also not always practical.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

I'll bet you 10,000 dollars right now my corolla will outlive your Silverado :-)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I personally decided a while ago that physics dictated a bigger vehicle.

I got in a wreck where an F-150 had her tires within arms reach of me on my hood and she only hit me at about 35 MPH.

Did some math and said 15 MPG loss was acceptable for me and the family. And purchased an 03 suburban. It has paid off 3 times with the wife driving. Plus NO one will ever steal it. And I don’t give a flying hoot that my kids trash it.

I also wouldn’t touch a Mazda if it was the last vehicle on the planet. My then girl friend was given a Mazda 6 by her dad. He bought it new against my advise.

We got married it was now mine I did two transmissions, AC system, and a few other major repairs on it. And sold it with 130k miles on it for 2500 bucks. I felt guilty for ripping them off.

BUT if you’re dead set on a commuter car buy Japanese. Honda, Toyota or their fancy cousins.

Had a friend just pickup a what is essentially an Avalon for 4500 bucks. 200k miles. All the bells and whistles from 10 years ago. Comfortable enough and still running strong.

I’d stay away from any “domestic” auto particularly fords.

But personally find an F-150. My V8 gets 20 MPG it’s tall you’re head isn’t 45” above the ground when you’re driving and quite frankly it’s a lot better on wet roads.

My old ram 2500 gasser has close to 300k on it. And folks still use it as a daily driver. Nothing major just some part swapping on alternators starters and emissions crap.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    But you have to be smart enough to watch the weather. I can't count the times I've driven by some poor fool on a bike in the pouring down rain. I was in the Marines and have done things I'd rather not do again. I can spot absolutely miserable when I see it.

And that's without even getting into trying to avoid texting drivers and such, but your point on MPG only is a valid one. A bicycle would be even better and cheaper, but also not always practical.
    You are so right. I prefer not riding in the rain, but with proper gear it isn't bad. Still, if I knew it thought it was going to rain I'd take the car

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The fact that I could buy an almost brand new car with just what I'll spend in gas going to and from work (just work, no where else) over the next 3 years is a pretty good argument for getting something else. That, and it's not actually my truck, it's a long term loaner.
    ...but you still have to buy gas for the new car on top of that. The best value car is almost always the one you already own. It makes more sense that it isn't actually your car ;)

And yes, I will bitch about the maintenance cost and reliability of the BMW. I may or may not buy a Camry. :p

As of now, I am looking into the 2017 Focus, the Camry, the Accord, the Jetta, the MAZDA3, the Impreza (not the one with the rebuild title), and the Fusion.
    The Jetta will have the same maintenance costs and slightly less reliablity than a 3-series BMW. A Subaru will have worse reliablity, but at least the maintenance will be cheaper. Mazda is ok, but Toyota would be much better. The Focus is kind of a cheap car. Cost being the same, I would get something else. Don't know anything about the Fusion...

I'll bet you 10,000 dollars right now my corolla will outlive your Silverado :-)
    I sold it a few years ago. I'm sure if the right person bought it, it's still going. I wouldn't bet against a Corolla, tho... How many miles do you have on yours?

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    The Accord isn't looking too bad right now.

I live in Pushmataha County, but work in Choctaw County. I was born in Fort Worth, spent most of my childhood here, and spent my teen years in Lamar County Texas (Paris and Reno). I've been in Smith County (Tyler) the last few years for college.

Well familiar with Pushmataha.....exactly where we've been going. My best friend's folks bought a place in the Kiamichi Wilderness just past Moyers back in the mid '90s and been going up there with them ever since. Quiet, secluded, beautiful, great views, room to roam and explore for the adults and kids. Countless great times up there and one of my favorite places on earth.

Top Bottom