• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So I have been dealing with a rough ride from day one. These heavy trucks sit so long on these tires that they develope flat spots. Sometimes just heating them up while driving or changing the air pressure will help but mine have had no noticeable improvement.

I have searched in vain to find a shop to shave them. Nobody around does it besides for retreading.

Replacing them isn't a valid option because of cost and mine have good tread yet too. Even these big tires new can be out of round so I may just end up in the same situation.

After seeing how other people shave them at home I made my own setup. I haven't seen anyone else do it like this but figured it would work.

Ok, I shaved 4 of my 6 tires yesterday with great success. I just ran out of time and will do the other two today.

The decent tires took about an hour each. The rough ones about two hours each.

I believe my setup is very simple and worked well. I took a beat up old sliding compound miter box that my dad had and adapted it. This saw flips both ways so the motor is up high and out of the way. This worked well as I could do one rear tire and flip the saw to do the other. All I really did was take the back off the sliding bars, pull the saw unit out, and slide it in the back. The saw itself is pinned down in the put away position. Then I strapped the base to a tool box for support. Jack up the axle, set the saw, and go.

I figured the slider would come in handy for adjustments but I didn't really use it. It was needed for depth clearance though. To adjust it I just moved the tool box. Light kicks to the box made cutting a little deeper easy to do.

I also followed the round profile of the tire. I didn't just go straight across. With my kicking the back of the box over for depth adjustments this was kind of a natural movement of the unit so that worked well too.

I just set the saw to shave the highest points on one edge of the tire and then kicked the back of the tool box over to cut a little deeper. Once it just barely shaved the lowest points then I pushed the unit in a little further (1/2" or 3/4") and started again.

Just take your time and don't get too agressive with the depth of cut. You don't want the saw to grab the tire and pull itself in or cut a big gouge out of the tire. Nice and easy.

I tilted the saw a little to give myself about a 45° cut on the tire surface and spun the tire into the blade (as opposed to away from the blade). I tried both and into the blade gave me better, smoother, and faster results.

I am very happy with the results of the setup and its simplicity. Besides rubber dust everywhere the saw can be returned to normal service.

I really hopes this helps somebody with the same issues. I know I had two tires that lost atleast 1/4" of tread off the high areas, and maybe more. I still feel like I will need to experiment with balancing fixes but this is a major step in smoothing out the ride.

2b37a2791bf2d90baa99ca6af446fba9.jpg

13222b04f6b64103debd63ccfc970631.jpg

BTW, this saw is available to anybody that could use it for this type of project. I don't want to deal with shipping it but it is free to come pick up and borrow.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I believe the vibrations from the tire issues are wearing out some of the axle seals. Age doesn't help either. I have noticed an increase of minor leaks at the pinions but didn't want to replace the seals until I tame the ride as much as possible.

My next trip home (if time allows) is going to include replacing these parts:

ca23880edc43ad0de2b17a07d5580fbf.jpg

The front boots are torn (pretty common problem and probably not related to the ride issues). I ordered two new boots with clamps and the axle seals behind them if needed. I won't know until I tear it apart but they were cheap enough to get. This will also allow me to inspect the bearings and brakes up front but they seem to be ok.

I also ordered 7 new pinion seals. I believe the ride has had some effect on them. Those big drive shafts bouncing around can't be good for the seals. They may seal up again once the vibrations are tamed but they are also fairly easy to replace. There are two seals per axle and the transfer case uses the same seal. There are also some leaking gaskets too that I will address while under there.

2adae4a89fb26df86e2e181c80589e11.jpg

I am also going to change all the oils in the axles, transfer case, and transmission. Part of fixing the little leaks is so I can pressure wash and degrease the undercarriage to prep it for paint.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Very cool. She'll ride like a Caddy now!

That's quite a mess too.
    Oh yeah, it goes everywhere. I do have a few little helpers to help with some clean up. I am glad it isn't sticky though, just more like dust.

I don't know about riding like a Cadillac, but if I can atleast step up to "riding like an old lumber truck" I will be happy. ;) At times it feels more like bull riding.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I believe the vibrations from the tire issues are wearing out some of the axle seals. Age doesn't help either. I have noticed an increase of minor leaks at the pinions but didn't want to replace the seals until I tame the ride as much as possible.

My next trip home (if time allows) is going to include replacing these parts:

ca23880edc43ad0de2b17a07d5580fbf.jpg

The front boots are torn (pretty common problem and probably not related to the ride issues). I ordered two new boots with clamps and the axle seals behind them if needed. I won't know until I tear it apart but they were cheap enough to get. This will also allow me to inspect the bearings and brakes up front but they seem to be ok.

I also ordered 7 new pinion seals. I believe the ride has had some effect on them. Those big drive shafts bouncing around can't be good for the seals. They may seal up again once the vibrations are tamed but they are also fairly easy to replace. There are two seals per axle and the transfer case uses the same seal. There are also some leaking gaskets too that I will address while under there.

2adae4a89fb26df86e2e181c80589e11.jpg

I am also going to change all the oils in the axles, transfer case, and transmission. Part of fixing the little leaks is so I can pressure wash and degrease the undercarriage to prep it for paint.

It's an MV. If it ain't leaking, it's out of oil.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It is funny you mention that.

In my research I found a lot of guys recommending a 3 minute burnout to fix out of round tires. That didn't seem like a viable option for this situation.
    You should try it....and have the cameras rolling. You need a tripod?? Maybe a blast resistant camera box for a good rear ground shot?? ;)

Top Bottom