• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Chemical Resistant Chemical Coating (CARC) paint jobs are not meant to defeat radar. They are simply designed to be able to be cleaned after exposure to chemical or biological warfare. The paint is resistant to damage by decontamination agents.

You must wear a full body suit with respirator when applying paint jobs. To remove the paint, you need the same PPE combined with a top notch filtration system for your shop.

I love CARC paint....but don't recommend it to anyone not working from a proper shop.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Chemical Resistant Chemical Coating (CARC) paint jobs are not meant to defeat radar. They are simply designed to be able to be cleaned after exposure to chemical or biological warfare. The paint is resistant to damage by decontamination agents.

You must wear a full body suit with respirator when applying paint jobs. To remove the paint, you need the same PPE combined with a top notch filtration system for your shop.

I love CARC paint....but don't recommend it to anyone not working from a proper shop.
    Good info. Thanks SJ.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Here's a random fun fact about your truck:

Those camo paint jobs aren't just random blobs of color thrown together. They're precisely painted so if body parts need to be replaced, they come ready to be a perfect match or so you can take from another truck to get yours going (not preferred, but it happens). So when they come to the shop needing to be sanded down for metal work, or if you need to install a flat olive drab panel, or if you're even going from tan back to camo green - we use a clear template put on a projector and project the pattern from a predetermined distance so everything will be sized properly. From there, on some templates they tell you what color goes where and other templates require you to pull out a book for color placement.

I always thought that was interesting once I learned it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Here's a random fun fact about your truck:

Those camo paint jobs aren't just random blobs of color thrown together. They're precisely painted so if body parts need to be replaced, they come ready to be a perfect match or so you can take from another truck to get yours going (not preferred, but it happens). So when they come to the shop needing to be sanded down for metal work, or if you need to install a flat olive drab panel, or if you're even going from tan back to camo green - we use a clear template put on a projector and project the pattern from a predetermined distance so everything will be sized properly. From there, on some templates they tell you what color goes where and other templates require you to pull out a book for color placement.

I always thought that was interesting once I learned it.
    I knew the camo pattern was the same on all the trucks, but had no idea how they did it.

More good info sir.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You need to get a set of headlights like these Bigun, would look mean on that beast!
    newCamaroLEDCCFLRSHeadlightHaloPack.jpg
    Don't need them Greg. I have black out lights for driving in pitch black using night vision.

You know, that way I can sneak up on people..............

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My local Walmart ran out of black camo paint so I grabbed flat black regular paint. They are definitely not the same even though they are both Rustoleum 2x. The camo paint says it is super flat and they are night and day different. The black camo paint has no shine at all.

Just something to note if you ever want to paint something with a really super flat finish.

The Behr paint I am using has no shine to it either.

The picture was taken with the flash on.

6732b87ad60b30a0329834cc0fbfd8eb.jpg
    Another thing I wanted to mention about the differences in these paints. The camo paint dries very quickly. You really have to lay it on thick to have any runs. Regular spray paint runs pretty easily and you have to be careful and use very light coats. Not with the camo paints.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Have you tried paint with the hardened that TSC sells? I've been wondering if it's any good. TSC has the hardner in small cans on a rack. I've never used it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Have you tried paint with the hardened that TSC sells? I've been wondering if it's any good. TSC has the hardner in small cans on a rack. I've never used it.
    No. Is that spray or cans?

With the recommendation of many members on another forum and my experience with Rustoleum I didn't want to gamble on something different. I know I have good paint.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's an isocyanate hardner for enamel paints. Comes in a can half the size of a beer can. I ask cause non hardening paint scratches off easy going through brush. I think the pot life is like 2 hours. It's a generic hardner for TSC's line of farm paints.

Been wanting to try it.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    I'd stick with something like Rustoleum that's readily available at any Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc., just in case you ever need to touch something up. Or, if you ever sell it, I would think "touch-up paint available at any local walmart or home improvement store" would be a benefit. Stay away from the specialized paints.

That's a straight-up righteous ride.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    More painting done today. I consider the truck pretty much done besides a little touch up.

I still have to paint the rims, troop seats and headache rack, interior of the cab, and do something with the undercarriage. Besides that though........

Today was spent painting the mirrors and reinstalling them, putting the spare tire back up, finishing up the intake stack and air filter container, and removing the troop seats and headache rack.

The truck is ready to drive again so that is a big win for me. It has sat for three weeks or so torn apart to some degree or another. I started it to move it and it fired right up. That is always a win too.

I think it looks dang good. Work is looking to get busy again so this may be it for a while. But who knows.

b5b79e7e6e4197d2eaf77ac237ce3e34.jpg

895ef78810dc41af7a591b4719cfe6c7.jpg

bd800fa923a2ceb53836340dbd0e42d1.jpg

ebc21e8be2be4a5d08237fcd23652f42.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies