• ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That was my take -

First guy is dead because he was slow to draw.
    Second guy was dead because he was too slow to do anything.
    Security guard was slow too, but had distance and made his one shot count.

First guy drawing demonstrated how long it takes to do so from concealed carry. Second guy was too close to the shooter to react and appeared to be unarmed. The security guard shot when the opportunity allowed it. I would not consider him "slow" simply because he didn't have a clear shot at the target, I think he did absolutely the best anyone could.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    First guy drawing demonstrated how long it takes to do so from concealed carry.

Seemed the gun was way back and hard to get to.

Second guy was too close to the shooter to react and appeared to be unarmed.

No such thing as too close to react. He was textbook condition white and had no clue what was happening or what to do.

The security guard shot when the opportunity allowed it. I would not consider him "slow" simply because he didn't have a clear shot at the target, I think he did absolutely the best anyone could.

Security guard did not have gun out till 2 people were shot. I call that slow, YMMV.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It also seems the fact the shooter got up when nobody should be getting up (as opposed to when communion is distributed), allowed all the attention to be focused on him. It looked like Security Guard was watching him whole time.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Seemed the gun was way back and hard to get to.

Which is a way many people conceal carry. It's obvious he was also having trouble getting past his clothing to get to the weapon.
    No such thing as too close to react. He was textbook condition white and had no clue what was happening or what to do.

The shooter caught him off-guard, and at that range his only option would have been to charge the shooter, but that's an unnatural act for most people when confronted by a lethal threat. Despite the bold comments of many on here, I strongly believe most of us (myself included) couldn't done any better outside of their own pure fantasies!
    Security guard did not have gun out till 2 people were shot. I call that slow, YMMV.

OK, Bobby Badass, his draw was a little slow but he had to contend with a lot of panicking people between him and the shooter, and he never took his eyes off the shooter. He also hit him on the first shot at a fair distance against a moving target. I doubt you would have done any better.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It also seems the fact the shooter got up when nobody should be getting up (as opposed to when communion is distributed), allowed all the attention to be focused on him. It looked like Security Guard was watching him whole time.

Wow, you're quite the Monday Morning Quarterback! I really can't wait to see how well you will react if you ever find yourself in such circumstances!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The shooter caught him off-guard,

Yes that is why it is called condition white.

OK, Bobby Badass, his draw was a little slow but he had to contend with a lot of panicking people between him and the shooter, and he never took his eyes off the shooter. He also hit him on the first shot at a fair distance against a moving target. I doubt you would have done any better.

LOL. Instead of observing what happened with an eye to learn from it, lets make it personal and call folks names and then claim they could not have done better. So helpful....

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Given how crowded the place was, the best thing the guard probably could have done was to take the time necessary to aim properly and take a single shot.
    ALWAYS strive to make the first shot count. You may not get a second.
    At least the shooter did not get a third.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The first guy shot did seem to have trouble clearing his clothing.

However, that was one very brave man. He knew full well he was going to be shot and he kept trying to draw. I know some on this board don't think that kind of bravery exists, but it does. And he displayed it. He has my admiration.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The first guy shot did seem to have trouble clearing his clothing.

However, that was one very brave man. He knew full well he was going to be shot and he kept trying to draw. I know some on this board don't think that kind of bravery exists, but it does. And he displayed it. He has my admiration.

Yep, he seemed to be first to see, understand threat and take action. He was just in a bad set of circumstances (seated, close), to be able to effectively get it done.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Monday morning quarterbacking aside, the response seemed to be about as good as could be expected given the action took place at an extreme corner of the sanctuary where only a small number of folks could see the few seconds leading up to the first shot.

Given the element of surprise, stopping the gunman from firing the first shot would have been improbable at best. When your attention is focused on the pastor, it takes time for your brain to process what is going on in an event like this. To their credit, the parishioners reacted quickly and effectively. Unfortunately for the victims, they were in the wrong place and became first on the shooter's list.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Just found out the Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth took down all the 30.06/30.07 signs after Sutherland Springs. They "maintain" a no gun policy, whatever that means. How do you enforce 30.06 without a sign?

Anyhow, I noticed the signs were gone last year but didn't think much into it.

The politics of the Vatican really interfere with my Catholic faith... if that makes sense.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Top Bottom