• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have to drive about 80 miles a day, 4-5 days a week for my new job, and the old 96' Silverado is killing me on gas. It's getting probably around 14-16 MPH on the highway. It's time for something new.

Here's what I'm looking for.

30+ MPG on the highway
    Under $10,000
    Less than 100,000 miles, preferably less than 50,000 if it's close to maxing out my budget
    4 door sedan or hatchback
    No older than 2010, preferably newer.
    Reliable and low maintenance
    Preferably something kind of sporty, or at least sporty looking.

I've looked at quite a few cars already, but very few are really getting me exited. One I keep coming back to is the 2017 Ford Focus SE Hatchback. The previous year models (IIRC, 2012-2016) had horrible tranny issues, but they seem to have fixed it in the 2017 model. There's a 2017 not to far from me with 46,000 miles for $9,000.

My first car was a 2003 Focus SE, and I loved that little thing. It might not of had much power, but man was that a nice handling car. Driving it for even long periods was stupidly easy and comfortable. I found myself in a no win situation and ended up rolling it down an embankment outside of Quitman Texas a few years back. I miss that car. :(

The Dodge Dart has also caught my eye, but I know very little about them.

Any suggestions?

5165054_04814_2017-ford-focus_001.jpg
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• 5165054_04814_2017-ford-focus_001.jpg
      5165054_04814_2017-ford-focus_001.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 442

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have always preferred the Fusion over the Focus just for the fact they are a little bigger. The Fusion is a good looking car in my opinion.

I have had a few as rentals over the years and really liked them.

That being said, I have never been in the car market long enough to really have much of an opinion on any of them. We are generally Ford people so always lean towards them.

We do own an older Honda Accord that the kids used as a starter vehicle and have no complaints with it either. There is a reason they have the reputation that they do. Definitely worth a look.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I've owned a lot of Focis when I did long commutes. The issue with the model you're at looking at is faulty transmissions. Buy the sister version - the Mazda 3 hatchback. It has the same frame and actually has FoMoCo stamped on the brakes but the engine, tranny and body are Mazda. I was commuting 125 miles per day until I move last summer and was getting 37-41mpg. I've owned several Mazdas and the wife still has a CX-5 with absolutely no issues.

Now that I no longer commute long distances and work from home most days, I bought a toy (Wrangler).

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Dodge Dart is a reskinned Fiat. It was a sales disaster, not just here but also globally, and for good reason: it’s a terrible car.

Focus is ok, stay away from the Powershift dual-clutch automatic. It was finally replaced with a conventional automatic around 2017-ish, so do yourself homework there.

I would go with a Civic or Corolla. These are cars that will run forever, with plenty of used supply to keep prices low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    As I said in one of the other threads, I sold my 1996 F250 7.3 to buy a 2015 VW Passat TDI. 42 mpg hwy is really nice and that diesel has loads of torque! If you can find a Passat or Jetta TDI in your price range, you might take a good look at it.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I currently have a Mazda 2 as my daily driver/work car. I'm almost at 100k and have had absolutely zero issues. The other nice thing is the maintenance is really easy and cheap to do yourself. I will probably keep it until it dies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Toyota,Subaru,Honda,Nissan. Anything else is a total crapshoot in the used car market.

Stick with a Toyota. Don't go for the tiny punishment boxes.

I'm driving a 2011 of this:

https://www.carmax.com/car/17712079

Added a decent stereo and GPS. Put on a new set of tires when I bought it with 60k miles, and another 40k miles down the road. Replaced shocks, brake pads and battery since they were still factory original (so were the tires it came with), and had to top off coolant fluid twice in 5 years.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I've looked at quite a few cars already, but very few are really getting me exited. One I keep coming back to is the 2017 Ford Focus SE Hatchback. The previous year models (IIRC, 2012-2016) had horrible tranny issues, but they seem to have fixed it in the 2017 model. There's a 2017 not to far from me with 46,000 miles for $9,000.

My first car was a 2003 Focus SE, and I loved that little thing. It might not of had much power, but man was that a nice handling car. Driving it for even long periods was stupidly easy and comfortable. I found myself in a no win situation and ended up rolling it down an embankment outside of Quitman Texas a few years back. I miss that car.
    I like the Focus line, too. I had a 2005 5-speed that had almost 140k on it when our kid got t-boned in it. He loved that car like it was family. I bought my daughter a 2008 (auto) and she has been very happy with it. I'd say that if you like the car and are confident they have fixed the tranny issues, then go for it (I also had a coworker who bought a NEW one that did have transmission glitches (don't recall year; maybe 2016?). I'd want to be darn sure they are fixed. Do they still make a manual?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My wife has a 2015 Equinox with over 100k on it. Oil changes and 2nd set of tires is it for maintenance. I was pleasantly surprised how well it has lasted. Probably bigger than you want.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Maintenance aside, driving 80 miles a day in a car that gets twice the gas mileage of your truck would save you $40 a week at $3/gal. It would take 250 weeks or 4.8 years for that to equal $10,000.

Put another way, losing the truck saves you $160/mo for a car payment, if you believe in financing. Anything over that is costing you money, not saving. (Depreciation aside.)

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Maintenance aside, driving 80 miles a day in a car that gets twice the gas mileage of your truck would save you $40 a week at $3/gal. It would take 250 weeks or 4.8 years for that to equal $10,000.

Put another way, losing the truck saves you $160/mo for a car payment, if you believe in financing. Anything over that is costing you money, not saving. (Depreciation aside.)
    You may want to look at the economic side of things. As Mr. Colt says you will only save $40 per week on gas. And insurance on a newer car is going to be more than a 1996 vintage vehicle. If you are trading in the '96 it may save you some.

That being said, I would stay away from the Focus, only bad news from those I know that own one. Same goes for the small GM and Chrysler stuff. Go with Toyota or Honda. When I was employed, prior to retirement, they provided me with a Toyota Camry. It averaged 31 mpg over a 4 year period. Plenty of room and power. Corolla is smaller and has less get up and go.

Just my $.02

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

For sure

We can go deeper down that path...other costs to consider:
    Value of the truck, and depreciation when racking up miles.
    Then compare this math to value & depreciation for the car.
    (I don’t think we should set depreciation aside because it can be the most expensive part of vehicle ownership).

Cost of truck vs car maintenance, including cost of consumables like brake pads, tires.

Insurance costs.
    Not just truck vs car, but adding the additional vehicle to the policy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

You may want to look at the economic side of things. As Mr. Colt says you will only save $40 per week on gas. And insurance on a newer car is going to be more than a 1996 vintage vehicle. If you are trading in the '96 it may save you some.

That being said, I would stay away from the Focus, only bad news from those I know that own one. Same goes for the small GM and Chrysler stuff. Go with Toyota or Honda. When I was employed, prior to retirement, they provided me with a Toyota Camry. It averaged 31 mpg over a 4 year period. Plenty of room and power. Corolla is smaller and has less get up and go.

Just my $.02

Or, in another 5 years you will have a 28 year old pickup with another 92k on it. If it lasts that long.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    My last truck - a Ram 2500 CC 4x4 cost me $4k over 4 years - bought for $14k, sold for $10k. Sold it to upsize to a Ram 3500 CC 4x4. 9-13 mpg, but it's got a utility bed and lift gate on it, and for my business purposes, does the job perfectly. That 5.7 liter engine is a solid worker - I'll likely be driving it until my final retirement. The toughest part was finding the truck w/a gas engine - I don't do diesel because I just don't tow anything.

3500-2.JPG

Attachments

• 3500-2.JPG
      3500-2.JPG
      1.8 MB · Views: 483
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members