Venture Surplus ad

Mom Spends Night in Jail for ..... Letting kids play outside 9yr and 6yr olds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Makes me afraid of letting my kids play outside. I'd let them play outside at 5 checking on occasion in my front yard. My youngest is 9... :banghead:

What is an acceptable age to let your kids play outside??? Mom sues police over arrest | News - Home

Tammy Cooper said she was wrongly accused of endangering her children and was even forced to spend the night in jail, all because she let her kids play outside.
    She said her children, ages 9 and 6, were riding their motorized scooters in the cul-de-sac where they live while she watched from a lawn chair in her front yard just a few feet away.
    "I was out there the entire time," Cooper said. "I never left that lawn chair the entire time."
    Cooper said a little while later, a La Porte police car pulled up in front of her home.
    "I went out there to see what he was here for and he said, 'Ma'am, we're here for you.' I said, 'Oh really? Why?' He proceeded to tell me he had received a call from one of my neighbors that my kids were riding their scooters unsupervised.

Cooper said she was handcuffed, put in the back of a police car and forced to spend the night in jail.
    "Orange jumpsuit, in a cell, slammed the door, for 18 hours," Cooper said.
    The charges against her were eventually dropped but she still describes the ordeal as humiliating and said her children were even questioned by police and terrified.
    Lynx Defense

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Smh, my parents would have gotten fried for some of the crap we did as kids, it definitely is a different world now and days.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Un fucking believeable. That officer and police dept needs to do some time for that non sense and loose some stripes. Police States of America

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Waxahachie
    Man the times have changed since i was a kid, so you can go to jail for your kid playing outside, and this is the reason why all these kids are obease and stay inside and play video games all day. I'm scared to see what it will be like in 10 years.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Damn, what are we supposed to do - wrap them in bubble-wrap? Sounds like a neighbor feud, and the cop is a friend or relative of the complainant.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Maaaan, that's just one more thing for me to worry about as a single dad. It's already tough enough trying to make sure I'm following a strict set of rules when in public so my son doesn't get taken from me, but now I gotta stay 5 feet behind him when he plays out front? What's next-I need to be in his room with him while he plays to make sure he doesn't hurt himself there too?

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Careful - those Legos have some pretty sharp edges. Really makes you wonder and worry about the generation of people the nanny state wants to raise - so risk averse that any possibility of harm is unacceptable. Makes for obedient, pacifist citizens, hmm?

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    The neighbor who called in and the cops who made the arrest need to be kicked in the taint until their nose bleeds.

That's ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Gotta be more to the story, but anyway you look at it this was completely stupid.

I've go "one of those neighbors" that yells at anyone who lets their kid ride a bicycle. His wife finally had enough and is divorcing him, so the house is up for sale and the entire neighborhood is trolling for potential buyers.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    How in the hell could they think that the mother needed to be arrested?

Because she had two empty bottles of Boone's Farm Tickle Pink laying in the grass next to her lawn chair, drunk off her ass, yelling vulgarities at the neighbors, and became beligerant, offensive, and resistant when the officers tried to question her. :) Just saying that we don't know the whole story.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    There evidently is a lot more to the story. Channel 2 news said in their report "In addition, officers did contact the Harris County District Attorney's Office while on the scene that evening, upon which their Office accepted charges of Abandoning a Child on Ms. Cooper."

I wonder what was uncovered that the DA decided to drop charges? They first tell officers to arrest, then let her go. Strange event for sure.

Top Bottom