• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If the range quality matches the quality of the homes they build......meh. Not happening.
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well............ If the Lubbock contingency is willing to road trip to Abilene, I have my own range. I'm out to 200yd so far. It would take some coordinating though. I'm working in NM currently and home time is sporadic. Y'all let me know.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Well............ If the Lubbock contingency is willing to road trip to Abilene, I have my own range. I'm out to 200yd so far. It would take some coordinating though. I'm working in NM currently and home time is sporadic. Y'all let me know.

Would a said shooter be able to run and gun safely? :patriot:

I had the chance to get out on some land a while back and move and shoot, and standing in one place just doesn't do it for me anymore.

If I can move around and try to get in some "dynamic" shooting, I have absolutely NO problem driving to Abilene. Promise to take literally everything I bring in, including all of my brass I can find.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    In and out works. Left and right not so much. I have a "lane" cleared through the mesquites. We can do it though. No sense in the hill country and coastal boys having all the fun.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Abilene is only 3 hours away. Called Rustic Range, and their answering machine confirms that they are now closed to the public.

If you don't mind, I'll shoot you a PM with my schedule and then maybe, if it matches yours, we can get something worked out.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Ill be down there this weekin. Bringing the heat with me. Guess while my dad works ill be wheel barrowing dirt to build a better back stop. Man I wish he lived closer to those plataeus south of Abilene. Dang people and their homes. LOL

ke6mtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    I moved to Lubbock recently and had alot of fun at rustic. Any ranges between Lubbock and Midland? I did a search with no real answers found.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I moved to Lubbock recently and had alot of fun at rustic. Any ranges between Lubbock and Midland? I did a search with no real answers found.

County roads. LOL Went to the car show in Littlefield last weekend and made my way back on county roads. I saw some people shooting silhouettes on some land off of County Rd 1000. Between CR 6200 and Hwy 114. Just close range pistol stuff. Just looked like someone's property but they were all shooting the same type targets so maybe a private CHL teacher?

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    With no maintenance to really do and just what, property taxes to pay. $300 a person would be banking it wouldn't it? Kinda like storage units. They don't fix or change anything and it's pretty much guaranteed money each month.

Tech Gun Club

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Lubbock
    Kinda off topic, but anybody have about 250 lead .40S&W lead bullets I could trade you for? I have 9mm lead bullets and some-to-a-lot of several calibers of brass. We could meet up and get some donuts/coffee in in town and swap.

Olkev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Lubbock
    Within the last 6 years in Amarillo, the city built The Amarillo Shooting Complex by the City Landfill. for the police as well as the public. I just sent an email to the members of the Parks and Recreation Board, my city councilman, and the mayor requesting that they study the joint use concept like was done in Amarillo. I referenced the TP&W grant monies and NRA assistance as well. A full blown letter writing campaign can't hurt to encourage them to a the very least explore possibilities.

I got a response back from the Chair of the Parks & Recreation Board:

"I want to thank you for the email. I am not sure if you have received a response to your email from any of the others that were included, so I want to offer one to you from my perspective.

The Parks and Recreation Board is an advisory board appointed by the City Council. We meet each month to hear information and recommendations from the Parks and Recreation staff such as the request that you are making. What I would encourage you to do is make contact with Mr. Randy Truesdell in the Parks and Recreation Department and discuss your request and get the staff's input and recommendation. At some point, after staff has decided the best course of action for your request, it will be placed on the agenda for the Board to review and discuss and make/not make a recommendation to the City Council. If the Board feels that we need additional information, at that time is when we will convene a subcommittee to review the request in more detail and they will bring a presentation back to the entire Board."

I hope others will follow and contact Truesdell and let him know your thoughts rtruesdell@mylubbock.us

Hankster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    I just sent an email to Randy Truesdell. Also, an option would be to get Lubbock county to follow Amarillo's lead by allowing the public to share the old Shallowater Range confiscated by the Feds a few years ago when the owner was convicted of illegal gun sales and other drug related charges. If Amarillo can have a public range Lubbock should be able to do the same. Thanks! Hank

Hankster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    Received a reply from Randy Truesdell Tuesday, May 29, 2012:
    Thanks for your inquiry into a public shooting range. I have shot at Rustic Range and did not realize it had sold. I have talked to the Parks
    Director in Amarillo, in the past, in regards to their shooting range and I am somewhat familiar with it. We currently do not have any park property that is
    planned for a shooting range. The range at Shallowater may be something to check into. I am assuming the County Commissioners may be familiar with that property, have you contacted them?

I would be glad to meet with you and other interested persons. I do not have any parkland to consider for this use, but would be happy to help if I
    can.

Thanks, Randy

====================
    I will send a letter to the Lubbock County, Texas commissions to see if they can help.

Hank

Dredsen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Lubbock
    I think hes trying to tell us that theres no park land, and that means he can't help us. why not just expand the swat teams range out by reese? isnt that owned by the city.

prices may be kinda high but we need somwhere to shoot, i dont like the idea of going to gravel pits so far from town.

edit- i tried calling rustic and they dont even have that message up, maybe the uproar will make the owner realize how poor his buisness model he is, and if he just hires a range officer he has a nice moneymaker!

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I am having the hardest time finding somewhere to simply sight my new AR in. I know it's immature, but Betenbough can suck a big bag of dicks.

Hankster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    I drove to the Amarillo public range this past Saturday and had a lot of fun. Yes, it's a two hour drive from Lubbock but it is well worth it. In addition to the pistol range part it has a rifle range that goes to 300 yards. Anyway, until something is done in Lubbock I'm driving to Amarillo one weekend day every other week. At $15 for 3 hours of shooting it's very reasonable. There are a lot of good restaurants within 10 minutes of the range. The range building has tables to sit if you want to take a break from shooting and the rangemaster (all Amarillo Police officers) will watch your stuff for you. They have snack and soft drink machines in the non-smoking range building. Much better than Rustic Range where the smoke reeked in the very small range building. They sell ammo and targets at very competitive prices and but you can use your own targets if you want.

Hank

Olkev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Lubbock
    I think hes trying to tell us that theres no park land, and that means he can't help us. why not just expand the swat teams range out by reese? isnt that owned by the city.

prices may be kinda high but we need somwhere to shoot, i dont like the idea of going to gravel pits so far from town.

edit- i tried calling rustic and they dont even have that message up, maybe the uproar will make the owner realize how poor his buisness model he is, and if he just hires a range officer he has a nice moneymaker!

Here is what I got back from the police department:

I'm sorry your public shooting facility has closed and understand the frustration of shooters like yourself. The Lubbock Police Department range couldn't be opened to the public for a number or reasons. The liability issues are one but the scheduling is another. The City of Lubbock Police Department has Memorandums of Understanding (MOU's) with a variety of other law enforcement agencies to share the range. We also have training academy classes throughout the year. Neither the academy nor other agencies have set schedules when they wish to use the range. We have agreements to allow them flexibility. Also every officer at the police department has to qualify regularly with a variety of firearms. Since we are a 24/7/365 operation the range has to be available at anytime day and night for these required qualifications.
    Another issue is the LPD range is in a fenced complex. Once inside this secure area the public would have free access to the pistol range, rifle range, obstacle course, horse and K9 training areas and more importantly the SWAT training facility. We can't have the public on the range during training times in these other areas.

Sorry, I do not see a way for this to be feasible.

He makes it sound like they are shooting all day everyday . . . not to mention some double talk. I can't figure why the range in Lubbock is so radically different in operation than the one in Amarillo. The APD, I'm sure has other agencies using their range. They simply don't want to entertain the idea. I would have more respect for them if they would just say that with some reasonable justification. I hate being talked down to.

Top Bottom